Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Christian and Jewish Holiday Movies

There's a great movie to be made here. Something way beyond the scope of Tap Roots. I dream of making a documentary called "Ahead of Their Time" about Republicans in the south before about 1948. It better be done soon, or else you'll lose the opportunity to interview folks who were voting R down there during the 30's and 40's.

That's a great idea. It would be interesting to see the evolution from blue to red states in the south. There's never been a definitive documentary that covered how much of the influx of Republicans and conservatives in the south is due to Carpetbaggers and Reconstructionists; northern transplants just following jobs; or a gradual change of politics on an individual level over the years.

Am I correct or not in my thinking here? Didn't the Democrats hold the south for so long because they were against civil rights and other things that now are considered "liberal"? The Republicans were the party of Lincoln. I'm a bit confused because of the way things are now, revisionist indoctrination must be working.

All I can say is... clone Teddy Roosevelt, somehow! Hey, are there any good movies about TR out there?

Am I correct or not in my thinking here? Didn't the Democrats hold the south for so long because they were against civil rights and other things that now are considered "liberal"? The Republicans were the party of Lincoln. I'm a bit confused because of the way things are now, revisionist indoctrination must be working.

That's right. I don't think there's ever been so much misinformation on any subject that rivals this brainwashing of millions. When you have TV pop culture and the media on your side, you can pull anything off.

I just read that Scorcese is making a movie on TR starring DiCaprio. I wish I were joking. It's based on Edmund Morris' Rise of Teddy Roosevelt, which is a great book.

Matt-

Parties are not consistently the same. Jefferson wouldn't recognize or like the modern Democrat party...and Lincoln and TR would harly endorse the current manifestation of the Republican party. Does anyone believe for a minute that the southern suppression of the black vote was first and foremost about race? Every southern Democrat saw a Republican vote in every black face they saw.

The civil rights movement drove the southern democrats out of the party into the alliance with the Republicans. Again the relationship is not based on race or race hatred it is purely about the conservation of POWER. The Democrats in control of the south then were and are the Republicans in control today.

I am not implying that there weren't intolerable conditions in the south for african americans...but underlying the conditions was the deperate maintenance of control by whites.

Blacks were solidly Republican until the 1950s. They will be again...just wait and see.

So here we are...Republicans the party of ever increasing Government, out of control spending and debt, and pandering to the religious right by raising "fake" issues like the threat of sodomite marriage, the mysterious persecution of God and his suffering representatives by the ACLU and the promotion of Intelligent Design.

and there are the Democrats...never missed an opportunity to address every "problem" with a new government program, out of control spending and ever increasing redistribution of wealth via the tax system and pandering to the prodeath lobby, the promoters of sodomite rights and the promotion of the new politically correct facism.

Honestly, I don't see any difference in the two parties. No matter which one you lay down with you're gonna get screwed. And neither one will still repect you in the morning.

I guess the only people who populate the TCM website are Republicans or people who are apolitical-haven't seen a liberal whine or a Libertarian rant the entire time I've been watching it...

I guess the only people who populate the TCM website are Republicans or people who are apolitical-haven't seen a liberal whine or a Libertarian rant the entire time I've been watching it...

I scared them away. If you want, post a new thread with liberal baiting material and see what you get. If you build it, they will come.

Hi,

I wanted to thank you for you kind remarks, but got side tracked with some issues of my health.

If you follow my thread TCM finally admitted that they are still working on the Macintosh problem with video, and I imagine some other things as well.

Don't get yourself in a twist about Political crap, right or left. Just study hollywood and see that they blow where the money is. When the China Syndrome came out I was just getting out of the Air Force, and Jane Fonda was the most hated actor in the world. I met her at an Anti-Vietnam rally at UCLA while I was attending graduate school, and when I saw how she could turn and off the tears, I realized she was a marvelous actress.

If you want my vote for a good Christian and Jewish Holiday movie, I would vote for 'A Stranger Among Us'. It has both Christian and Jewish traditions portrayed, and the conflicts that they encounter when they collide. I can't say though that it is an outstanding attempt to do justice to that topic, but it dose illustrate the differences, and shows the Orthodox view.

Hi.

The frustrating thing about having a Mac is that we're the minority, and increasingly so. That makes us less a priority for software designers. Plus, the way Steve Jobs upgrades them so often people are afraid to buy them, because a few months later the new models have more improvements for the same price that people just bought the prior model for. So if Mac sales are down, software companies are less apt to be making their systems compatibilty a priority. AOL hasn't upgraded for Macs in years and has a lot of bugs.

A LIBERTARIAN RANT

Just heard (on talk radio) an interview with a former member of the Reagan administration called "Imposter: How George W. Bush Betrayed the Reagan Revolution" arguing that Dubya was elected to do only two things-cut taxes and overturn Roe v. Wade. And he really doesn't care about the rest of the conservative agenda-especially controlling the size and cost of government. The fact that he has not once used his veto power is proof. The fact that he insists on keeping congressional Republicans in the dark about important issues rather than working to gain their support is proof. And most tellingly, Reagan lived by the old Truman idea "The Buck Stops Here" taking responsibility for things that don't work as planned. Bush is incapable of taking responsibility for anything and so appears to be out of touch with reality or just plain dishonest. Appears to be hiding things and appears to be deceitful. Above all else has been good at talking a good "conservative" game but has failed to bring any real leadership.

The contrast with Reagan is chiefly that Reagan had principles and Bush doesn't. Reagan got more done with a Democrat controlled Congress than Bush has been able to do with one supposedly controlled by conservatives. If it weren't for 9/11, and his ability to manipulate the propaganda war around it, he would never have been able to increase Republican majorities in 2002 or been reelected in 2004. If he had worked as hard to promote the true conservative agenda as he has to "spin" his pet war in Iraq things might have gotten done.

Just like the Democrats when confronted by a choice between promoting principles and conserving power: power wins.

Being President is more important than what you DO as President.

Being the majority party is more important than really doing anything with that majority.

If you can't do anything at least enrich yourself and your friends while doing nothing.

Follow the money...the pursuit of profit is what really counts...just ask Tom "justice delayed" Delay...

People thought it funny Reagan would doze off in cabinet meetings but Bush has been pretty much AWOL...a well established pattern in his life...

As a libertarian the only part of the conservative agenda that I care about is reigning in government, cutting its size, controlling its cost, reducing the regulatory burden on small business people and reducing my tax burden while not increasing the deficit/debt (ie eliminating programs and waste) and maintaining a credible national DEFENSE not wasting our resouces on a stupid and unnecessary war in Iraq.

I have "wasted" every vote I have cast since 1980 by NOT voting for either Democrats or Republicans...but I at least can sleep at night knowing I have not contributed to the "illusion" that these jack **** have a "mandate" or "political capital" or...we get exactly the government deserve...and we deserve exactly what we get whether its Bill "Head Hunter" Clinton or George "Duh-bya" Bush.

AOL hasn't upgraded for Macs in years and has a lot of bugs.

Does anyone willingly STILL use AOL? Talk about an sado/masochistic relationship!

Is Macintosh that much worse than anyone else when it comes to "planned obsolecense?"

The Mac is a beautiful system and were I a richer man would have one. My first personal system was a Macintosh...back in 1989. Little tiny black and white screen-all in one construction and light years ahead of what I had to use in the work place (IBM)

But you are right Mac is the minority machine and it would be frustrating to not have the access to new software the rest of us take for granted...otherwise thought do you loke your Mac? Have you always been on the Mac side of the canyon or is it new for you?

If George W Bush leaves no other legacy than that of having appointed two(and hopefully one or two more before it's over) strict constitutionalist judges to the SCOTUS, I myself will be perfectly happy with his presidency. Judges have been legislating from the bench for too long-it's the only way certain liberal agendas could've been put into effect,as a majority of Americans disagree with such measures as partial-birth abortions. Sadistically murdering unborn babies trumps almost anything in my book.

Melanie2_ani.gif

The contrast with Reagan is chiefly that Reagan had principles and Bush doesn't. Reagan got more done with a Democrat controlled Congress than Bush has been able to do with one supposedly controlled by conservatives.

We could use a man like Ronald Reagan agaaaaaiiinnn ... no argument. But Bush is like Reagan in that he does have principles and sticks with them. You may not like those principles, but he hasn't kow-towed to issues just because they were unpopular. He'd be much more popular with people if he blew with the wind. History will put Reagan and Bush at the top once the panties become unbunched and people realize that the Mid-East was Bush's Berlin wall. He brought Democarcy to the Mid-East and promoted more minorities to key postitions than any other president. That Reaganite who wrote that Imposter book is just someone's cranky uncle they like to humor now and then. Roe vs. Wade should never have been a SCOTUS decision since it's not a constitutional issue. It should be left up to the states, even Roe sees the light now.

Remember, Reagan got the same treatment from the Democrats, as Bush is now, only they're more unhinged these days and drifting leftward.

And now, back to our holiday presentation ...

Message was edited by:

MattHelm

Have you always been on the Mac side of the canyon or is it new for you?

Always, though I've had pc's in the past in addition to my Macs. I'd use the pc's for writing since Mac programs at the time weren't compatible with Word, which is what most publishers I went through used. I use the Mac for graphic work because that's what those same publisher's art directors use. Since Word for Macs came on the scene, now I can use the Mac for everything.

Mel and Matt-

Definitely agree Roe v Wade should never have been decided by the Supremes. As noted elsewhere judicial activism really depends on your perspective and whether you agree with decisions or not. There must be some middle road between reading into the costitution rights that do not exist (like the right to abortion) and treating the constitution as if it can not be interpreted beyond the letter like Scalia insisting there are NO privacy rights that can be found in it.

As I say I don't care if abortion is outlawed or not. It makes no difference to me. Therefore I would never vote for or against anyone because of their stand for or against abortion.

If you are happy with the President that is all that matters-it doesn't really matter what I think because it will not change anything...and as you can probably surmise I would be just as unhappy if John Kerry were President...

"You are blocking the sunlight, Alexander" Diogenes