Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I'm new here and 14 years old and the only one at my school who loves classic films, my whole life is classic movies. The reason why I became a fan is because of TCM---it was august 2004 and i was switching channels and it was summer under the stars which on that day was Ginger Rogers--i saw her and Fred Astaire dancing the "Isn't it a Lovely Day" and I became hooked--at the end of the day i saw 5 of her movies and she became my favorite actress

I was about your age when I discovered classic movies but that was long ago and definitely a galaxy far, far away- before the invention of satellight, cable, dvd or vhs, when we had to walk 5 miles through the snow and could only see classic movies on the Million Dollar Movie or late at night when our parents thought we were sleeping. Well, maybe not the walking 5 miles through the snow, but the rest is true. :)

So I am always glad to hear that someone else has discovered our national treasure.

Enjoy it and pass it on. If you want to discuss the films we are all here to chat with you!

I know exactly how you feel RetroBrittz, I'm only 12 and have been watching the old musicals since last easter (2005) when i saw The Bandwagon. I find it interesting to see my friends reactions to the old films and a lot of time i get them hooked on Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire. I feel like I'm exposing my generation to the good movies. I never have wanted to post my age, not only for privacy issues, but I'm not sure if other people on the board will take my opinions seriously. Plus i don't think weird people will be coming to the TCM boards to find kids to stalk lol.

Hello RetroBrittz and Bellanosey,

I am half a century older than you both but I'm glad you're both into good solid entertainment.

May I recommend to both of you to get a copy of the book - "Hollywood Picks the Classics - A Guide for the Beginner & the Aficionado" by Afton Fraser, published by Bulfinch Press, New York & Boston........

Maybe your library may have a copy.

You will learn miriads about old movies and with pictures and gossip too!!

Afton Fraser is the wife of Brandon Fraser of "The Mummy" fame...

Good luck,

Larry

I am 44 years old. I can still remember, when I was 8 years old, my mother saying good night and as soon as she closed my bedroom door I would put my TV up really close to my face (so I could keep the sound low -so she wouldn't hear) and watch a channel that had a show called "Movies til Dawn" which featured all the old great musicals/comedies/drama, etc. I would watch those old movies, one after another, until dawn -literally. To this day I love the old classics, even the silly ones that are formulaic. I think I love the old predictable musicals and fun movies because I know they will have a good ending -it's a feel good thing. There are so many depressing things in real life that it is good to just be entertained. Don't get me wrong, I love the old film noir too. Nothing like Sunset Blvd -BRILLIANT film -way ahead of it's time. I own the movie and sat to watch it twice in a row the other day. Everything about the movie is artistic -the script, the actors, the plot, the narration -fantastic with a capital F! Another great film -Imitation of Life and that film with James Mason where he falls in love with his girlfriend's daughter... forget the name.

It's always nice to see other young fans. I'm 26, and still consider myself a "young" classic movie fan myself. But I've been hooked since I was about 3, laughing at Laurel and Hardy and Abbott and Costello, so I guess by now I'm an old timer!

It's nice to see that you were introduced to the classics with the great Fred and Ginger movies. When I was a teen, I would come home from a crappy (for lack of a better word) day at school, pop "Shall We Dance" or "Swing Time" into the VCR, and get lost in a glittering, art deco, 1930's paradise.

Happy viewing, and keep posting here on the boards.

I too would get up after my parents went to bed so i could watch the old horror flicks, "Dracula" "Frankenstein" etc., and i consider old horror flicks a lot better than the so-called horror movies that comes out today. Its good to see younger people watching classic movies, not just the crap that comes out today, but not all of it is crap .

It's always good to see young classic film fans. My 13 year old sister would never sit through about 97% of all the old movies I watch, so it's good to see people near her age that will. =)

I'm 19, but I've been hooked since I was about 3. It all started with my great-grandmother (who used to baby-sit me) and Julie Andrews. It's only grown from there.

I hope you'll keep posting on the boards and discussing these wonderful films!

I have found that all my friends my age love the Gene Kelly movies i make them watch (lol) so if you want to get young teen into classics maybe you should use Singin' in the Rain or Summer Stock. As for your book suggestion vecchiolarry, Ill have to check my library for it, they have what i call the "Hollywood" section, that has biographies and documentary books about stars and movies. I've already read a few books from there, Fred Astaire biography, 2 Gene Kelly biographys, The Hollywood Musical, and right now im reading a Bing Crosby biography from there.

Glad you discovered the movies. Believe me, your journey is just starting. Enjoy watching them. You can live for today, without forgetting the past. Even my siblings, didn't get into old movies. That's OK. It's their LOST.

You couldn't of pick a better actress to start watching. Rogers is a delight.

I consider myself young, lol.

I love classic movies and i can't stand modern-day movies, especially ones in color. I have this attachment for black and white films and ones from other countries.

I started likeing classic movies because my family use to watch Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and the Marx Brothers every weekend since i could remember, about three years old maybe.

I use to get Charlie Chaplin and Charlie Brown (from Peanuts) names confused.

I gradually became familar with just classic movies about two years ago. I ventured through different movies and now im almost an expert at it. ; )

I really enjoy TCM. It's my favorite channel. But it does get sad when none of my friends or peers my age know what im talking about.

I rely on talking to my parents and elders about different movies. But its really fun to talk to them. There much more mature =)

Message was edited by:

Kayla

Hey! I'm 14,too. I'm so happy to see other young people on this site! My "obsession" started when i found a copy of "The Gay Divorcee" in our movie collection. (which i may point out is mostly animated Disney fairytales) Growing up in the modern-day culture that we do, you can imagine what my first thought was. I dropped the E on the end and thought "The Gay Divorce"????? Why the heck do we have this movie?? My mom quickly corrected that it was "The Gay DivorcEE" but I still didn't understand. Then while I was at dance camp (I've danced for 10 years) the tap instructor told us that we should watch some of the Astaire & Rogers movies. When I went home I immediately popped it into the VCR. I've been hooked ever since. I think my favorite part in the whole movie is when Fred is dancing in "It's just like looking for a needle in a haystack." The Part when he jumps over the back of the couch-- I love it!! Since this time i have become a big fan of Bogie, Bacall, Bergman, The Marx Brothers, Jimmy Stewart, and many many more. Good luck to all my fellow young classic movie lovers out there- you're not alone!

Yeah joe. I'm also 26. We're still considered 'young' classics fans(I hope/think...lol). 14 is very young. I was 11 when I sat down to watched my first classic movie: FRANKENSTEIN.

I took it from there and started getting more and more hooked on the classics ever since.

So for me it was the Universal Classic Monsters and the movie PSYCHO that got me hooked.

I recently turned 23. My parents were good about trying to get me into classic movies when I was younger, and while I liked them, I wasn't hooked, and I certainly wasn't watching TCM in my spare time, then. But when I was around 17-18 I saw the film Chaplin (the bio pic with Robert Downey, Jr.) and I became intrigued, so I read up on Chaplin and saw some of his films and that's where it all began for me. Since then I practically eat, sleep and breathe classic films, and TCM is my umbilical cord. :P

I just watched Sunset Blvd. and boy oh boy...i loved that movie! haha

I have gotten some of my friends to like old movies but not become as obsessive as me. haha

my friends love the big musicals like Singin' in the Rain and West Side Story and for some reason they don't like classic movies because most were in black and white...whenever they say that to be i roll my eyes and say your pathetic. haha. it drives me nuts!! Some judge them when they haven't even seen one! err gets me mad!

yeah alot of my friends, who arnt close enoghf to me to come over to my house and watch an old movie, always say I'm hopeless. I dont know how many times ive said to them "Actually I'm not because Im glad I'm into the classics, I'm not trying to stop my addiction to them". Or since I watch the musicals I get the songs stuck in my head and will be mumbeling them all day and the ppl i havent introduced to old movies get pretty sick of it lol. but classic movie musicals are my life and i would part with my friends before i would part with them.

Speaking of friends, I've been able to get a few of my close friends to watch some of the classics, and some they've really enjoyed, like "Casablanca" (natch). But most people around my age think it's odd to watch "old" movies. I tell them that just because they're old doesn't mean they're bad! The word "old" has such a negative connotation. That's why they're "classic" to me and I'm sure most everyone else on here. It's like Peter Bogdanovich says in his promo for "The Essentials," something along the lines of "there's no such thing as an old movie, just great movies that you have yet to discover." And he's so right. I'm discovering "new" classics all the time, and I love it when I do.

I'm 18 and have been in love with TCM since September 2004. We were vacationing and I saw Casablanca on and watched so much TCM after that that when we came home we expanded our cable so we could get the channel! I've always loved classic movies, but thanks to TCM I fell in love with all kinds of classics I never would have seen.

I am so thrilled that there are other young fans. I get a lot of confused looks and remarks about watching TCM...that's from friends and family. I just love classics.

I got hooked thanks to school. Our theater teacher wanted to show us a movie before winter break and she picked "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". I fell in LOVE with that movie. Howard Keel and Jane Powell we just fantastic and the movie made my laugh so much, and all the dance numbers and songs were just wonderful. After that I found out about TCM and started watching. Then I developed a love for a whole bunch of other movies.

I can't help liking the "old" movies. They are just so great, sure movies today are nice too, but there is just something special about those classics that just keeps me watching. What's cool though is that they show classic cartoons too ^_^

Your Awesome TCM!!