Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Oscar moment

captainot

The Academy Awards have had their fair share of memorable moments: surprise wins, Rob Lowe singing with Snow White, honoring Hollywood legends, and a naked guy streaking across the stage.

Here's your chance to tell everyone what was your favorite Oscar moment, Oscar moments, even your favorite Oscar memories!

I have never paid much attention to the Academy Awards, as I think it is extremely overrated, with alot of grandstanding and ego-boosting. However, my favorite moment was a few years back, when many of the past winners gathered together on stage for what was perhaps the best photo op in recent history. It was nice to see so many past favorites being recognized, like Luise Rainer, Shirley Temple, Patricia Neal, and Ernest Borgnine, among others. Hopefully they do something similar this year, for Oscar's 75th presentation.

One of my favorite Oscar moments was when Geraldine Page won the award for Best Actress of 1985. After many nominations it was a joy to see her finally win for her brilliant portrayal of Carrie Watts in "The Trip to Bountiful".

I recall she was delayed in getting to the stage since she had her shoes off and once there she stumpled up the steps as F. Murray Abraham grabbed her hand.

She was indeed overjoyed as she generated her appreciation and it was a fitting tribute to a fine actress who only a few years later would die of a heart attack.

Mongo

I remember sometime in the early 1970s that William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck were co-presenters for one of the awards, and they prefaced it by telling how Stanwyck had helped Holden through his first starring role in GOLDEN BOY. Holden related that he was a very scared, nervous kid, wondering how he would do in his first important picture, and that Stanwyck was very generous and helpful throughout that time. They remained close friends ever since.

Stanwyck responded that she knew she was working with a real talent, and also mentioned them working again in EXECUTIVE SUITE fifteen years later, telling him she knew how far he would go. There was obviously a lot of genuine affection between them -- they looked at each other frequently, and held hands during the last words of their mutual tribute.

Fast forward to 1982, when Stanwyck accepted Holden's special Oscar after his death the previous year. (Before his death, both of them knew he would be getting the award.) Her acceptance speech was very emotional -- she was really fighting to keep herself together -- and by the end, when she called Holden "my golden boy," I started crying the same time she did, remembering what I had seen about a decade before.

The 1979 Academy Awards was just chock full of memorable moments.

However, the most memorable moment came at the end of the night. In a video clip from the year before, Bob Hope had issued get well wishes to John Wayne, saying he hoped that Wayne would make it back next year to amble down there in person.

Johnny Carson then introduced John Wayne. The ovation was one of the longer ones in Oscar history, and it was such a sight to see a much more frail John Wayne taking the stage, so ravaged by the cancer that had been plaguing him.

He presented the Best Picture award to "The Deer Hunter", the irony being America's best known hawk gives the Oscar to an anti-Vietnam movie!

At the end of the telecast, a group of actors joined the Duke on stage in a final tribute. And just a short two months later, John Wayne would lose to cancer.

coffeedan I don't believe that William Holden received a special Oscar. It was Miss Stanwyck who received the special Award and she said something like "you always hoped that I would get one of these someday and here it is my golden boy". Just thinking that moment in Oscar history brings tears to my eyes since both of them are gone now.

Mongo

Another great moment was in 1989 when Lucille Ball and Bob Hope appeared together onstage. I don't remember what award they were giving out, if any, but it was a great moment since it was Lucy's last public appearance before she died. And in spite of that she still looked good when she made her appearance - who would of thought that this great lady would pass away not too long afterward.

Great topic/poll. & Ironically for those on-here that may want to go-further on this particular topic? USA-Today

I actually got the exact day It had the new version-smaller of course of the yrs. poster for THE 75th ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS! It was Inside the paper on this past monday-(NOTE: You can either send for-it & or just log-onto www/usatoday.com & go to the life section for details

& as I've mentioned, this exact poll Is also on there as well!?) My Top 2 fav. OSCAR moments, given that I'm just goin' on 39. But of course have seen the tremendous moment on tape,clips,etc

lst-*CHARLES (Spencer) CHAPLIN-(l889-l977) Receiving his long over-due Lifetime Achievement Honorary OSCAR. After I believe about: 20yrs. in exile!?)

2nd-This one I remember, because It was about same time I fell in love with cinema. l978 ACADEMY AWARDS & Ironically given his l968 mess: "Green Berets," on the same topic *JOHN "THE DUKE" WAYNE-(l907-79) Presenting the BEST FILM OSCAR to *"THE DEER HUNTER!" & as most are aware, "THE DUKE," died within a couple months after.

(Honorable Mention):

Given what happened on 9/11, In his beloved NYC. It even shook-up: *"THE WOODMAN"-WOODY ALLEN-(l935-) Whom for the first time ever, appeared on just last years OSCAR

ceremonies.

(Worst Moment Ever):

Actually to date It should be listed as? Rob Lowe, back late l980's singing & dancing with, I think was a "Snow White," type of number? ABSOLUTELY-STUNNINGLY AWFUL! Almost to the point, It's hysterical.