Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Favorite Trivia

Gilda: I just put in the recommendation. I've never seen it either and would love to see that version.

Dan: You're better at this. I can't think of a question at the moment. I'll pass it to you, if you don't mind.

Best PF

Dan: You're better at this. I can't think of a question at the moment. I'll pass it to you, if you don't mind.

Sure, Peef. Name the New York-born Oscar winner who, in addition to English, is fluent in other European languages, and even recorded a song in Japanese.

Dan N.

Dan, is it Jennifer Connelly?

Yes, it is. Jennifer Connelly won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for "A Beautiful Mind" (2001), is fluent in Spanish and French, and cut a record in Japanese.

You're up, Judith.

Dan N.

Hmmm . . . . .

Name a foreign-born actor who had great critical success with a fictional work in the English language. (I don't mean name any such actor - I have a particular actor in mind.)

Name a foreign-born actor who had great critical success with a fictional work in the English language. (I don't mean name any such actor - I have a particular actor in mind.)

Yeah, I'm sure you have someone particular in mind. But foreign-born actors who do well in Hollywood are legion. We could name literally HUNDREDS of such persons, and you would say no to all of them.

Try to pin it down better than that.

Dan N.

You are right, Dan. I asked this question badly. That's what happens when you try to do this while you're in the office doing eight or nine other things simultaneously.

What I mean is, this actor had critical success as the *author* of a work of fiction. Sorry about that.

You say this person is "foreign-born." I take that to mean outside the U.S.

Well, Noel Coward was born in Middlesex, England. He acted in about a dozen movies and several TV shows.

He was also an author, with "Private Lives" and "Blithe Spirit" probably his most successful works.

Even if you have someone else in mind... you must admit, Noel Coward fits the profile you submitted.

Dan N.

I'm happy to admit that Noel Coward fits the description to a point. But he's not the actor I'm referring to.

Yes, I do mean someone born outside the US. But this person was not a playwright - I'm speaking of a book here. Note that I said the work was "critical" success. Those who write know what that means in vis-a-vis "popular" success.

This book was a sort of collaboration, and the actor was actually not the original author. The original author was born in the same country as the actor. Does that suggest anything to you?

The actor in question is not well know by today's audiences, but they may have heard his name mentioned every year.

Sheldon Leonard and Ozzie Nelson.

Assuming these are correct (they sure sound it), the rest would be they're producer/directors, and Leonard cast Bill Cosby in "I Spy," making him (according to IMDB) one of the first black leading men. Of course, Ozzie and Harriet (Hilliard) were from the big-band era, and Rick was the younger generation's idol.

Bill

(perfectly willing these days to pick up crumbs!)

...they both reached the rank of Eagle Scout.

I missed that part - was just thinking about both being producer/directors. Wow!

Signing off - been trying to catch up after being away last week - and this is as high (from the bottom of the threads) as I've risen in over a week! It's 2AM here; time to turn in.

Bill

Yes, my friend, you are the most "trivial" of all -- how about another question from you?

Thanks Judith, thanks a lot for that faint praise. And as usual, your questions involve someone with four legs. Ozzie and Sheldon had two legs apiece, no?

Name the actress who had a long, celebrated career in films, on stage, and on radio. She had a "heavenly" nickname. In one of her films she smoked cigars; in another she impersonated a fabled adventuress.

Who is she?

Dan

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Name the actress who had a long, celebrated career in films, on stage, and on radio. She had a "heavenly" nickname. In one of her films she smoked cigars; in another she impersonated a fabled adventuress.

Who is she?

No guesses yet, so here's another clue:

I've already told you this much-beloved star of stage, screen, and radio was female, not male. Regardless, in her first two film roles her characters were MALE.

Not only that, but in one of her most popular films, she played a woman pretending to be a man... and no, it's not Julie Andrews. Quite a gender bender, for its time.

Who is she?

Dan

Jessie Matthews

I don't know all her details, but I believe she played the Prince of Wales in a silent, and she was the star of the movie musical "Evergreen," where she sang "Dancing on the Ceiling."

YESS!!! Judith is right -- again!

Jessie Matthews is our mystery guest, all right. As a 16-year-old, she played Edward, Prince of Wales, in "This England" (1923). Later in her career, she starred in "First a Girl" (1935), where she played a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman. It was the first English-language version of the German film "Victor and Victoria," which of course became a big hit -- much later -- for Julie Andrews and James Gardner.

On only one small point did Judith err. In "Tom Thumb" (1958), Julie played Tom's mother, not Tom himself.

If you guys don't mind my boring you with this story once again: I once got to meet the legendary Jessie Matthews, when she played her one-woman concert in Santa Monica in 1980. After the show I met her briefly, told her how wonderful she was, and held her little hand in mine. Made my day, it did.

Judith has ceded her turn to ask a new trivia question. Anyone else out there want to give it a go?

Cheers,

Dan