Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FILMS ABOUT ALCOHOLISM...

I WOULD LIKE HELP GATHERING A LIST OF FILMS DEALING WITH ALCOHOLISM...BEYOND THE LOST WEEKEND AND THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Anything ya'll could come up with would be appreciated. I have also searched for books and scholarly studies of the treatment of alcoholism in film and seem to be coming up against brick walls so any books anyone might be aware of would be helpful, too. Thanks!

Good one, feaito. In fact, I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955) is virtually an advertisement for Alcoholics Anonymous (and the serenity prayer). It's the true story of singer Lillian Roth's struggle against alcoholism and will be aired on TCM next Saturday (2/25) at 7:30 AM ET.

There is a wonderful movie called Clean and Sober, starring Michael Keaton. They use it in treatment centers, it's that good.

Something you might find interesting is that Stephen King might be in either AA or NA. That was kind of touched on in his biography on A&E. They said he had had a drug and alcohol problem, did not say how he 'beat it', only that he did beat it. That would be the 'anonymity' part of AA - being ambigious about it. The interesting thing is that he often, almost every book, mentions AA or NA. Some of his characters are in "the program"

Thank you all so far and some of the ones mentioned I do remember or have seen. Thats right Delores Claiborn's husband, Joe, was making a half hearted stab at sobriety...I never read much King so that is interesting.

STONEYBURKE THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Those sites will be a great help and I suppose you just found them 1-2-3? I have such a hard time sorting through search listings I start going gaga and then get side tracked...start out looking for Early Christian Monasticism and an hour and a half later I'm reading a biography of Gypsy Rose Lee...go figure!

Yes, Nick Charles was quite a drinker but did they ever really investigate the subject seriously?

From what I know so far there are three periods of handling the subject-

The pre-AA period where it is depicted as a moral failure and tragic problem. With a strong temperance message. Then there is the period where the "disease model" popularized by AA begins to take hold. Some are optimistic "There is a solution..." like the end of "Lost Weekend" and "The Days of Wine and Roses" and "Come Back Little Sheba" Others are more pessimistic and inspite of everything tried nothing helps. Finally there are the treatment center movies like Postcards from the Edge, 28 Days and Clean and Sober that really explore the cataclysm of hitting bottom and transition back to everday living and negotiating the pitfalls of early sobriety.

Leaving Las Vegas and Ironweed are bith great films about the wreckage and the "incomprehensible demoralization" of alcoholism.

Thanks again everyone if you find anything please pass it on...

I think this a real interesting subject, HGL3. Please let me know how it works out. Noticing some of your expressions - incomprehensible demoralization - and other phraseology, I'm wondering if you attended Wilson-Smith University, as I did. I'll keep trying to think of other movies, and continue to post as I come up with some.

Scarlett

Wow! I was surprised to see this subject!!! I'll break my own anonymity, as a sober member of AA. Almost 16 years. First time I watched "The Doors" was hard. Too much euphoric recall. Same with "Lost Weekend". In "Unforgiven", Clint went back to drinking and his former behavior when he started again after hearing of his friends death. There is a movie called "The Story Of Bill W.", but I don't remember who was in it. Alot of people don't know that Bill W. tried LSD in the sixties because he thought it might be a cure for alcholism.

"Requiem For A Dream", is supposed to be about alcholism as well, but I have not had the time to view it.

"Drunks" is another title you may want to check out as well. (Sorry, no time to watch that one yet either...)

Are you writing a paper???

Just curious! Ciao!

"bar fly" im a big bukowski fan. i heard he got **** when rourke wanted to wear silly glasses. he only got to wear them in one scene.

Did you read Bukowski's book, Hollywood? It's all about making that movie and he goes into the bit about the glasses, and other bizarre behavior. It's a great look at the dysfunction behind the scenes in tinsel town, from a "fish out of water" point of view.

Bukowski is as outside as one can get. I loved "Bar Fly" and think it, along with "Ironweed" are two of the best films about the dynamics of alcoholism.

Huntress, I think the film about Bill Wilson is "My Name is Bill W." with James Woods as Bill Wilson, James Garner as Bob Smith, Jo Beth Williams and Gary Sinise as Eby Thatcher. It was made for Hallmark Hall of Fame and so was a TV movie and got a few Emmy nominations and Woods won one.

I don't go to school any more but I do like to write for myself. I like to research historical subjects and my BA was in Theatre Arts...so film and theatre are natural areas of interest. I am not much of a writer, and to be honest, there isn't much that hasn't been covered better by smarter and more talented people than me.

I want to get a list together and then watch them and perhaps try to outline the progression of how the theme is treated.

Also please understand that Bill Wilson was given LSD in the 50's and under the supervision of a medical doctor and as part of a controlled study which was trying to determine if LSD had potential therapeutic effects for a variety of disorders. He did not just drop acid on his own.

Yes HG, I did know the conditions around Bill W.'s LSD study. I apologize for my statement coming out the way it did.

So you are/were in theatre? Cool...I'm a classical musician, and remember being in the pit for various musicals in HS and College. We did "West Side Story" one year, and it was so hard! Our orchestra won an award for our performance of it. It took me 20 years before I could watch the movie version! LOL

I'm always interested in the composers of various soundtracks. I had Jerry Goldsmith for a guest conductor one year with the Flagstaff Symphony. I remember him have these big glasses and wild white hair!!

Huntress,

Re: My Name is Bill W:

I believe it was a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie back in the late 1980s starring James Garner and James Woods.

James Woods won the Emmy that year for Best Actor besting heavy favorite to win, Robert Duvall from Lonesome Dove.

Legend has it that the reason Woods won was because of the members of the TV Academy that are members of AA voted for him instead of Duvall.