Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The TCM Programming Challenge

filmlover and lzcutter,

Reading the TCM viewer's schedules is like auditing a "film classics" class. Good job!

I like the Pat O'Brien and James Cagney four movie block--Tivo or HDD record that eight hours might overload the recorder circuitry! Lots of rapid fire dialogue.

Also, the discussion concerning "best introductory shots of characters"?

"Ordet" (1955)--Johannes' (Preben Lerdorff Rye) 'windy' sermon.

lzcutter...I've got a question about Pandro S. Berman. Do you know if he (Pandro S. Berman) followed Katharine Hepburn from RKO to MGM, or K. Hepburn follow Pandro S. Berman? I've noticed both switched studios about the same time.

Rusty

TCMProgrammer, your job is not in any danger because I will state unequivocally that it takes a lot of time and effort to program one week, much less "THREE MONTHS IN ADVANCE!" I do hope those that have been unhappy about past schedules will put something together to show what films they would like to see in one weeks programming and the themes that they would choose to fit these films.

Rusty,

I love "Boy Meets Girl" with Pat and Jimmy. Some great rapid fire lines in that one.

As for Pan Berman and Kate, who went to MGM first. It may have been Berman. I'll have to check my RKO book when I get home!

Thanks for the compliments by the way.

Would love to cut together the intro shots montage, it would be great fun, especially with the right piece of music. Guess we'll have to start making a list of great intro shots of men and women. For some reason, I remember the mens' shots better. Those slow dollies in for effect is probably the reason. :)

I think a good theme would be, "It's not OK in Real Life, But OK on Screen." When Pretty Woman came out, I saw it with my girlfriend at the time. She thought it was so romantic. Yeah, there's nothing more romantic than a hooker marrying her John. How many other things have stigmas attached to them in real life that we don't bat an eyelash at in movies?

Yeah, as long as it wasn't a musical accompanied with music that comes out of nowhere. I'm wondering what other things that people accept from movies that they don't from real life. Breakfast at Tiffany's comes to mind.

Matt,

It's a good idea for a theme. The only down side I can see is that the movies are all about suspending disbelief. I, for one, have never seen Pretty Woman because of the very reason you cite. But when I was younger, I loved Breakfast at Tiffany's (Mickey Rooney, notwithstanding).

So, do you, as you grow older become more jaded or when you are younger and exposed to classic movies give them more of pass?

We definitely share an appreciation of the Richard Schickel documentaries. One of the best ways to spend 60 min on TCM, agreed?>>

Kyle,

On the Schickel documentary "Men Who Made the Movies" and choosing Raoul Walsh, I thought it would be great to show "SOB" with its send up to John Barrymore's corpse and then follow the screening with Raoul Walsh's interview about what actually happened with the corpse.

I figure y'all caught that reference. :)

So, do you, as you grow older become more jaded or when you are younger and exposed to classic movies give them more of pass?

Breakfast at Tiffany's really skates around what Holly is, treating the subject matter rather innocently. And there was redemption in the end that absolved the characters' of their sordid pasts. What's amazing about the classics is that they had the ability to imply rather than show. Also, they didn't try and morally equate everything. I think we, or some of us, become more jaded as not only are we shown everything these days, but are expected to accept it as well. There's less redemption and absolution because some movies tell us there's nothing wrong with its subject at all. It's hard out there for a pimp.

lzcutter -

Actually, the only films in the "Men Who Made The Movies" series I have had the good fortune to catch are George Cukor / Howard Hawks / King Vidor and Alfred Hitchcock. So I am anticipating TCM's showing of the Raoul Walsh episode in May.

Kyle in Hollywood

lzcutter,

In another thread, johnnyweekes70 mentions "I Sell Anything", starring Pat O'Brien, as worthy of a view. I agree.

Last Sunday, I watched a recording of "I Sell Anything". The movie must have been written with him (Pat O'Brien) in mind. Pat O'Brien is soooo good in "I Sell Anything".

One more thing.

I recently watched the Criterion disk of "Pickup On South Street", directed by Sam Fuller. One of the extras on the disk is an excerpt of Richard Schickel's Sam Fuller documentary (I think this was created for TCM). That guy (Sam Fuller) is one helluva interview (big cigar guy).

Rusty

Rusty,

Sam Fuller was definitely a character and a hellova guy. Richard Schickel restored Fuller's masterpiece, "The Big Red One", starring Lee Marvin (in one of his last, great roles) and Mark Hamill.

The only guy I knew who smoked a bigger stogie was Sam Z. Arkoff. He had an old convertible caddie and would tool around LA smoking the stogie and waving at folks.

Both Fuller and Arkoff were great gentlemen and true Hollywood characters.

Will have to keep my eye out for the doc!

With 10 days to go, we have five EXCELLENT entries thus far:

lzcutter - http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7785946

filmlover - http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7785902

allieharding - http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7785693

hlywdkjk - http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7784437

MattHelm - http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7783585

Thanks to each of you for participating; I hope that we will have more submissions before the deadline (3/31/6 - once it's April 1st in your time-zone).

I will be opening a separate thread sometime on April 1st (no fooling!), with a link to everyone's entry, for voting - one vote per registered user. No secret balloting, each board member will have one week (through Friday, April 7th) to post their selection to the voting thread. Since I believe that there will be a TCM provided prize, and to prevent ballot stuffing, only votes from those registered prior to the challenge announcement (2/26/6) will be deemed valid.

Message was edited by:

path40a

Does anyone know the name of a movie I think early 40's....The movie is about a stranger that takes care of an old lady in a wheelchair and he has a hat box underneath his bed he doesn't want anyone to look in....I want to say it's something like Wait Until Dark, or Wait Until Midnight.....

Help......

path40a -

Are you submitting a schedule? I hope so. I've been looking forward to seeing what interesting choices you'd program for a week.>>

Path,

I'm with Kyle on this one. Seems so wrong for you not to participate. Here's hoping Mongo and Larry participate too. Though Larry may be too busy saving Canada right now.

Would love to see Fred and Stoneyburke and Cornstarkel's programming ideas as well.