Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The TCM Programming Challenge

A few notes:

I ignored Fathers Day because I knew that filmlover was working on that one.

Funny that we both saluted Bob Fosse on his birthday. :) We must both be Fosse fans!

New film series:

On Location would look at states and the films that were shot there.

Lit on Film would be a look at the great works of literature and how they were adapted for the silver screen.

TCM Guest Programmer would be each month one of us would get to program a block of films. I chose films that were listed on people's favorites in the favorites thread and added one of my own, Liberty Valence.

One new original program with the documentary on film preservation.

Hope you like it!!!

filmlover -

I knew I was going to like your week when I saw you put "Another Thin Man" at the top of your Father's Day set of films. Brilliant!

Glad to see you wanted to bring attention to the early Film Composers too. (Piece of trivia I learned in my research on Basil Rathbone - the first film to use the Max Steiner WB fanfare at the start of the film - "Tovarich")

And then you finish with a spotlight on 'The Hollywood Ten'. An amazing job.

And I am glad you stayed within the TCM weekly template. I thought that was the biggest part of the challenge. And you succeeded - how did I put it earlier? -Brilliantly!

Kyle in Hollywood

What a fantastic schedule! And I love your individual topics. If this was real, I would be warming up the DVD recorder. I truly think you did an amazing job. So many brilliant ideas I never thought of, but wish I had. Very clever. Great job.

I'm taking in all the schedules now that are coming in and I do like your Father's Day line-Up. "Life With Father" really caught my attention, making me want to pull out my 15 year old copy on VHS and watch it again (although it is in poor shape so I hope TCM will show it on Fathers day).

Your Judy Holliday line up made me think about "Good Neighbor Sam" for some reason, another of my favorite films (I guess because of Jack Lemmon).

Re: Lzcutter's stab at programming

Stab? You cut through this challenge with a surgeon's precision. And didn't leave a scar. You posted earlier that you wanted to showcase films in a different way and I think did you a great job of doing that.

I am going to display my ignorance - about the title to your Star of the Month Hattie McDaniel salute. What does "Send A Letter" refer to? I am really curious and feel a little foolish that I do not know and probably should.

We definitely share an appreciation of the Richard Schickel documentaries. One of the best ways to spend 60 min on TCM, agreed?

When I first started receiving TCM, once a month there was a "Cable in the Classroom" segment in the wee hours of a film from literature. Glad to see you think it is worth while idea to resurrect. (Thought of it this am when "Treasure Island" was on.)

Thanks for giving me a whole bunch of titles to keep an eye out for. If they have your seal of approval, they must be worth checking out. A Great Schedule!

Kyle in Hollywood

ps- "Bad Boy Musicians...", "He Done Her Wrong" & "She Done Him Just As Bad". You weren't trying to work through some personal issues on this project, were you?

(Just some friendly kidding. No offense!)

I know we are still getting in more schedules, but I just had a thought I would like to pursue, if others would take up the challenge, too. One month with each week being devoted to one studio. In other words, one week of just Warner Bros. films, one of MGM, etc. With seven days to work in, you could pick the very best of the best. You could even dedicate one decade per day, if you saw fit.

Path, since this thread was started by you, I would only proceed if you agreed to it. The original concept was yours and I would never want to do anything that would water down all that's been done.

Just a thought, and I am laying claim to the WB week if we do it.

Path, what do you think?

...but I just had a thought I would like to pursue, if others would take up the challenge, too.

I guess I am not alone in wanting to try this again. After seeing so many others' inspired ideas about a TCM schedule, it has only whetted my appetite to try again in some way. And the funny thing is I was also just thinking tonight of a twist if it something others would like to try.

I was thinking of assigning the same week to everyone - say the third week of July this year - and then comparing our work to the actual week that TCM posts and then judging our work against the professionals. Maybe the staff could let us know who the star of the month will be and what other recurring themes there may be that month so we could all work from the starting point. Just a thought as long as filmlover has brought it up.

Of course, the TCM staff may be filching our ideas here for the July schedule!

Kyle in Hollywood

ps - filmlover, your comment was very flattering but you and your work take the backseat to no one around here. You earned a seat up front.

My quick impression about this filmlover is:

....that if you had a month devoted to one studio, you might get to many contract players like Betty Davis, Bogart films for example. Doing the challenge I noticed that Columbia and Paramount had many of the interesting films along with Rank Film Corp. So if TCM ever did this they would have to lease at least 1/3 of that schedule out to include these other studios in order to balance everything out.

Just my thought on it.

Interesting idea, but I am not sure is all of us doing the same week would be as easy to do since even knowing the star would only be one day. That's why I like the one week per studio theme since it allows us complete freedom to be creative. I was just glancing at an old book called, "Warner Brothers Presnts" and the chapter headings alone could each possibly be a day: "Society's Losers," "Those Dancing Feet," "Sob Sisters," "Dering Do," "Warners Goes to War," etc.

allieharding, definitely true that the fact that other's studios output wouldn't be practical since it is not in the TCM library would be a budget problem. lol, also partly why I chose WB. But I saw the project as more of a fun thing to do, rather than something TCM might actually be able to do.

What does "Send A Letter" refer to? >>

Kyle,

It was meant tongue in cheek as Hattie has recently had a US Postage stamp in her honor.

<

The only thing better is Kevin Brownlow's "Hollywood". Both had a lasting impact on me. The other big impact was the AFI and their early tribute dinners that were broadcast and you could send away for a program. Hard to imagine that at that time, those men and that organization were the only ones who saw the importance of preserving and honoring our early film heritage. I will watch anything done by Brownlow or Schickel to this day and have rarely been disappointed.

<

(Just some friendly kidding. No offense!) >>

No offense taken, no personal issues. Just seemed if you were going to highlight bad boys, you should highlight the bad girls as well.

Thanks for the compliments. I knew it would be a challenge but I have even more respect now for the job.

I am glad to see that filmlover included the composers as I love a good film score and he/she chose some of my favorites. How often do you see "The Wind and the Lion" being recognized for its score? Kudos!!!!

Another idea I had and didn't use this time was for best introductory shot of a character. Examples would be John Wayne in "Stagecoach", Gable in "GWTW", Bogie in Casablanca, Connery in "The Wind and the Lion", Harrison Ford in "Raiders". There are more, maybe next time! Those shots alone would make a great intro of a program.

Plus, I love films from the 1960s and the 1970s but stayed away from programming too many of those (except where apropo) because I wanted to concentrate on the films and stars and directors that impacted the movies that impacted me.

Let's do this again!

One month with each week being devoted to one studio. In other words, one week of just Warner Bros. films, one of MGM, etc.>>

Filmlover,

How about this (of course, only if path is on board), it would be one week, one of these studios (RKO, pre-1948 Warner Bros, and pre-1986 MGM). I think it would be great to see what films we would each program just from the TCM library alone.

A bit of a challenge, yes. But fun? You betcha!

Mongo and Filmlover,

Thanks for the compliments! I was afraid it would be too esoteric.

I was fortunate growing up to have access to many of the films thanks to a local channel and the original MGM Grand Hotel's movie theatre.

I have loved the movies since I was young and I hoped my schedule would be a tribute to those movies because movies had such an impact on my life that I knew early on it was what I wanted to grow up to do.

And then, of course, there's Westerns.....

filmlover, it's probably too late to change the rules at this point, especially given the entries that were submitted under the originally proposed ones. However, I see no reason why multiple entries can't be submitted by the same person. Plus, lynn, I think what you've "just" posted reiterated my original rules wrt the library excepting the ability to add 2 TCM premieres and consider the previously scheduled Paramount titles, right?

Oops, I just reread what you posted lynn. Yes, one studio's programming (from the library) for one week, right? Again, a second entry (if you have the time and the desire before 3/31) or more from any individual in this contest would be fine. If anyone wants to start another thread with the modified "one studio" rule, go for it. But, could you wait until this one is over first? Thanks.

I'm glad that so many of you have taken up the challenge thus far and, in the process, have gained an appreciation for the difficulty, and the enjoyment, of the task. It would be nice to see entries from those who spend most of their time criticizing TCM's programming choices on these boards too.

Message was edited by:

path40a

These schedules are unbelievably good. I'm quite serious when I say I plan to steal some of the ideas. What I especially appreciate is the way everyone thought through the themes and the restrictions on the movies that are available. What I don't like is that it gives more fuel to the people who already think I should be replaced. path40a - thank you so much for organizing this.

lzutter and filmlover, great jobs.

I like the idea of best introductory shots of characters as a theme. Others that come to mind are Sinatra in Young at Heart, Willian Holden in Sunset Blvd, and Mitchum in Thunder Road/Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison.

Hi, Path,

I was noticing your reply to Lynn about doing one week for one stiudio and changiung the rules slightly. That was actually my fault. I proposed it in a post yesterday that I am copying below:

"I know we are still getting in more schedules, but I just had a thought I would like to pursue, if others would take up the challenge, too. One month with each week being devoted to one studio. In other words, one week of just Warner Bros. films, one of MGM, etc. With seven days to work in, you could pick the very best of the best. You could even dedicate one decade per day, if you saw fit.

Path, since this thread was started by you, I would only proceed if you agreed to it. The original concept was yours and I would never want to do anything that would water down all that's been done.

Just a thought, and I am laying claim to the WB week if we do it.

Path, what do you think?"

And that is how it began. As I wrote in that post, I wouldn't proceed without your blessing, and others agreed that without you involved we would go no further on it. I have too much respect for you.

Path and filmlover,

Rather than change the rules at this late date for the current challenge, why don't we just have a new challenge next month that incorporates filmlover's idea?

Makes it easier for everyone!

These schedules are unbelievably good. I'm quite serious when I say I plan to steal some of the ideas. What I especially appreciate is the way everyone thought through the themes and the restrictions on the movies that are available. What I don't like is that it gives more fuel to the people who already think I should be replaced. >>

TCMProgrammer,

I will be the first one to tell them that scheduling a week is not easy and it takes more than just a couple of hours. Planning an entire month is even harder and time consuming. I would imagine it's made even more difficult because of the films that are in restoration or the films that aren't on a digital format that you can broadcast. Luckily, for us at least, that wasn't part of the challenge

I agree with Path, I would like to see some of the more vocal critics take a stab at the challenge as I am curious and interested to see their ideas. Plus, it might give them an idea of how tough it is to schedule given the restrictions of the library.

As for using the ideas we've come up with, use away!!!!

Hi, lz,

Actually that was what I was thinking but didn't make clear. I saw it as an entirely new challenge to be done when this one was finished, not to be done concurrently with the current one or within it. That would be much too confusing.

And TCM programmer, believe me, even in kidding your job is in no danger. I started doing my week with fun, thinking I could incorporate everything I ever wanted to see, but as I began the actual process of filling the days I noticed I was working at it as if it were a real week. I wrestled with running times, what was available, working in regularly scheduled series, and I discovered it wasn't all fun. It was hard work. And painful when I had to leave off some films because there were only twenty-fours in a day. It took me about two weeks to complete just one week. Your job is safe.