Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Christian and Jewish Holiday Movies

I heard the UN was sending observers into Florida and Ohio in 2008? Is it true?

Damn you, you brought this anecdote on yourself!!!

A friend of mine lives in an all black neighborhood and voted in an all black precinct. She says that days before election day, she found a flyer tucked in her mailbox stating that there's no need to worry, lawyers will be on hand at the voting booths to make sure no one's right to vote is infringed. Obviously, Democrat scare tactics drumming up the urban legends from the 2000 election. Anyway, when she goes to vote, a mousy white college girl approaches her with caution and hands her a paper that conveniently lists only the Democrats so there's no confusion over who to vote for. Everyone in line had this list with the kung fu grip on it, so that they wouldn't lose it. Then, while she was in line, one of the voting staff members made the announcement telling everyone to pay attention while making their voting selections on the computer because if they made a mistake, the vote will automatically go to Bush. She says that there was a collective gasp and worried looks on the people's faces after that announcement. It was really a shameful exploitation of these mostly uneducated Jamaican and Hatian Americans and they knew they could get away with it.

Maybe we should have observers down here, but not from the UN.

So, it turns out that a lot of the famous ?****? families from the Deep South actually had ancestors who came from Eastern Europe, Russia, Germany, France, Greece, and even Spain, (in addition to Scotland, Ireland, and England), and some of the Southern country music comes from old European folk music of various countries.

Fred,that's quite true-I just found out a couple of years ago that my paternal great great grandparents were Jewish-they lived in Arkansas before the family moved to Mississippi.I have one picture of them,their names on the back are Israel and Rachel. I don't know much more than that-back then,my ancestors were too poor to worry about keeping family records. My maternal great-grandmother was full blooded Choctaw indian-I remember her at my grandmother's house,sitting in a rocking chair and smoking a corncob pipe,LOL. She was a little wizened brown woman,and we were scared to death of her-I don't know why,she rarely spoke,and my mother says that she was a quiet woman.

Couldn't "Fiddler On The Roof" be considered celebratory of Jewish tradition? I love that movie-it is a vey unique musical,it has a different "feel" than any other I've ever watched.I love the scene where Tevye sings "If I Were a Rich Man" and dances. I want to read the books by Sholom Aleichem upon which the movie was based.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

?Fred,that's quite true-I just found out a couple of years ago that my paternal great great grandparents were Jewish-they lived in Arkansas before the family moved to Mississippi.I have one picture of them,their names on the back are Israel and Rachel. I don't know much more than that-back then,my ancestors were too poor to worry about keeping family records. My maternal great-grandmother was full blooded Choctaw indian-I remember her at my grandmother's house,sitting in a rocking chair and smoking a corncob pipe,LOL.?

Yes, this is a little-known fact of American history. We are all ?mixed?. Jews have not always been ?rich? in America. Very many of them came over in the 18th and 19th and early 20th Centuries being very poor, just like the Scotch, Irish, English, Italians, Polish, etc.

While living in New York they could more easily keep their old European type Jewish culture, but New York didn?t have enough jobs for ALL the European immigrants, so many of the various Immigrants moved to the Midwest, the West and the South. This put them and their children into ?mixed? cultures, and a lot of the various children in the South started marrying each other and losing their old European ethnicity. They became ?Americans.?

Also, there were generally more male immigrants than female in the 18th and 19th Centuries, and thus a shortage of women to marry. In the East, West, and South, many immigrant men married Native American women. In fact, this is what eventually led to the disappearance of many small tribes. We didn?t? kill them all. We married them. My great great grandmother was Cherokee. There might have been others on both sides of the family, but she is the only one I know about.

---------

I think ?Fiddler on the Roof? would be ok for an early December Jewish family movie for the Hanukkah. It?s not offensive to Gentiles. In fact, Gentiles like to go around humming the songs.

I think TCM should plan this with some short 10-second (or longer) spots, promos, of two different kind. One that simply says ?Happy Hanukkah? and the other that says ?Merry Christmas?, with maybe a scene from an old classic movie that could be showing in the background. They could start airing in early December.

Yes indeed,we are all mixed-I know that my family is strictly Heinz 57,LOL-these are just the ones that I'm aware of---Choctaw Indian,Jewish(don't know the nationality,but tend to think probably eastern European),French,Scottish and Irish. The latest generation adds black and Mexican ancestry to the mix(three of my sister's husbands). My husband adds Spanish and German through his sons by his first marriage. My step-father had French(New Orleans Creole) and German ancestry. One sister has an adopted Korean child and an adopted black child,that will add another element to the next generation.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

HGL#,

Regarding your statement "I guess the only people who populate the TCM website are Republicans or people who are apolitical-haven't seen a liberal whine or a Libertarian rant the entire time I've been watching it... "

Here's my point of view. I'm too busy trying to defend my remaining rights to support politicians who say they know what's best for me. I don't think we have Democrats and Republicans anymore. Just as you said they have changed in all but name. To me they seem to have more in common with Communists and Fascists.

The Democrats want to control how I think, The Republicans want to control how I act. What kind of choice is that?

Bill Clinton started the ball rolling when he decided just to ignore everything that didn't get him points in the polls. He oversaw legislation that guaranteed our country would soon be more dependant on foreign oil than ever before. Bush is giving us the coup de gras; I think this man hates America for there is no other reason for some of his actions.

I once could give quite a dandy liberal rant, the kind of rant about civil liberties, freedom of speech, etc. That's not what it's about today. The new liberal thinks he is being witty and scathing by calling someone a bad name or sputtering opinionated baloney. The new liberal is an echo.

Just before the last election my son who lives in Oregon was shouted down at a corner stop light by Kerry supporters because he drove an SUV. They actually spouted rhetoric to him about the proletariat! He worked hard to get through college, had just gotten a job (with the government), married, and had recently traded his 100K + miles college vehicle for the SUV. He wanted his wife to be safe when they were driving in the snow. This is not my Democratic Party.

Whoa...I keep saying...don't get me started.

Susanb

I fully agree with those who feel that the two largest parties in the US today are basically after 2 things: money and power. But who else is there?

Douglas Adams (British satirist) once wrote, "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

Hmm. Makes sense to me.

Oh and to get back to the original topic (ie, Christian and Jewish holiday films) I recommend The Rugrats "Passover" and "Chanukah" episodes. They provide an excellent explanation of these holidays, understandable even to a WASP-y goy like me.