Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

if you could get TCM to show 1 Movie, What would it be??

Comedy - I would pick a very rare Bob Hope movie called "Nothing But the Truth" from 1942. The movie was in my opinion the best of Hope's non "Road" movies. It co starred Paullete Goddard. Very funny....

Drama - Hands down I would pick "The Man I Married" from 1940 starring Joan Bennett.

Mystery/musical - "Sweater Girl" from 1942 ... cast for 'Sweater Girl'. Eddie Bracken - Jack Mitchell- June Preisser- Betty Jane Rhodes - Susan Lawrence. With the cast it had this movie would of done better as a musical comedy but I enjoyed it just the same.

I would love TCM to play any of these so I can replace my poor quality Ebay baought VHS tapes.

THE movie, if I only had one choice, would be 1980's "Resurrection", with Ellen Burstyn (nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for that year; while I love Sissy Spacek, I still think Ellen was robbed) and Sam Shepard. When people ask me what my 'favorite' movie is (I'm a lifelong movie buff), I usually tell them the movie that's meant the most to me, and this one is it. If you've never seen it, unfortunately it's ridiculously difficult to find, and hasn't been released to DVD yet.

If THAT movie isn't possible, I'd love to see them play "Yentl" (again, not released on DVD).

(I admit that part of my desire to see these - or ANY of the great films people have mentioned, or those that ARE aired - is that I copy them on to DVD [for my own gratification, of course]. That's enough to keep me sated til an actual DVD release.)

I would also LOVE for them to play the following films:

"Miracle In Rome" (1987 - I think) - a foreign-language film about a man whose daughter dies at a very young age and how he handles it; a real five-hankie film!

"The Trouble With Angels" (with Rosalind Russell & Hayley Mills) - If I'm not mistaken, every channel seems to play the inferior sequel, "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows"; it would be nice to see the first one again.

There's also a film I would to see shown here, released on DVD, whatever: 1976's "The Blue Bird", a US-Russian co-production starring Elizabeth Taylor, Jane Fonda, Ava Gardner, James Coco, Cicely Tyson, among others. A musical-fantasy, it was a huge, HUGE financial loser, and is almost totally forgotten these days. I've read that legal complications now keep the film from being shown but don't know if that's true or not. Would so love TCM to show this film!

John, Panama City, FL

[

stryder989,

I won't argue that "Plan 9 From Outer Space" deserves one viewing. I watched it on TV several years ago.

My opinion? After the movie ended, I wanted the 80 minutes back.

"Plan 9 From Outer Space"--not enough 'kitsch' for 'cult' status.

Note: I am (usually) a fan of 'cult movies'.

Rusty

Really in the mood for some John Wanye Westerns.

The searchers I think would get me my fix. Or she wore a yellow Ribbon.

Also, a long, long, time ago I saw a TV Special I would love to see again Is ?The Violent World of Sam Huff?

If any knows how I could possibly get a copy that would be great

Thanks

Tony

"Really in the mood for some John Wanye Westerns."

You won't have to wait long - next Thursday night, TCM will air The Spoilers (1942) followed by Dark Command (1940), though these are lesser known than the ones you mentioned. Plus, Rio Grande (1950) will be on twice this month. After that, however, there aren't any Wayne Westerns on the schedule through the end of May (though he will appear in some other titles on the schedule, like The Quiet Man (1952)).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think tcm has this movie, but I would like them to show an affair to remember. I saw it once on amc, but I guess I didn't see all of it because of the way they cut the movies to get them to fill the time slots. I know this to be true because I once saw a commercial for the movie and it has a scene I definitely do not remember. I really wish tcm would show this though.

There's this 1951 Jane Wyman movie called The Blue Veil that I saw on Late Show in 70s. It was nominated for several Academy Awards, and was unusually well-acted story of nanny over the years. It's apparently mired in ownership litigation, so has not been publicly seen in decades.

Any of the movies I have listed on my "Not Yet On DVD Wishlist."

My list is as follows:

01. Crime School (1938) Humphry Bogart/The Dead End Kids

02. The World, The Flesh And The Devil (1959) Harry Belafonte/Inger Stevens

03. Crack In The World (1965) Dana Andrews

04. Scarface (1932) Paul Muni

05. The Story Of Louis Pasteur (1935) Paul Muni

06. Dr. Cyclops (1940) Albert Dekker

07. Conflict (1945) Humphry Bogart/Sidney Greenstreet

08. The Sergeant (1968) Rod Steiger

09. Whistle Down The Wind (1961) Hayley Mills/Alan Bates

10. The Amazing Colossal Man (1957) Glenn Langan

The Story of Louis Pasteur & Crime School has been on TMC a couple of times in the past few months. I just wish they get around to showing some of the others.

Bill

The movie "Let No Man Write My Epitaph" (1960).

Burl Ives .... Judge Bruce M. Sullivan

Shelley Winters .... Nellie Romano

James Darren .... Nick Romano

Jean Seberg .... Barbara Holloway

Ricardo Montalban .... Louie Ramponi

Ella Fitzgerald .... Flora

Rodolfo Acosta .... Max

Philip Ober .... Grant Holloway

Jeanne Cooper .... Fran

Unfortunately, this film in not available on DVD or VHS.

I would love to see two Dustin Hoffman films from the '70's on TCM. Both are great films and neither one is available on DVD. The two are - from '71 Who Is Harry Kellerman And Why IS He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? the second is Straight Time. Whi is was written by Herb Gardner of A 1000 Clowns fame Barbara Harris who is also in the film was nominated for supporting Oscar for her performance. Hoffman plays a pop songwriter who is losing his mind. The second film is a gritty crime drama from '78. For years Hoffman has listed this movie as one of his favorites. It also features Gary Busey.

I agree with you, John. I would love to see "Resurrection" again; it's one of my all-time favorites and largely forgotten. I wish everyone would see it. Ellen Burstyn is, as always, just perfect. And Eva La Gallienne, one of the great ladies of the American theater, her last movie. A great script which will set you thinking. And that ending. Wow!

See, I like it.

Ralph

My list is as follows:

04. Scarface (1932) Paul Muni

I know they've shown Scarface before, because I have a VHS tape of it. Still, I'd like for them to run it again so I can record it to DVD. Even better, I'd like to see a commercial DVD release.

If I could see one movie before I die it would be It happened on 5th ave (1947). It stars Victor Moore as a hobo, who makes his home in this vacant NY mansion. Nomineed for best original story. I hope I get my wish. Thank you

Actually, there is a DVD release of the original Scarface, but you have to buy the special boxed set of the newer Scarface to get it. Thanks, but no thanks. I wouldn't waste a cent on the newer version boxed set, even if one fan on Amazon called it "one of the most influential films of the 20th century." I think I must have missed that alternate universe century. In mine, Scarface (the younger) was a dog of a movie.

I was aware of the DVD included with the Scarface (1981) box, but I don't like the main attraction well enough to shell out that kind of money for it. My feelings are somewhere in between "most influential" and "dog of a movie."

A Scarface (1931) at $20-30, or even a Criterion at $40 would be money well spent though.