Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Favorite Trivia

Here's some more:

Both actors appeared in stage musicals at some point in their careers, but only the older one is really known as a musical performer, especially in his early films. The older actor played sympathetic parts almost exclusively. The younger actor's film roles got darker as he got older. He had much more success in films in the dark parts than he had had in any other kind. His stage roles were a bit sunnier for the most part.

The actress with whom both actors co-starred, separately, is one of the world's favorites.

All three of the people described above are deceased.

Remember: the question here is what these two actors had in common. If I told you their names, it would be a simple lookup.

> One pair would be (though maybe not totally fitting

> your description) Walter Pidgeon and John Raitt.

> They both were in Judy Garland films. (Raitt was an

> extra in "Little Nelly Kelly.")

No, Bill, they aren't the ones. This pairing is and odd one, one you wouldn't think would have many non-professional things in common.

Here's more:

The younger actor was both a supporter and a lead player. Although hardly a jock, he starred in a sports biopic (shown on TCM), very credibly. The older actor was always a supporting player, until he got to television, where he was eventually the lead in two different series. He was one of the first actors to have a popular series of the kind that seems to have reached its zenith with Angela Lansbury. (That should help a bit.)

Who are they, and what non-professional similarity did they share?

It sure sounds to me like Buddy Ebsen and James Stewart.

They were both tall. Stewart was both a supporting player and a star. Ebsen was ALWAYS a supporting player until he got into television, which made him the star of "The Beverly Hillbillies" and later "Barnaby Jones."

They both appeared with Judy Garland, a renowned and popular star. Stewart in "Ziegfeld Girl" (1941), Ebsen in "Broadway Melody of 1938" (1937).

Their common bond? Neither were singers, but both were compelled to sing in the movies. Also, they were both Republicans, in an industry dominated by Democrats.

Dan N.

Ah, my Triv1a colleagues, you make me proud.

Buddy Ebsen is one of the actors I'm thinking of. But you are off on the other one, both times. Put those thinking caps into high gear.

The second actor in this instance has been in a musical on Broadway, but he is not really known as a musical performer. He has been in some comedies, as well, but he is known primarily as a dramatic actor. His showbiz connection to Ebsen is minimal, save that they both co-starred with a very famous actress in separate movies. The original question I posed was what these two men had in common in real life.

Let's see --- Actor #2 first rose to real prominence as a replacement in a Broadway play considered very controversial in the 1950s. The original star of that play did the part in the film version, but by that time, Actor #2 was probably better known.

His career in film, stage and in occasional made-for-TV-movies spanned 40 years, but he never really lost his deceptively boyish looks. He felt he was typecast after the reception of his most famous and popular film, so he went to Europe and made movies there. Ultimately, he decided he might as well capitalize on the popularity of that character, and upon his return to the US he portrayed it in several more films, both figuratively and literally. That character is now a cinema icon.

Find Actor #2, and then you can tell us what he and Buddy Ebsen had in common.

Hey, folks, don't mind me - I'm just the poser of the question.

Well, you got it - the two tall actors in question are Buddy Ebsen and Tony Perkins, both of whom co-starred in films with Audrey Hepburn, and both of whom attended, but did not graduate from, Rollins College in Florida.

We all got a good workout with that one, didn't we?

OK - I'm ready to be on the solving end -- who's got another one?

"When Thurl Ravenscroft sings "You're a Mean One, Mister Grinch," how long is the pole he wouldn't touch the Grinch with?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com"

Did no one understand the question? It has to do with the Christmas classic cartoon, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

I'll leave it up till midnight, unless someone answers it correctly before then.

Merry Merry!

Dan N.

I know it's Sandy's turn, but so many of us are doing other things for this Holiday week (and others of us are stuck in offices, even though nothing's going on, the phones aren't ringing, no one else is here, it's completely pointless . ..... . sorry). Here's a quickie for those who may be reading this today:

What do the following actors have in common:

Edith Evans

Bette Davis

Alan Young

> Does the answer have anything to do with England?

> Bette Davis tried to leave Warners in the late 30s

> to make films in the UK and the other two are from

> the UK.

An amazing coincidence, but no, in this case. This was something that had nothing to do with nationality, and was outside the movie industry.

> Many celebrities of the past "dabbled" in

> this

>

> The occult - contacting the dead?

No, it was something a bit more mainstream that than.

Edith Evans made a lifelong commitment to this - perhaps it is mentioned in a bio of her. The other two looked into it at some point in their lives, but I can't say whether they made it a part of their lives in the long term.

> Many celebrities of the past "dabbled" in

> this

>

> The occult - contacting the dead?

No - it's something a bit more mainstream.

It's something that would probably be mentioned in Edith Evans' bio.