Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie can NEVER be re-made?

its even hard to get my 19 year old roommate to watch planet of the apes, she hasnt once watched it. no one i talk to has ever heard of vincent price, ginger rogers, or marlene deitrich or any others for that matter, thats why remakes sell so well. many wont watch old movies because the special effects are "cheesy" they werent when they were new

The most original movies I've seen lately were blood baths ... Saw (the first one) and Hostel. They were actually intelligent though, and were like Alfred Hitchcock Presents on steroids. I can usually see the end coming in most films, but these threw me off.

i agree the new movies out are puzzeling, saw weirded me out, and it took me a while to get it. but yes it is like alfred hitchcock in a lot of ways. ALL of the romantic comedies are the same story, some with will smith others with hugh grant and sandra buolluck. isnt it sad that the only new ideas in movies are so gorey that people have to be taken out of the theater by ambulances

lol....*shamefull look* yeah, im in college at a huge party school none the less, its common here too...the victoms conditions are self enduced, there is now a warning at the bottom of the screen that says *caution do not enter if pregnant may become pregnant, or have any heart conditions, movie may cause heart attack or enduce labor...bring the kids*

**** "Bring the Kids" -nice one

im 16 n ma friend came over the other day and we watched "White Christmas"

she couldnt sit through the whole thing.

i said wats wrong so she told me its boring. but now she wants to watch the rest n said its not as as bad as she thought(Shes getting to like them slowly.)

ppl think cause its old its boring.

b4 i asked ma friends at skool if they knew who Gene Kelly was

of course they said no

then Fred Astaire

same reply

so i prayed to God the knew Frank Sinatra

they said yes

so i said how bout Dean Martin figuring you kno one you kno the other right

they said WHO... WHO IS DEAN MARTIN? OMG YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME. Then i asked one friend if she knew who Danny Kaye was... she said is that the new kid in skool.... my jaw dropped to the floor.

They dont know and just dont care. i watched Saw and you gotta give these ppl credit for coming up w that. Now if they just put all their brains together they might be able to come up w something useful like a cure for cancer... but no they come up w a show about torturing ppl. Smartness right there.

getting back to the point i think that any old musical can never be remade because no one can dance like Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. its sad rele. its like in white christmas that song that Danny Kaye sings "Choreography" ( I think thats how u spell it)

"Instead of dance

It's choreography"

MattHelm

Quote:

"Not really funny, but common..."

Situation you reference may not be funny. Your comment regarding situation? I laugh.

As far as re-hashed plots. I think the last original story was created circa 200 B.C.

B.C. is "Before The Common Era"...you know.

Rusty

I think maybe the Greeks wrote every known scenario back in the B.C.'s. The Odyssey is one plot line I never tire of, perhaps because I've lived it so many times. A friend and I would crawl pubs from Cambridge to Boston on several occasions (see also: weekly) and we'd often find that we missed the last bus and train back, and were apparently invisible to every taxi that passed. The walk home was when the real adventure would begin as we'd encounter a barrage of weirdos, liberal chicks and demented homeless people as we stopped along the way at bars, diners and convenient stores. Some stories can't help being remade. James Joyce was right to mix bars and Homer together.

<< she couldnt sit through the whole thing.

i said wats wrong so she told me its boring. but now she wants to watch the rest n said its not as as bad as she thought >> this happens a LOT in my house, with visiting nieces or nephews. Oh my gosh, this is so true. But once you have them interested, they will agree to look at more. Yeaaa!

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but as to the original question, I would have to say Schindler's List. Another choice is Kitty Foyle.

Matt,

Thanks for the link to the Nimoy/Shatner CD. I hate to admit this, but I have the original albums! LOL I've been collecting vinyl for 25 years, and they're in there with some other oddities! I even have an Adam West single, where he's doing a song called "Miranda", and one with Frank Gorshin.

Have you seen "Free Enterprise"? Worth a watch if you are into Trek. I realized what a geek I was after viewing it.

I agree with Hollywood re-hashing story lines. It just seems like they have run out of ideas. I think I'll watch the copy of "I'd Climb The Highest Mountain" that I picked up at a thrift store this afternoon.

I like Trek, but not really into it that much. It's funny how even the worst spin-off lasted longer than the original. You don't have Limoy's album where he sings The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins do you? Nimoy might be the first rapper.

MattHelm,

Quote:

"...A friend and I would crawl pubs from Cambridge to Boston on several occasions (see also: weekly) and we'd often find that we missed the last bus and train..."

I enjoyed your anecdote.

I thought it would have been a great addition to one of those--"What The 'Helm' Family Did The Past Year" letters.

I hope your mom or, whoever was in charge of the annual newsletter, added your reminiscence for 'spice'. Aunt Tilly would have been green with envy, "s***, next year I'll have to lie like a dog to 'top' my sister".

Rusty

Huntress,

You and any other Star Trek fan, will believe what I am about to write.

Everyone else? Probably not.

The first season of Star Trek, I begged my mother (she was working at Pennys for the Christmas season) for a spanky-new Penny's reel-to-reel tape recorder. I got the recorder for Christmas...yay! From December of that year, and for the next two and one-half years, I recorded the sound of every Star Trek episode. Not only did I fill up a bunch of reel to reel tapes, I listened to the tapes and...listened to tapes and...listened to the...

You get the idea.

The tapes are long gone.

However. The first season of Star Trek, I sent a fan letter (my one and only) to "Star Trek...NBC...Gene Roddenberry". A couple of months later I received (from Paramount) a manila envelope with: 1-8X10 picture of William Shatner ("Good Luck...William Shatner") and 1-8X10 picture of Leonard Nimoy ("Best Wishes...Leonard Nimoy").

If I have to turn my mom's house upside down, I am going to find those two pictures. I know they are stashed at her house...I just know it!

BTW: My fanaticism for Star Trek has cooled since that time. Aww.

Rusty

I do have 1-8X10 of George Takei autographed at, ahem...a Star Trek convention (ca. 1975).

I thought it would have been a great addition to one of those--"What The 'Helm' Family Did The Past Year" letters.

Ha! My family never exchanged the year's end newsletters with the aunts and uncles. I get all the inter-familial goings on via my mother's phone calls. When she gets to the aunts and cousins I place the receiver down, go and make a three course dinner, eat, check to see if she's done talking ... if not, I have coffee and dessert and then pick it back up and give the obligatory response. Then she asks a few questions searching for a bone to throw the aunt in exchange. My answers are short and concise to keep the mystery alive.

Do people usually send those newsletters with Season's Greetings cards?

Nothin' wrong with being a Star Trek fan.

I am one myself. In fact, I'm a fan of scifi in general - thus my username, which is derived from Star Trek and a show called Farscape. ;)

Personally, I think Star Trek fans get a bad rap. Sure, there are the 30-year-old guys who still live in their parents basements and have never had a date...but they are the exception rather than the rule, I think. There area alot of Trek fans (and scifi fans in general) who are 'normal' people. In fact, many are VERY intelligent people who like thinking about the future, space exploration, and about funky scientific theory such as alternative timelines, stable wormholes, existance in subspace, temporal mechanics, etc.

Of course, I think I might possibly be the only scifi fan I know of whose OTHER passion is classic film.

I guess I prefer the past and the future to the now. *lol*

MattHelm,

Quote,

"Do people usually send those newsletters with Season's Greetings cards?"

My experience? No...not my family.

Well...yes. Strangely, my mother gets an annual newsletter from a former neighbor. The newsletter has arrived for over forty years--since they moved to another part of the country! Even stranger, every year, my mom makes sure I read the thing during my Christmas visit.

I guess my mother thinks:

1) The former neighbor's 'doings' are important.

2) I remember the neighbors.

The answer is "no" to items 1) and 2). I was around five years old when the 'diary people' moved!

However. Based on what you have written about your family, I think you would agree--it is best to humor mom. I read the letter.

Rusty

Those letters are big with my dad's generation...Aunt Mildred always sends one that starts "Merry Christmas to one and all" and then is a laundry list of all of the years deaths, illnesses, disappointments and tragedies. Then it closes with "Wishing You Happiness in the Year to Come!" We always got a good laugh out of it.

I, of course, send nothing during the holidays.