Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was watching An American In Paris (1951) and noticed that in the credits it said "Lyrics By Ira Gershwin and Music by George Gershwin"...but I recalled that George Died During the making of Shall we dance (1937). Can someone Explain to me How George Gershwin Could have written the music for a movie nearly 15 years after his death?

Totallee,

George Gershwin wrote the music and published "An American in Paris- A Tone Poem for Orchestra in 1928.

Years later when MGM bought the rights to make the movie, that included using Ira to write any necessary lyrics.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

From wikipedia about George:

"Another well-known Gershwin piece is "An American in Paris. " It is a long tone poem for orchestra. Its first public performance was by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra in 1928."

Forgive me, but I'm a bit confused by your question. George Gershwin also wrote much of the music in Funny Face (1956). Merely proof that a composer's work can live on after his death.

>>Can someone Explain to me How George Gershwin Could have written the music for a movie nearly 15 years after his death?

?I for some reason thought that the music for a movie was written while the movie was being made my apoligies for being such an idiot I guess.?

Some Hollywood movies were based in part or totally on earlier Broadway musical shows. Some movie biographies might contain segments of earlier Broadway musicals. James Cagney?s ?Yankee Doodle Dandy? is a good example.

Gershwin also "wrote" the music for several Woody Allen films.

Bear in mind that virtually all the songs in 1952's SINGIN' IN THE RAIN were written in the 1920s (none by the Gershwins, of course; this is only an analogy), and were cherry-picked from the MGM song catalog by Arthur Freed, Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen as that film project was developed.

Songs are made to be used, and re-used.