Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The TCM Programming Challenge

path40a

hlydkjk - no plans to bring back the viewers' requests at this point; between the star-of-the-month, the spotlight, the guest programmers, Bob's picks, the Essentials, etc. we're running out of room to do all of the other stuff we want/need to do, but we do pay attention to the requests people make and try to incorporate them into the regular lineup when we can

tcmprogrammr

After programming just a week of TCM for fun, I know what you mean about running out of room for what needs to be included. I was editing out stuff like crazy.

I'm sure you guys are very conscientious about treating requests for films fairly. (And who needs a pile of mail on their desk all saying the same thing - "please show 'Gone With The Wind' or "The Wizard Of Oz'" )

You get no complaints from me. I think you all do a great job.

Kyle in Hollywood

I have my second rough draft finished for my weekly schedule after giving up on my first draft because my theme required to many film leases. So that theme only gets one prime time showing while my new theme gets the main feature treatment. I will have all totaled one main and three sub-themes. And yes I loose some films as a result but TCMProgrammer knows all about that I'm sure.

I will put the polish treatment on my schedule this weekend and hopefully post it then. Everyone's Weekly Schedule is so professionally done and top notch, gives the rest of us a challenge indeed.

Hey there lzcutter -

How's it going with your schedule? Is it coming together easily?

I used the p/s abbreviation to stand for "previously scheduled" and used it to designate films NOT in the TCM library proper (MGM/RKO et.al.) but have been shown on TCM in the recent past. (UA and Paramount films, for example.) I just wanted to acknowledge that I was aware these were "non-library" films but I knew it had played on the network recently and was the reason I felt comfortable using it on my schedule.

path40a said it was all fine and good to use any of the Paramount films that have been leased for an extended period of time as if they were library films for this exercise. ("Sunset Blvd." or "Double Indemnity" are fair game to be used as though they were made at MGM).

Were you just curious or are you looking for a little assistance with something? I'd be happy to help ya with anything I can.

kjk

Kyle,

I thought that's what it stood for as I was kind of playing by the same rules. Must be something in the water here for us West Coasters.

Schedule is almost done. Just have a few more things to add. Should be posting it this weekend if all goes well.

It's been fun putting it together. Have been trying to draw attention to films in a different way than we usually think. Hope it's not disappointing.

On that note, Path, can we create a new film series for TCM in our scheduling?

I think it would be great if you created a new film series. I took a stab at it, and I think that's ultimately what a good programmer does ... being creative. There's a lot of potential that TCM hasn't tapped into.

Are we the only West Coasters around here? Or just the only ones working on this project?

You've got me intrigued about your idea for your schedule. Looking forward to checking it out when it is ready.

I am thinking you and allieharding, who is also about ready to post a completed schedule, are going to raise the bar on us.

kjk

Message was edited by: kjk for silly typing errors! Arrgh!

hlywdkjk

"can we create a new film series for TCM in our scheduling?"

Absolutely lynn, great idea! In fact, as I put the current "obligations" in the optional category, you don't need to continue the existing "traditions" (silent sundays, the essentials, etc.) either. It's your channel, for a week at least;-)

path40a,

I am starting a one week schedule--got a 'time grid'...started to fill the thing out and immediately came to the conclusion...what a challenge!

I don't think I will approach the movie 'know-how' of the two schedules posted, but I will give it a shot.

Anyway. My question. I looked through this thread and did not see a relevant query. I am (probably) nit-picking, but if a star is chosen for a birthday tribute, oh...for instance, Lee Tracy on Monday. Should the Tuesday through Friday birthday tributes go to performers having birthdays one day after Lee Tracy, two days after Lee Tracy, and so on? I hope I am not repeating a question that has already been addressed, or (simply) "what a dumb question"...I am just wondering.

Angora

Angora, I'm sorry but I'm confused by the question. Let me just say that birthday salutes (e.g. those that TCM's programmer currently does) appear on the day, usually in the AM, of the performer's actual birthday. For example, George Brent was born on March 15th. Hence, TCM aired several (seven, actually) of his films today - the last one is still on, at least for a few more minutes.

If I haven't answered your question, could you restate it for me? Thanks!

path40a,

Thank you for the reply. I will schedule anyone (within the limitations of your original post) for a birthday celebration.

See...I wrote that I was (probably) asking a dumb question!

Angora

jarhfive -

Glad to hear your jumping in with the rest of us!

Here's a link to the IMDB index page.

http://imdb.com/a2z

It has a link to click on that allows you to find out who (in movies) was born on any certain day of the year. As for me, when I started my week for June, I picked the second week of June - 11th to the 17th. I went to this page and began browsing who was born on those days of June. It was pretty slim pickin's so I felt lucky to find two people who I could salute on their birthdays. (June 13th - Basil Rathbone & June 14th - Burl Ives.) The only other "famous" movie stars born during those seven days were Mary Wickes(13th also) Gene Barry(14th also), Jack Albertson (16th) and Ralph Bellamy (17th).

Why not check if there is a good birthday during a different week of June. Be aware that anyone who has a bio or mention on IMDB is listed on those pages so you really have to scan closely to find a "famous" person. Thankfully they are listed in reverse chronological order so that the oldest are near the end.

I hope this is helpful. Believe me, if I didn't know about the birthday website at IMDB, I wouldn't have had a clue as to who was born the second week of June.

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Once you get a good start, it gets easier.

Kyle in Hollywood

ps - IMDB also allows you to pull up a list of all fims / cartoons / shorts released by a movie studio. So if you want a list of all the RKO movies to choose from, it can be done there. (I used the RKO and MGM lists more than once to work out my schedule.)

kjk

filmlover,

Great choice for a starting day! Bet you have had trouble editing the films appropriate to Father's Day down to just a handful.

I actually thought about planning a day around Flag Day - June 14th. Flag Day has always been more memorable that normal for me because my hometown in Wisc. was one of the few cities in the country that had a big parade every year. But I abandoned the idea for a Flag Day salute when I could only come up with one "American flag film" - "The Sands Of Iwo Jima".

Anybody know of any other "flag films" that I couldn't come up with? There must be others.

Kyle in Hollywood

Yes, marvelous idea BUT just who the hell at tcm is going to pay attention.... And furthermore, I doubt if anyone's going to read it

- leobertucelli 2/10/06

Wow - a lot of great stuff. Do people mind if we steal some of their ideas?

- tcmprogrammr 3/13/06

Hmmm. Anybody want to comment? Or just smile contentedly instead.

kjk

Message was edited by: kjk to fix a date.

hlywdkjk

hlywdkjk,

Thank you so much for your gracious message and the IMDB link.

A couple of days ago, I had decided on my "themes". It is finding the films to 'fit' my themes that is difficult. I (simply) don't have the "cine-mental database" that you and MattHelm possess. I do have tenacity, so I will plug away at my schedule. I hope to finish by the end of this month.

BTW: I hope a forthcoming "Programming Challenge" schedule (I am afraid, not me) includes a lot of foreign films. If I had one wish (vis-a-vis TCM programming), foreign movies would be scheduled more often.

I think, TCM viewers who had the privilege of watching the great Luis Bunuel tribute a couple of years ago, or the masterpiece "Wings Of Desire", realize that so many classics are from places other than Hollywood. Number-wise, if I include "Bollywood" productions, I estimate 75 percent of circulating films are English sub-titled.

Sorry, I could not put the little "~" over the "n" in Bunuel. My keyboard is lacking the "right stuff".

Angora

Archived