Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Favorite Trivia

MrWriteLA

Yes, Dan, you should ask another one!

Okay, here goes:

Name the Kansas-born film actor and director who had a long career, working on stage, in movies, and on television. He served in the U.S. army in one of the World Wars. His best film is today remembered as an enduring masterpiece, though it lost money on its original release.

Who is he?

Dan

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

"On only one small point did Judith err. In "Tom Thumb" (1958), Julie played Tom's mother, not Tom himself."

Uh, Uh, Dan, that wasn't me. I'm innocent, I tell you. I said nothing about "Tom Thumb." That was the other guy. And I think you meant "Jessie" not "Julie" played Tom Thumb's mother? Gotta stop trying to input Trivia while you're simultaneously preparing your Sunday dinner.

Now, Gilda - I think you're trying to pull a fast one on us.

Are you referring to Disney's "Melody Time" of 1948, which was*released* (but not produced) by RKO, and which introduced the animated version of the Western legend Pecos Bill?

Sneaky.

[some research sites will tell you that Pecos Bill isn't really a Western legend, but was created by a writer named Edward O'Reilly in 1923.]

I don't really have anything very good to offer. Let's see . . .

Name an actor primarily know for comedy who has three public spaces named for him - two on the East Coast, and one on the West Coast.

> I don't really have anything very good to offer.

> Let's see . . .

>

> Name an actor primarily know for comedy who has three

> public spaces named for him - two on the East Coast,

> and one on the West Coast.

Nope, nope, scratch that. I am very sorry my fellow Trivians. I goofed. In fact, this actor has two public spaces on the East Coast named for him, and the public space on the West Coast is named for his *son*. (By "public space," I mean space and/or facilities used by the general public.)

Here's a hint:

The actor in question didn't look it, but he was actually very interested in athletics, and early in his career he appeared in films as a stuntman. However, he appeared on stage as a singer and comic, and kept to comedy in his later, much more successful, radio, movie, and TV career. The public facility on the West Coast is named for his son, who he sadly outlived.

Thanks, Jude...

I'm thinking of an Asian-born actress whose first name (in screen credits) is avian. She appeared in many stage plays and more than 50 films, including one in which she appears with Lynn Redgrave. But aside from that film, she and Redgrave took part in an even more illustrious event.

Who is she?

This one is so easy, I hate myself already.

Dan

I'm thinking of an Asian-born actress whose first name (in screen credits) is avian. She appeared in many stage plays and more than 50 films, including one in which she appears with Lynn Redgrave.

But aside from that film, she and Redgrave took part in an even more illustrious event. Who is she? This one is so easy, I hate myself already.

Well, not THAT easy - "actress, born in ..." over and over till "in Japan" came up with Lisa Pelikan, in playing the younger Julia to Redgrave. Whoops, no, she was born in Paris, though RAISED in Japan. And her LAST name is avian. Darn......

And I was "that close," I thought!

Bill

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0670852/

OK, Dan, 'fess up. I think it is Googie Withers you are thinking of. I just looked her up.

Her real name is Georgette Withers, and her professional name is Googie Withers. She was born in India. "Googie" means "pigeon" in Hindi. She and Lynn Redgrave were both honorees on Queen Elizabeth's 2002 New Years Honors (or should that be "Honours") List.

OK, Dan, 'fess up. I think it is Googie Withers you are thinking of. I just looked her up.

I'm 'fessin', Judith, I'm 'fessin'....

Googie Withers is correct! I was inspired to post this question when I read recently that she is still with us. She turned 90 on March 12, and is apparently still acting. She was in a play with the OTHER Redgrave, Vanessa, as recently as 2002.

She also appeared with Michael Redgrave in several films. All of this would have eventually been offered as additional clues, but you were too quick for me.

Take it away, J.!

Dan

Good ol' Googie. Seeing her in "Miranda" recently, I thought she looked rather like Gypsy Rose Lee, and that's not a bad thing. Very elegant.

Here's one:

Aside from any films they may have acted in together (and I don't think there are any), what do Maureen O'Hara and Ernest Borgnine have in common?

Name the Oscar-winning actress who made a splash and "stole the show" from the stars in only her second credited film role. In addition to the Oscar, this lady has a theater award and is related to a famous politician.

Who is she?

Dan

Is it Goldie Hawn?

She won a best supporting actress Oscar for her second credited role, in "Cactus Flower." Her father was Edward Rutledge Hawn, a descendant of Edward Rutledge of South Carolina, a signer of the Delcaration of Independence.

Well, finally! I finally posted a question that Judith can't answer in the first two minutes!

Goldie did win an Academy Award for "Cactus Flower" (1969), but to my knowledge she is not the recipient of a theater award, e.g., Tony, Equity, Drama League et al.

And while Edward Rutledge did sign the Declaration of Independence and served in the Continental Congress, his name does not leap to mind today, as a quote-unquote "famous politician."

When considering this question, think famous -- VERY famous -- politician.

And, for submitting a guess, you are entitled to an additional clue. Here it comes:

The actress, and the politician she is related to, are still alive (at least they were when I began this post).

Cheers,

Dan

Guess we'll have to carry on without Judith, or at least until her allergies let up.

Here are some more clues to the identity of our mystery guest:

As I said, she's an Oscar winner and is related to a famous politician. They are both still living.

Also: Our MG and her husband have been married for over forty years, and I guess in Hollywood that's considered a long relationship.

So who is this remarkable lady?

Dan

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Hey, Dan, what's up.

You know, Dukakis was my very first thought for your question, but in what movie did she "steal the show?" Are you talking about "Moonstruck?" Feh. Wouldn't even have occurred to me.

I guess even trivia games are subjective. I never thought of Dukakis as a show-stealer -- a show "off" maybe. But then, that's my opinion; I'm not up Dukakis-lore.

Let's press on, shall we? Who's up.

Archived