Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They come in threes, Dennis Weaver dies

vallo13

Dennis Weaver passed away on 2/24/06 of cancer. Best remembered for his role as Chester on TV's Gunsmoke, movies include War Arrow, Lawless Breed, It happens every Thursday, and the great first Spielberg TV movie 1971's 'Duel". Started acting career with the help of Shelly Winters was President of Screen actors Guild (1973 -1975) Rest In Peace Dennis..

vallo

Vallo, it does appear that these celebrity deaths come in 3's and that's sad.

Other than the films you mentioned, the appealing 6'2" actor Dennis Weaver also had 2nd. billing opposite James Cagney in "The Gallant Hours" and in the Orson Welles film-noir "Touch of Evil" he was the Mirador Motel night manager.

On screen from the early 1950s, he also won an Emmy Award as Chester on "Gunsmoke" and was nominated for his part as "McCloud".

In 2005 he was hosting on the Encore Westerns Channel, introducing the oat burners. Not bad for an 81 year old.

The gent was married for 60 years and has 3 sons.

Mongo

I also remember him as a rather nasty character in "Duel At Diablo" and a terrific role in the massive TV series "Centennial". He was a very likeable host of the Encore Westerns Channel. I also thought his reminisces with those that appeared on "Gunsmoke" were fun and informative.

Hello Everybody,

Dennis Weaver was the Grand Marshal of the Calgary Stampede several years ago.

I remember how popular he was with all the fans and how available he was for interviews and autographs. He was a true star and a real gentleman....

R.I.P. Dennis.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

• 1 month later...

Dennis also served as a host on the Encore Western Channels, giving background info on showcased movies and I am old enough to remember seeing him on Gunsmoke every saturday night with my dad giving life to Matt Dillon"s good hearted somewhat bumbling deputy Chester Goode. I still think Sam McCloud was his best TV character. Dennis, Don and Darren...so long to three great character actors who will achieve immortality through their film work.

Archived