Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Favorite Trivia

MrWriteLA

Well I said Carol Channing before..do you mind if I take a guess with Mary Martin?

No, I don't mind.

Mary Martin had a minor career on Broadway before going into the movies. She appeared in ten (10) films in the late 1930s and '40s. (The IMDb lists nine films, but they omit mention of her role in "Night and Day" [1946)]).

After her film career ended, Miss Martin really lit up the Broadway sky, performing in "The Sound of Music," "South Pacific," "Peter Pan," and also won acclaim in the touring company of "Annie Get Your Gun."

Our mystery guest appeared in only five (5) films, so it is not Mary Martin.

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

My guess would be Dolores Gray.

I like the way you think. Dolores Gray would have been a close contender, but... sorry, it isn't she.

Our mystery guest made five (5) movies overall; Ms. Gray appeared in six (6). Besides, I said that our M.G. began film career by appearing in three (3) flop musicals in a row. Ms. Gray, on the other hand, first appeared in "Lady for a Night" (1942), and she was not the star and it was not a musical. Next, she appeared in the heavy drama "Mr. Skeffington" (1944) in support of Bette Davis and Claude Rains.

The more I dig into this, the more I come to think our M.G. was sui generis -- one of a kind. This person was a MAJOR star on Broadway, then flopped in Hollywood, then returned to Broadway and once again became a MAJOR star.

Who could it be?

Dan N.

This person was a MAJOR star on Broadway, then flopped in Hollywood, then returned to Broadway and once again became a MAJOR star.

Who could it be?

Ethel Merman, says Bill, without checking anything.... but I still have the feeling you're meaning it's a male, with your talk about people not asking.

Bill

This person was a MAJOR star on Broadway, then flopped in Hollywood, then returned to Broadway and once again became a MAJOR star.

Who could it be?

Ethel Merman, says Bill, without checking anything.... but I still have the feeling you're meaning it's a male, with your talk about people not asking.

Bill

I keep telling people, our mystery guest made only five (5) films and no TV shows!

Ethel Merman has 20 theatrical films to her credit, according to the IMDb... and a whole lot of TV work.

Cheers,

Dan N.

I'm new here, so I don't know how you run your trivia games; but, are we going to get anymore hints? I'm completely frustrated by this question. Mostly, because I've been an avid theater-goer, since 1959. My guess is I may have actually seen this person. Can we get a timeframe of this person's stage stardom, either pre or post Hollywood?

I'm new here, so I don't know how you run your trivia games; but, are we going to get anymore hints? I'm completely frustrated by this question. Mostly, because I've been an avid theater-goer, since 1959. My guess is I may have actually seen this person. Can we get a timeframe of this person's stage stardom, either pre or post Hollywood?

Hi johnm001... Welcome to the Trivia boards. I haven't been here that long myself, but here's what I believe are the rules:

Someone asks a Trivia question, and the other members try to guess the answer. The OP can furnish additional clues if he/she chooses to, or members can ask questions that can be answered yes or no. Eventually someone comes up with the right answer.

My understanding is that a Trivia question has a shelf-life of one week. If no one answers correctly after seven days, we pull the plug and the game starts again, with a new question.

Hope this helps.

Dan N.

>

> Oh, by the way, Dan, is this person male or

> female?

>

>

> Yes.

>

> Dan N.

No.

That won't do. And stop taunting and old woman, it isn't chivalrous. ;)

So - what you are implying is that this person is hermaphroditic? Or are you just being coy? Your doling out of clues has been pretty stingy.

Or maybe you can't think of any that won't give it away . . . . ?

That won't do. And stop taunting an old woman, it isn't chivalrous. ;)

So - what you are implying is that this person is hermaphroditic? Or are you just being coy? Your doling out of clues has been pretty stingy.

Or maybe you can't think of any that won't give it away . . . . ?

Judy, Judy, Judy.... No, I certainly am NOT trying to taunt you. The reason I answered as I did is that I thought the only questions allowed here are those that can be answered with "yes" or "no."

However, Judith, since it's YOU... I'll do the chivalrous, Valentine's Day sort of thing and tell you: The mystery guest is FEMALE.

Bonus clue: She lived a long life.

Dan N.

P.S.: Are we friends again?

D.

Well, I know that Kitty Carlisle doesn't fit, because of the TV involvement; but I keep thinking it's her, so I'll post this, and get it out of my system!

Good, you got that out of your system. No, it isn't Kitty Carlisle. As you noted, she had a long career in television... plus, she appeared in seven (7) movies, more than our mystery guest. And though our MG lived a long life, it wasn't as long as Kitty's.

Cheers,

Dan N.

> Well, I know that Kitty Carlisle doesn't fit, because

> of the TV involvement; but I keep thinking it's her,

> so I'll post this, and get it out of my system!

I thought of Kitty Carlisle too, but it looks like she made more than a handful of movies, and I wouldn't call her a MAJOR Broadway star. Notice that Dan is now referring to the mystery guest in the past tense, so I suppose that means she's now deceased. I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank here -- Gertrude Lawrence? Beatrice Lillie? Maxine Elliott? Adah Isaacs Mencken?

And Dan, we will always be friends if you promise *never*, *never* to call me "Judy." (shudder) For some reason, many people seem to find "Judith" difficult, so JB is fine too.

I thought of Kitty Carlisle too, but it looks like she made more than a handful of movies, and I wouldn't call her a MAJOR Broadway star. Notice that Dan is now referring to the mystery guest in the past tense, so I suppose that means she's now deceased. I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank here -- Gertrude Lawrence? Beatrice Lillie? Maxine Elliott? Adah Isaacs Mencken?

Judith, I hope you noticed the intervening post, where johnm_001 posited Kitty Carlisle, and then I told him (if a him he be) that although our mystery guest had a long life, it wasn't as long as Kitty's... which, I believe, is still going strong.

According to the IMDb, Gertrude Lawrence, Beatrice Lillie, and Maxine Elliott all had longer movie and TV careers than did our MG. A run of the name Adah Isaacs Mencken came up empty.

The more I think about this star, the more I think she is truly one of a kind. She was the Toast of Broadway, then went to Hollywood and flopped, then RETURNED to Broadway and once again soared to the top. Anyway, that's what I read on her Internet pages. Has anyone EVER done this again?

Wonder who she is?

Cheers,

Dan N.

Fanny Brice??

I do hope you folks are reading all the clues.

Fanny Brice made seven (7) movies, more than our mystery guest did.

I've said our MG "lived a long life." But Fanny Brice died at 59, not what I'd consider a long life. Hell, I'm older than that!

But the BIG clue is that our MG was on the top rung of the Broadway ladder, popularity-wise, before she went into the movies... and, after three flops and two more films, she returned to Broadway and was AGAIN the Toast of The Great White Way!

But, although Fanny Brice starred in the Ziegfeld Follies early in life, then went into the movies, her next incarnation was not a return to Broadway, but stardom in RADIO! She was the star of her own radio show, "Baby Snooks," which paired her with "Daddy," Hanley Stafford... and from what I read, she was still doing that show when she suffered her final illness. So I'm thinking she never returned to Broadway, much less became the Toast of the Town all over again.

I appreciate all of you who have responded to my little trivia question. Thank you.

Dan N.

Archived