Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2nd Passing -Darrin McGavin dies at 83

It's being reported prolific actor Darrin McGavin, known to one generation (50s) as Mike Hammer " to another generation (70s) as Kolchak, the Night Stalker,and another generation (80s) as the bumbling, but understanding father in the holiday classic "A Christmas Story".

Memorable films role also include "Summertime" and "The Man with the Golden Arm" and "The Delicate Delinquent" 'along with countless character roles. He won an Emmy for his performance as Candice Bergen's dad on "Murphy Brown".

On Broadway, among many roles, he performed as Hap in "All My Sons" during the 1950s.

He will be missed.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Sorry, to learn of another death. Darrin McGavin has been around tinseltown since the 1940s and paid his dues. He was indeed a good actor. I especially liked him in "The Natural" with Robert Redford.

Since TCM has the rights to "A Christmas Story", I hope they play it in his honor since it most likely will be the film he is remembered for. It is a gem, no matter what time of the year it's on.

Rest in peace, Mr. McGavin.

Awwww. Too sad. Losing both Don and, and now Darren, on the same day. Always one of my favorite guys. I hope he and Kathy remained married. They seemed to go hand-in-hand. I can't think of her last name. Well, goodbye to two of tv's best loved. Christmas Story...that is a classic!! Cracks me up.

Oh, I just looked up he and Kathie -- She had passed away in 2003. I do remember, now. http://www.darrenmcgavin.net

He was great and very underrated. As much as the children were the heart of A Christmas Story, he stole the show with just the looks he gave the family in trying to make sense of them. His best role was in The Man with the Golden Arm ... I forget how much he said he spent on the candy, but that anecdote of him eating candy until he was sick of it, was great. At least we can see him in The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell tonight and not have to wait for a tribute.

Another great actor gone, what a pity. As some folks know, I work at a tv station. Well, I happened to be working saturday and on our early news we had a well-deserved obit for Don Knotts. Later on I asked the producer if he was going to do one for Darren McGavin, on the late show, and his response was "who's that?" I named a number of his movies and of course I mentioned "Kolchak: The Night Stalker and still nothing. Finally, I said well you must remember him as the father in "A Christmas Story". Nope, he hadn't seen it. I know he's young and just out of college, and claims to be a movie buff, but geez the lad must have grown up in a bottle.

Always liked him, especially in The Man With The Golden Arm and as Kolchak in The Night Stalker and who couldn't like a guy with a son named Bogart. Loved his "cursing" and boiler repairs in A Christmas Story (butterfingerr) RIP Mr. McGavin....

vallo

As I was watching his performance in last night's showing of "The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell" I was thinking about Mr. McGavin and his recent health, and hoping for the best, not knowing he had already passed.

How can we ask TCM to create a short tribute to Darren McGavin, as they have so nicely done for other actors who have passed?

Kip Lindberg

My earliest recollection of Darren McGavin was as the star of the TV series "Riverboat." I was also a fan of "Night Stalker." But I will forever remember him as the "old man" from "A Christmas Story." Just watching him as Ralphie opened the mystery gift that Santa must have left over in the corner makes me understand the connection between a son and his father that a mother will never have.

All I can say is, "NOT-A-FINGUH!!!"

Charlie

A Christmas Story is my favorite of favorites of Christmas Movies. The part where his lamp breaks and he is trying to put the ugly thing together is classic.

Also like him in Night Stalker, the best one is the vampire story. I believe it was

the first one. That show used to scare me but I still watched every show. He was

a familiar friend in every role he play. He will be missed. His kind do not come around often.

My first recollections of Daren McGavin was when his oldest son York, stole a number bicycles in our neighborhood. I lived on So. Anita Ave., and they were living on Sunset Blvd. between Anita, and Medio Ave. Mairlin Monroe lived on 1 Helena Dr. Two blocks from where I lived and she was a wonderful person. Nothing like you see on the news. I don't know what was going on in her life, but I used to talk to her many times as I delivered the Evening Outlook, a now defunct Paper of Santa Monica. She gave me a signed picture, and I have 3 letters she wrote to me while I was in the USAF. The Picture and letters will never be seen by anyone, except my brother. The last conversation I had with her was when she had just finished filming the Misfits. I asked her how it was working with Clark Gable, and she said that she thought that he was having health problems. There was more, but I was in the USAF and the letters stopped. She had a rose garden that bordered the street so she could watch us kids playing in the street. Now that I am older I understand her, and everything that has been said about her is Urban legend.

Who is this Nav1 guy. Did all of the Great actors live in his neighborhood? I guess the next thing he will tell us is that his next door neighbor was the sound engineer on GWTW! Give me a break!

• 4 weeks later...

I remember discovering Darren starring in NBC's "The Outsider" and I was hooked from that point onward. I was able to find his earlier work from the 50's "Mike Hammer" series and ofcourse as Karl Kolchack from "The Night Stalker" series. Darren and his wife Kathy Brown were class acts, and I miss the man already.