Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BestEra

Your opinion of Andy Hardy movies

A couple of months ago, I thought I heard Robert Osborne say that there are 14 Andy Hardy movies. But I've been researching them and it looks like to me there are more than 14. Does anybody know a lot about these movies? How many are there?

Also, I've seen 4 or 5 of them, and although I adore Mickey Rooney, I would rate the movies overall as only "pretty good." Maybe some of them are better. Are there any you would rate "very good?"

I love all the Andy Hardy movies except the very last one,when Andy is married and returns home to visit with his wife and child. The atmosphere of that one was totally different from all the previous ones. It couldn't be helped,because of when it was made and Andy being grown,and Lewis Stone not being there,and so many reasons,but I still don't like it. All the rest, I love. I don't think that I can choose a favorite-maybe the one when they go on vacation to Catalina,or the one when Andy graduates(Kathryn Grayson played a role in it). But I love them all, every time I watch,I wish that I was there and hanging out with Andy and Polly and the gang.I loved Lewis Stone as the father.I loved the mother also(I can't think of the actress's name this minute),but it seemed as the series progressed,they started making her ditzier.She didn't start out that ditzy. I didn't like that. I really liked Aunt Millie also,and I thought that she was quite attractive besides being intelligent and full of common sense-why she was a spinster,I can't figure out. She didn't want be to be unmarried,as far as I can tell,judging from the episode when the Hardys go to NYC to see if they're going to inherit a lot of money,and she meets a man and dates him.

I know that thwy're not quite realistic,but when I watch,I wish that there was a town like Carvel and people like those in the series,and that I'd lived there. I WANT to believe that there was place and time like that.

Melanie2_ani.gif

I never tire of these movies. They seem to inhabit a perfect world. They're a good guide to parenting, morals and everthing else that's lacking today.

BestEra,

The Andy Hardy series of films from MGM is said to be the most successful and most popular series of films ever made in the US.

There is no doubt that the appeal is in the innocence of these "B" type films, which help to make Mickey Rooney a number one box office star.

There are a total of sixteen films in the series, beginning with A Family Affair in 1937, and ending with Andy Hardy Comes Home in 1958. Technically, these two films weren't really a part of the series.

The series actually began with the installment You're Only Young Once (1938) and ended with Love Laughs at Andy Hardy (1946). The first film, A Family Affair wasn't intended to be the beginning of a series, but it proved so popular that it, in fact, launched the series. The last film, Andy Hardy Comes Home was a sort of reunion, made a dozen years after the series final installment.

I believe that TCM had a few Andy Hardy marathons in the past.

A movie from the A list that has similar family values and is quite enjoyable to watch is "A Date With Judy"---not engrossing but highly entertaining.

Mongo, thanks for the info. That explains the discrepancies I was finding. I'm having a hard time visualizing the 1958 movie, Andy Hardy Comes Home. (All I can picture is The Brady Bunch movie of a few years ago where they were all grown up.) So, I can understand why Melanie doesn't care much for Andy H. Comes Home. You know, that's amazing that a series of movies could span 21 years. I wonder if the studio was going out on a limb with its production. Can anybody think of a series of movies that spanned a longer time?

It also kind of irritated me that after the first Andy Hardy movie("A Family Affair",with Lionel Barrymore playing the father and Spring Byington playing the mother-they were good,but I MUCH prefer Lewis Stone as the father-he was perfect),the oldest daughter just dropped off the map. I could understand if they couldn't get the actress who played her to come back,and just decided to do away with the role,but the fact remained that she HAD existed as a character in the family,and they could've at least made a reference to her now and then(something like,"I heard from Joan today,she and the family are doing fine,and her husband is really progressing in his new job at the North Pole"). That was a bit irritating. But I was really happy with the choice of Lewis Stone as father,and the new actress(what IS her name???) for the mother(other than them making her character ditzier as the series progressed).

I could understand if they couldn't get the actress who played her to come back,and just decided to do away with the role,but the fact remained that she HAD existed as a character in the family,and they could've at least made a reference to her now and then(something like,"I heard from Joan today,she and the family are doing fine,and her husband is really progressing in his new job at the North Pole").

She was probably sent to the same place that Chuck from Happy Days and Tiger from The Brady Bunch disappeared to.

LOL! I had forgotten all about poor ole Chuck-wasn't he the older brother who was always playing basketball? And Tiger-I remember him being featured when Jan developed an allergy,and at first they thought it was Tiger,but it turned out to be his flea powder.Poor Tiger,having to put up with all those kids! (My family had them beat-we had 6 girls and 4 boys,for a total of 10-and that's not counting all the step- and half-siblings who weren't raised with us!)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What's funny is that two actors played Chuck during his brief life expectancy on the show. They were recently on a Happy Days reunion on TV. Wow, your family even out does Eight is Enough. How many kids did the Waltons have, they may have you beat.

I enjoy them, though, like the concurrent series of BABES musicals Mickey Rooney made with Judy Garland, they can get kinda preachy at times. I realize this is a consequence of the era in which they were made, but it can make for slightly squirm-inducing viewing on occasion. That one where the Judge tells Andy: "What I'm wondering is whether you're fit to be any decent American's son!" seems a little harsh to me.

Also, even though I think he was a wonderfully talented performer, Mickey Rooney's performance as Andy is sometimes quite hammy and overdone, and like some of his other early work, hasn't aged well. I really never could figure out why all those pretty young actresses fell for Andy on first sight. Carvel must've been short on boys who weren't vertically challenged. lol!

I think the actress who played Mrs. Hardy was Fay Holden.

You must need to rent a hall for family get togethers.

We do,and we have! party0028.gif Most recently for my niece's quincea?era(kind of a "sweet sixteen" celebration,but it's when the girl turns 15-in Mexican culture,she's considered to have become a young lady at that age).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us