Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

who is your fav horror film actor?

elgrabadura

• 1 month later...

Christopher Lee is Dracula for me and Boris Karloff is Frankenstein, out of modern stars well I think Mike Ironside would have been great in more horror because there is definately something intimidating about him, especially in SCANNERS, I also think Christina Ricci can turn up the gothic when required even though she can also play the cutie-pie.

where to begin, there are some real classics.

for universal it has to be lon chaney snr if only for phantom of the opera and the sorely missed london after midnight.(did you know universal still has the original set piece for phantom). chaney just had something the others lacked.

for hammer it has to be jointly chris lee and peter cushing.they made the dracula and frankenstein/van helsing characters their own, and no-one has ever come close to taking it from them. certainly the greatest horror duo.

as for more recent times i find it hard to think of a real horror icon.there have been some great perfomances, but still none to rival the older classics.

> mine is and always will be vincent price and bella

> lugosi, they seem to bring that little somthing else

> to they movies they are in

I have to agree totally. Bela brought an air of diginity to everything he did. He could be in a low budget crappy movie and make it worth watching because he brought professionalism to the scenes he was in.

The same is true of Vincent Price. He has a very powerful screen presence that usually makes any movie he is in worthwhile.

i always thought lugosi's acting was more wooden than the steaks used to kill him.ok he was very much type cast, but only because he could ever really play one character. karloff was much more versatile as an actor.

vincent price i could never quite understand.i always thought he was playing for laughs.

i agree with baron.

lee and cushing were the masters of the macarbre.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a lifelong Karloff fan, but I had to respond to the charge that Bela Lugosi could only play one character. One only has to look at his work in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE BLACK CAT ('34 version), and THE INVISIBLE RAY to see that Bela was a gifted character actor. He may not have been as versatile as Karloff or Cushing, but he certainly was capable of essaying a variety of roles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lugosi, Price and Karloff are my three favorites.

By the way, to the person who said that Bela could only play one type of character....First I recommend watching the comedies "International House" and "Broadminded", then watch "The Mystery of the Mary Celeste". I think Bela cried in the scene where he realizes that he killed someone.

Only one type of character?? Hmm....I wouldn't ever say that.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say, as did many, Mr. Willam Pratt, aka Boris Karloff ! But I also love the fine films of Lon Chaney Sr., & both of these gifted actors could play drama & melodrama as well.

Also Bela & Vince.

Vincent Price!!!!!!!!!!! He was so many things wrapped into one....A brilliant Actor, .A very Handsome, intelligent, caring, funny, lovable guy..He was so much more than most people know..And that VOICE..He was definatley always my favorite!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes

Bela

Boris and

Vincent are the icons..

but, you know who was always a little scary....

PETER LORRE.....

Mr Moto

Maltese Falcon

Beast with 5 Fingers

The Raven with Vincent price and Boris Karlof

-even scary in a comedy setting

I agree with a lot of the other posters - my favorites would have to be Lugosi, Karloff, Price and Chaney Jr. I agree with one of the other posters who said that Lugosi wasn't the best actor, but he's just fun to watch!!!

Lon Chaney is my absolute favorite!

Peter Lorre is second because he's just so creepy. M gives me shivers and i adore Mad Love.

I also really enjoy Karloff's Mummy.

I'd like the see the spanish Dracula because i read somewhere that it used more advanced film techniques even though it was filmed at the same time on the same set(although at night) as Lugosi's Dracula.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bela Lugosi will always be #1 when I think of Count Dracula, it was his acting and his incredible accent!

Vincent Price I have loved since I was a child and watched his movies. He has a very distinct voice, and was a wonderful narrator.

Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are my favorites also when it comes to their portrayal of Count Dracula and Van Helsing.

Also I loved Gloria Holden in the "Daughter of Dracula", 1936.

And lets not forget Lon Chaney Jr. and Sr., Laugh Clown Laugh was not really horror, but it was disturbing.

• 2 months later...

Archived