Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just turned 20 in December and I've been a fan of classic films for a while. My parents exposed me to classic films when I was younger and I'm grateful for them because of it. Some of the films that I was able to watch when I was younger include "Casablanca", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "The African Queen", "The Quiet Man" (A staple in my house on St. Patrick's Day, even though I'm not Irish), "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "Yankee Doodle Dandy", and "Topper" to name a few.

Since I've gone off to college, I've had the opportunity to watch TCM here as a part of the cable package that the college offers. At home, TCM is not offered at all. :(

Due to TCM, I have had the opportunity to watch more films of some of the great actors such as Bogart, Grant, Wayne, Cagney, Davis, Kate Hepburn and many others. I have also had the opportunity, thanks to TCM, to discover other actors, whose works I am now very appreciative of and am trying to watch more of, such as Fredric March, Ray Milland, Robert Mitchum, Robert Montgomery, Carole Lombard, Willam Powell and Myrna Loy.

I think it's great to have young fans of classic films. It not only connect us to our past, but also to a time when things were young, innocent and naive. It also gives us the opportunity to see the legends at work and what true Hollywood actors are, not some of the people who are in the business today. All that we're getting in Hollywood today is remake after remake and the blood, guts and gore films that will earn a fast buck or a few good screams.

Donna

"When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it."

-Sam Spade - The Maltese Falcon

"Jonathan, tell Aunt Martha what's in the windowseat."

-Mortimer Brewster - Arsenic and Old Lace

"It was the bottom of the barrel, and I was scraping it."

-Jeff Bailey - Out of the Past

"The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job."

-Godfrey Smith/Godfrey "Duke" Parke - My Man Godfrey

"Anything wrong? Stomach again? How do you feel Su-Su?"

"So-So."

-Major Philip Kirby and Susan Applegate - The Major and the Minor

"Nothing's going to happen to you while I'm around."

-Wallace Wooley - I Married a Witch

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this board & just ran into this string. I dunno, is 30 considered a "young fan" :0) I started watching old films in high school. I remember sitting next to the tv doing homework and watching Hitchcock's "Suspicion" - that got me hooked. Not sure where I got the classic film interest from, my parents never watched them. It is good to hear about other young fans out there....keeps the DVDs and TCM running!

I'm 22 and I am convinced that I was born at the wrong time. I watch TCM so much that if every other channel went off the air, I'd hardly even notice. I drive my friends crazy and they always tell me that I should have been born back in the earlier part of the 20th Century. (In fact, just the other day my professor had asked the class if anyone had seen All About Eve. Of course, I was the only one to raise my hand...and mind you, this is a THEATRE MAJORS class!!) :) Just goes to show how limited we classic movie lovers are!!

Some of my fave actors include: Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Judy Garland, June Allyson, Gloria Swanson, William Holden, Gene Kelly, Van Heflin, Robert Walker

I am unfortunately not on the boards as much as I used to be, but I look forward to speaking with all my TCM dahlings on the boards in the near future!

:)

• 3 months later...

Hurrah for Ginger and Fred and classic movie discovery! :) Not having graduated high school yet, I've known quite a few people who think it's strange I should like "old" movies, though fortunately my family watched Humphrey Bogart films and Giant before I was born, so I have some support there. Since I'm addicted to film, I hope someday to be involved in either writing about movies or making them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 17, and first fell in love with Lucy and Classic TV when I was about 10. I didn't watch many classics movies, though, untill TCM had it's marathon for Katharine Hepburns death. I watched it all day, and was awestruck by her talent. Since then I watch at least one TCM movie a day!!! These were real actors-with talent!! That's why theyre classics. I want to be an actor-so who better to learn the craft than Ball, Hepburn, Chaplin, Bette Davis, Judy Garland, Bogart, Cary Grant--and the list goes on! I do get stange looks from other students when I talk of the Classics-but a couple (mostly in the Drama Club) do have an appreciation for them. One of my friends and I do make dates to watch the classics. Next week we're watching "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane". And the other person I can talk to who knows what I'm talking about when I talk about the Classics is my Drama Teacher. But I'm Glad I found this board, at least to talk to the young generation of Movie Lovers.

I'm 23 (relatively young right?) and have been watching classic films ever since I was really young. Of course my appreciation of them didn't come until my late teens, but now I just can't get enough. The stories and the characters and the filmmaking are just so superior to the majority of what we see made today.

• 2 months later...

I know I posted this like 5 minutes ago, and its gone. Anyways I was 8 when I started watching classic films. Course my very first classic was a Lucille Ball movie. I grew up on Ginger Rogers, and Lucy. From then on I got quite attached to Ginger, and Myrna Loy.

~Ashley

I'm a young fan :), and for as long as I can remember, I've watched and listened to all the "old" stuff. I was brought up on John Wayne and Dean Martin and Lucille Ball and Doris Day and all of that, thanks to my mom (The Quiet Man and El Dorado were especially big at my house). I remember being so shocked when I went out when I was very small sometimes because I was always watching things from the 30's-early 60's (walking though a store: "Mommy, all these men forgot their hats..." LOL). There is practically no one that I can talk to that watches classic movies, let alone anyone that is as in love with them as me and keeps their entertainment exclusive to them as I do (I find that next to nobody watches classic movies nearly exclusively). My whole life is classic movies, too. I'd love to bring back all the glamour and sophistication those days had. I want to make movies using the same colorization processes as they used to use, the same cameras and lights, same material for costumes, etc.. You've got really good taste :) . I'm a big fan of westerns, I love swing/big band/jazz, and my list of favorite entertainers includes Dean Martin (my favorite all around), John Wayne, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Robert Mtichum, Rock Hudson, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Abbott & Costello, Marilyn Monroe, Lucy, Jane Russell, and Doris Day :) .

• 2 months later...

I am %100 in love in classic movies and the era itself. And I'm 19 about to be 20 in Jan. I love the 20's 30's and the 40's those are my favorite. I love the style and the class, pretty much everything! I feel like in my past life I lived in either the 20's the 30's or the 40's. I can't explain the attraction I have for it. I love it, but I don't know why, and frankly I don't care.

~Jody

divin,

I felt the same way you do when I was your age. It started with me when I was around 10 and I started noticing that some of the re-released films in theaters, such as "King Kong" (which I saw in '52), were made long before I was born.

I liked the way people talked and acted in the old films. By the time I became a teenager, in the mid-'50s, all the main actresses in the '50s were "old", at least 25 to 35 years old, while I was 14, 15, etc, but I noticed that the ones in the films from the '30s were quite young and even teenagers themselves, such as Marian Marsh in "Svengali". A lot of the male actors in films of the '50s were old too, while a lot of them in films of the '30s were quite young. So, when old films finally began showing on TV, in the early '50, I began watching a lot of them. And then by the early '60s they a few rare ones were being shown in "art" theaters in big cities. I was astonished when I saw "Citizen Kane" in New York in 1964.

~Fred

I think you are an incredibly lucky man Fred. What I would give to be alive before I was even born. But yet I have to say I do enjoy being young at the moment. You can't have everything right. To bad we can't go back in time, eh? Oh the possibilities.....

I was 14 when I found AMC I remember it as if it were yesterday. It was a dreary grey Saturday and there was nothing on television. As I channel surfed, I came across Elia Kazan's "A Street Car Name Desire" in the scene where Marlon Brando screams up the balcony to Kim Hunter "Stella". From there on, I got hooked. Both Marlon Brando and classic movies would become a great source for entertainment in my life.Tell your friends.

We're all happy to have you here. Any 14 year old who likes Estair, isn't your ordinary 14 year old. This guy is bright.

null