Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Favorite Trivia

Very good, Wordmaster! You got it!

The roles of Sheridan Whiteside (in "The Man Who...") and Waldo Lydecker (in "Laura") were both patterned after Woolcott's public persona, and the henpecked husband in the Fantasia 2000 "Rhapsody in Blue" segment was a Hirschfeldized caricature of Woolcott's physical appearance.

(Incidentally, Addison deWitt in "All About Eve" is not a Woolcott referent, but was based on George Jean Nathan.)

Thanks kindly, Mr. Write.

I wasn't too clear on the "Fantasia 2000" connection, but you've cleared that up. I can imagine what a Hirschfeld caricature of Woollcott might've looked like - an owl comes to mind...

I shall return with a question, as soon as I can devise one.

Both actresses went on to play the same roles in musical versions of the stories onstage. Russell played Eileen's older sister Ruth in "Wonderful Town," and Davis played the spinster schoolteacher in a much later stage version of "The Corn is Green" (just goes to show how good she was at playing older women, back in her younger days).