Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MrWriteLA

My Favorite Trivia

Hitchcocks "Strangers on a Train" had Kasey Rogers (aka Laura Elliott) who played Larry Tate's wife and Marion Tate who was Aunt Clara on Bewitched.

vallo

Excellent! Quite right.

Now try this:

In the same film, what was the appropriate name of the amusement park boat that Bruno rode while stalking Miriam?

Bingo!

You obviously know your "Strangers" too well. :-) OK, let's switch to another movie.

This one may look obvious, but it's not...

Who was initially cast as the Tin Man in "The Wizard of Oz" (1939)?

>

>

> Who was initially cast as the Tin Man in "The Wizard

> of Oz" (1939)?

Buddy Ebsen. But he had to bow out because he was allergic to the paint or whatever it was they used on the character.

> Ray Bolger?

You got it!

Ebsen was originally cast as the Scarecrow. In one of those occasional occurences that used to happen back then, the two actors decided to swap roles... a decision Buddy Ebsen must have kicked himself for, considering what was to happen afterwards. (The allergy to the make-up, etc.)

Well done!

Try this one:

Long before James Cameron's Titanic won its Oscars, another Academy Award Best Picture winner featured a scene on board the ill-fated liner.

What was it?

CAVALCADE from 1933. I saw this on Fox Movie Channel last year. I wish a nice cleaned-up print would make it to dvd. It follows the lives of an English family from the 1890's to 1933. Based on a play by Noel Coward. Truly a forgotten best picture winner.

Sandy K

Message was edited by: Sandy K

sandykaypax

> CAVALCADE from 1933.

Congratulations, Sandy! Spot on!

Striking, isn't it, how similar Upstairs Downstairs was to Cavalcade, even to the scene on the ship. The Coward film must have been a major inspiration to the writers

OK, here's a "what movie is this line from?" question. Name the film, the actor who says it, and the two screenwriters who wrote it (who are better known for other achievements):

"'Patronizing'? Is that the word you meant to use?"

Another line from another character:

(Takes picture) "Perfect. A study of six hungry losers. Just kidding, gang."

A further clue:

Of the film's two writers--neither of whom ever wrote another screenplay, either together or apart--one (now deceased) was an actor principally associated with one iconic character, and the other (still alive) is a composer/lyricist.

I see another clue is in order:

The title character is killed by a hit-and-run driver before the opening credits.

Wow, I guess no one's seen this movie!

OK, another line from another character:

"I'm sorry, darling, I have to hang up now. One of my stars is peeing on my leg, something Garbo never did, even at her moldiest."