• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MrWriteLA

My Favorite Trivia

indeed!

like i said....very easy.

i chose him because i was doing a paper on him, and when i looked at his wikepedia bio....

it was one of the longest i had ever read.

good job

your turn

karith :)

Wikipedia bio!!! It didn't even occur to me that that was what you meant.

What happened to books? You'll find far more information on Welles in books than you'll ever see online.

What is this generation coming to? (I sometimes hate it that I'm old enough to say that.)

Anyway -

Let's talk about John Houseman.

In the 1940s, John Houseman was instrumental in the formation of something that once had great international importance. Political events of the recent past, along with technological advances, have rendered that entity somewhat obsolete. What is it?

In the 1940s, John Houseman was instrumental in the formation of something that once had great international importance. Political events of the recent past, along with technological advances, have rendered that entity somewhat obsolete. What is it?

After Pearl Harbor, John Houseman became chief of the overseas radio division of the OWI (Office of War Information), which established the famous "Voice of America" broadcasts during World War II.

Dan N.

Correct.

And he did it the old fashioned way.

You're up.

Correct.

And he did it the old fashioned way.

You're up.

Here's a quickie that I'm sure will be answered correctly before the evening is done:

What musical has been filmed THREE TIMES, all under the same title, and all in full sound versions?

Caveat: Excerpts don't count. Of course there have been variations in the different versions, but I believe that only one musical has been rendered into a full-length, sound film three different times. Name it.

Cheers,

Dan N.

State Fair?

No, not that one. I was pretty sure someone would come up with this title, because "State Fair" was filmed three times -- in 1933, 1945, and 1962. But the 1933 version was NOT a musical.

The first musical version of "State Fair" was in 1945, with music and lyrics by Rodgers and Hammerstein. The 1962 version is also a musical. But the 1933 Will Rogers version is not.

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Is it Showboat?

No. My original question specifically asks for three (3) full sound versions. The 1929 "Show Boat" was part silent, part talkie.

The musical in question was filmed three times, in full sound versions.

Dan N.

Moulin Rouge (2001)

Moulin Rouge (1941)

Moulin Rouge (1940)

...and you could have added: Moulin Rouge (1928) and Moulin Rouge (1934). But no, that's not the musical in question.

The various versions of "Moulin Rouge" have different story lines. The title, which of course means "The Red Mill," is generic and could have been applied to any number of works.

The first "Moulin Rouge" (1928) was written by Ewald Dupont, the 2001 version came from the fevered imagination of Baz Luhrmann, and the 1952 film boasts a screenplay by John Huston. But they are different stories.

What is the ONE MUSICAL that's been filmed in complete sound versions, three times? As I said in the first post, there have been variations on the basic story; but not a wholesale hijacking of it.

By the way: Though I didn't say this in the beginning, I thought it should be a given: the musical numbers are the same, in every version.

Dan N.

Sorry, Dan. You're the man! I love your trivia pages!

How about The Gay Nineties?

Message was edited by:

SueSueApplegate

Message was edited by:

SueSueApplegate

Sorry, Dan. You're the man! I love your trivia pages!

The Gay Nineties?

Thanks, SueSue... But I believe the original question asks for a "full-length" feature film. The only mention I can find of "The Gay Nineties" is a two-reel short.

So, "The Gay Nineties" it's not.

Cheers,

Dan N.

> Could it be The Jazz Singer?

> (1929,1952, 1980)

>

> Message was edited by:

> SueSueApplegate

The first version was actually made in 1927, not 1929. And IIRC it was (like the 1929 "showboat") mostly a silent with a few sound sequences.

Could it be The Jazz Singer?

(1929,1952, 1980)

This is getting to be quite the interesting topic!

Wow, look at the film titles that have been floated here: "State Fair," "Show Boat," "Moulin Rouge," "The Jazz Singer...." I'm fascinated that there are so many fans of musicals on this board. All of the suggested titles are possible answers to the trivia question, but for a detail or two, here and there.

"The Jazz Singer" (1927), was of course a part-talkie; in fact it was more a silent film than a talkie.

We need to name the musical that was made -- at feature length -- THREE TIMES, all three versions bearing the same title, and all of them full sound pictures, with no silent segments.

I was wrong in thinking you would could come up with it before midnight. But you'll get it tomorrow.

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Dan N.

Dan the Man,

Desert Song!

PF

Peef, you've got it right! "The Desert Song" it is!

Nineteen twenty-nine, 1943, and 1953 were the years this Sigmund Romberg classic was brought to the screen -- all in full-length, all-talkie versions.

You're up, Peef.

Dan N.

Well no wonder it's hard to remember these movies!

According to the imdb.com (in the entry for the 1943 version) -

Unfortunately, due to legal issues with the screenplay and music rights, this version, along with the 1929 two-strip Technicolor version, cannot be shown on television or released to video. It is, however, safely stored in the Turner vaults and hopefully TCM will be able to show it in the future.