Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Victor

if you could get TCM to show 1 Movie, What would it be??

I agree with gmabfd - my choice would be Lost Horizon, it's just been ages since I've seen it and I think it's a great movie. For a more modern movie, I really really want to see Panic in Needle Park, Al Pacino's first movie. I can't find it any place and have never seen it.

They showed it fairly often, off and on for about 5 years in the late 90s/early 00s. I probably still have a VHS dub of it somewhere. No doubt the license has expired, as I haven't seen it on the sked in at least 3 or 4 years. >>

Bollywood,

They may have pulled the original during the restoration and release of the Pacino version.

The last thing you want with a film that you are spending $$$$ to restore is for everyone to be clamoring for the original when the smoke clears.

> They showed it fairly often, off and on for about 5

> years in the late 90s/early 00s. I probably still

> have a VHS dub of it somewhere. No doubt the license

> has expired, as I haven't seen it on the sked in at

> least 3 or 4 years. >>

>

> Bollywood,

>

> They may have pulled the original during the

> restoration and release of the Pacino version.

> The last thing you want with a film that you are

> spending $$$$ to restore is for everyone to be

> clamoring for the original when the smoke clears.

I was responding to the Suzie Wong reference, not to Scarface. (For the record, while I'm not crazy about either of them, I prefer the Pacino version.)

[Memo to self: Use the "Quote Original" button more often!]

I would also love to see Ressurection again. This is a great film with a tremendous performance by Ellen Burstyn. I would also like to see The Night Digger with Patricia Neal. It has one of Bernard Herrmann's more unique scores using only strings and harmonica.

I would love to see two of Spencer Tracy's classics- 'Man's Castle' with Loretta Young and 'The Power and the Glory' with Colleen Moore, both from 1933. I am guessing the Fox has these so its possible they may never be on TCM. Does anyone know?

I would love to see Letty Lynton with Joan Crawford. Perhaps someday TCM will get the rights to broadcast it. In response to a couple of the movies mentioned in this thread, World of Suzie Wong is available on dvd (I rented it from Blockbuster) and Panic in Needle Park has been shown on the Fox Movie Channel.

I realize World of Suzie Wong is finally on DVD, that is how I was able to watch it, I just wondered why TCM doesn't show it. Movies like Benji and Bad News Bears are on DVD but they get lots of airtime on TCM.

It's a Paramount film from 1961. Paramount has sold off pieces of its library over the years. But I think this one still belongs to Paramount. Could be wrong.

Anyways, maybe it's one of the films included in the group that TCM signed the lease deal for or it could be languishing, like so many films, in the vaults at Paramount.

> I realize World of Suzie Wong is finally on

> DVD, that is how I was able to watch it, I just

> wondered why TCM doesn't show it. Movies like

> Benji and Bad News Bears are on DVD but

> they get lots of airtime on TCM.

They used to show it rather often, but it hasn't been on the sked in 3 or 4 years. Simplest explanation is that the license to show it, from Paramount, has probably expired. Most complicated would be that a malevolent Benji ate the print.

A Summer Place....Can't find it anywhere ....not on DVD on any site.....Why?

It's a Paramount film from 1961. Paramount has sold off pieces of its library over the years. But I think this one still belongs to Paramount. Could be wrong.

In the mid-1950s, Paramount sold all its pre-1949 sound films to MCA, which eventually became the parent corporation of Universal Studios (with a few exceptions, such as THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK, which Parmaount retained because MCA apparently had doubts that the film's subject matter was suitable for TV showings). Since then, they have never sold away rights to any of their films.

There are other channels. "The World of Suzie Wong" was on CineMax last night.

The File on Thelma Jordan with Barbara Stanwyck and Wendell Corey. Hasn't been on cable or TV in years and not yet released on DVD. Great film noir, right behind Double Indemnity.

I actually wrote the " contact us " on TCM, for info on a movie I really like. And that I'd like to see aired on TCM... But the name of it, I do not know...

If anyone finds it familiar and knows the title of it, I'd love to hear from you ! Its driving me crazy trying to remember the name of it...

Here is what its about... I saw an old movie years ago, not on TCM though...

The plot for it, was this...

A woman obsessed with getting back her youth, gets a hold of this magical potion from some voodoo jungle people, and you drink it to bring you back youthfulness, but the kicker of it, is this...

The woman has to kill a man, by sticking something in the back of the man's neck, and whatever fluid comes out of the man's neck, completes this youth potion to make it work... At one point the potion starts wearing off, and she runs to another room, and she starts turning extremely old, and wrinkly like an old woman... Then some man comes into the darkened room she's in, she comes behind him, sticks something into his neck, she takes the fluid from his neck and pours it into the potion bottle the man dies, she drinks the potion and her wrinkles disappear and she's a young woman once again ,,, In order to stay young, everytime the potion wears off, she has to stab yet another man in the back of the neck... killing him and extracting some strange fluid from his neck to add to her special youth potion... and so it goes on like this...

That's the basic story line..

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS MOVIE ? IT WAS SO GOOD !

I'VE NEVER SEEN IT SINCE, AND WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE IT ON TCM... Can you help me out with this ?

It has to be a classic, it was quite an old movie....

Let me know this movie title as soon as you figure it out and if you can air it on TCM as well...

THANK YOU !

Tammy in Saskatoon

Sounds like "The Leech Woman" from 1960. I have a VHS tape of it, but it's the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version.

Terrence Malick's Badlands, with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek.

the one Malick film I haven't seen, and if its anything like the others...

its hard to find anywhere else so I wouldn't mind if TCM showed it.

Redhook, the movie "Caged" with Eleanor Parker is usually played on TCM, since it is a Warner Bros. film.

By the way is does your screen name refer to Red Hook in Brooklyn?

sweetbabykmd -

I had to buy CineMax or I could not get TCM. As a matter of fact, I had to buy CineMax, HBO, Star Movies, Hallmark Movie Channel and MGM before I could get TCM. We have one cable company here (out of Thailand; in Laos there is none) and it's not about what we want - it's about what they offer (sell).

Ralph

At the moment, there is one movie that I've been waiting for and wanting to see again for many years - and that would be my choice if I only had one. The movie is Three Strangers with Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre and Geraldine Fitzgerald. It is about 3 strangers (what was your first clue? lol) who buy a sweepstake ticket - and what transpires. I won't say anymore about it - but it's an Essential, IMO.

I am looking for the name of an old black and white movie...about two people who become lovers but only meet up once a year until after many years one doesn't show up. I know I am grasping at straws..any help will be great.