Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NEXT MONTH'S STAR

Although one can usually derive TCM's future stars of the month by looking at the advanced schedules on their site, I also subscribe to the Now Playing guide. I received my March issue last week, which has a rather interesting picture of Nelson Eddy & Jeanette MacDonald on its cover. Plus, on the back of every issue, it states who the next SOTM will be (in this case, Deborah Kerr is pictured).

Path,

Hopefully it will be the recently restored version of "King and I". I had the opportunity to see the restoration last year on the big screen. The restoration work is top notch. The prints we have seen over the last thirty years are so faded compared to what the film looked like when originally released that watching the restoration is in many ways seeing the film for the first time the way it was meant to be seen.

Here's hoping

hi all- yes it would be great to interview the author of the "book" mr osbourne is referring to in the now playing guide-Sweethearts the timeless love affair-on screen and off between jeanette macdonald and nelson eddy- this si surely a different take on our darling duo-i am so happy tcm is giving j and n some recognition-

we have a yahoo group affilliated with the www.maceddyclub.com-which is run by sharon rich-it would be great for them to interview sharon for the programs-heres to hopin" thanks-bernadette

I would think Osborne would be delighted to interview Sharon Rich and find the other side to Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy's movie lives, meaning their very own love story. It might introduce many new fans to wonderful old classic movies that this duo made so famous. Sharon Rich is the one Osborne should indeed interview to get the real story of their love.

Thank you, Mr. Osborne. I am so glad someone has come forward to admit there is something to the story about the love affair between Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy and to give Sharon Rich the credit she deserves. And please remember, too, that there are still legions of fans all over the world who can't wait until March!

I've been to a few meetings where Sharon Rich spoke of what she knows (but there is SO much more that she cannot speak of because of agreements she made with her sources). Once you get the "bug" you'll want to devour everything you can about J & N. I think it would be a great idea for Robert Osborne to interview Sharon, not only to promote her book, but to finally get the truth out to a larger number of people. I can't understand why some people choose to have blinders. The truth is so blaringly obvous when you watch any of their movies together...it is most apparent in "Maytime."

Hopefully it will be the recently restored version of "King and I". I had the opportunity to see the restoration last year on the big screen. The restoration work is top notch. The prints we have seen over the last thirty years are so faded compared to what the film looked like when originally released that watching the restoration is in many ways seeing the film for the first time the way it was meant to be seen.

Reports are that Fox have recently found a preview print of THE KING AND I, with all the material cut before release, including the musical numbers from the stage production that never made it to the screen version.

Until that's available on DVD, none of us have seen THE KING AND I as Rodgers and Hammerstein intended it to be seen.

CineSage,

Are you sure it was a preview print for "The King and I" that was found? Fox spent quite alot of money for the restoration of the film in 2004.

As I understand it, elements were found of the original Cinema 55 negative. Original release prints of "The King and I" were made from a 35mm reduction print as were all subsequent prints.

The 2004 restoration of "The King and I" is the first time the film has been shown in its proper aspect ratio. The original stereo soundtrack was faithfully recreated in 4 track Dolby Digital Stereo for the restoration.

For the record, Carousel was the other film shot in Cinema 55.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

CineSage -

Are there musical numbers in the original Broadway production which are not in the movie? I've seen the movie and stage productions and can't remember a difference. What am I forgetting? I do know that when Gertrude Lawence was starring in it on Broadway (with Yul billed below the title), the story was about a teacher and her experiences in Siam. When Yul starred in it on Broadway it was about the King of Siam and his experiences with an English teacher. And when Angela Lansbury played it on Broadway, she went back to the Gertrude Lawrence version. It's called "star power."

Now - where can I see the black and white, original with Rex Harrison and Irene Dunne? Is it available anywhere. And I do hope that someone burn's all copies of that mess with Jodie Foster - that was a disgrace. Small wonder Thailand wouldn't allow filming in their country - they obviously read the script.

Even though I have "The King and I" on DVD, I do look forward to seeing a new, restored version, both for the picture and sound.

Ralph

Ralph, I think that the non-musical version, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM, is available on dvd from 20th Century Fox.

Ralph, were you the person who mentioned the Kenley Players of Ohio on another thread? I can't find that thread.

Sandy K