Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please View Wuthering Heights

What version? If you're taking about William Wyler's 1939 one with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon (in my opinion the best version) TCM has aired it a number of times so it wouldn't surprise me if they show it again sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

If you think it makes you cry, just remember that Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon despised each other (they made another film together in 1939, THE DIVORCE OF LADY X), and couldn't wait for the filming to end. It must've been a very difficult year for both of them.

I guess thats what makes them both great actors. They put aside their differences and put the portrayal of the characters first and foremost. I think I heard somewhere that he wanted Vivien Leigh to play the lead in Wuthering Heights. I think that is the movie. She didn't get the role but went on to do Gone With the Wind and of course made history.

• 2 months later...

Aww. The first time I seen this movie which was about a year ago. I was mesmerized. One of my most favorite Laurence Olivier films. It was a good movie. Sad and romantic but, it had a happy ending. Heathcliff and Cathy ended up together in heaven. I talk to husband about it all the time. He doesnt understand me. He doesnt appriciate old films. I can watch this movie over and over and still cry on the sad scenes. :(

• 2 weeks later...

L.Olivier was good and good to look at,too.Was Kathy crazy or what??!! I think I would have tried to live on love with Olivier than the riches with David Niven??? We must stay true to the book.And her brother,what a foul-mouth he was!!! I enjoyed the cowardly,drunk's performance.

P.S.

rebecca,how could you not be satisfied with Maxim?? Because of you,he married the mousy Joan F.

I watched this movie with my mom years ago (the first time) I never get tired of seeing it .Meryl Oberon Laurence Olivier the intense love shared by them in the story is dark but yet beautiful at the same time.I love the last scene where their spirits are walking hand in hand toward Penniston Crag

• 3 weeks later...

"Wuthering Heights" will always be one of those classics that i will never tire to see.It is THE movie that got me into the classics in the first place.Laurence Olivier was the subject of my dreams when I was a little girl watching the movie with my mother.Even though I hated Merle Oberon(Cathy) for being so damned stuck up and materialistic, I also realized just how talented these two stars were.This was an all around great movie.I give it a 10!

You know Timothy Dalton played the Heathcliff character in the remake in 1970. He was really something to look at back then. And, he held his own all through the Bond movies. But, anyway, I don't know who played Cathy. Some nobody. Never heard of her before or since. It was good. But, I remember leaving the theatre thinking, "Wow, that was no Wuthering Heights!" But, it was!

I'm sure Anna Calder-Marshall would be saddened to hear she's a nobody. But then, I don't think the remake of Wuthering Heights counts. When I first got a DVD player, I rushsed to the local DVD store and looked for Wuthering Heights. I was stunned that this 1970 remake was available, but the magnificent 1939 version was not. I'm still not quite over this...

P.S. I've also been searching for a cd of the original soundtrack...

I watched this movie with my mom years ago (the first time) I never get tired of seeing it .Meryl Oberon Laurence Olivier the intense love shared by them in the story is dark but yet beautiful at the same time.I love the last scene where their spirits are walking hand in hand toward Penniston Crag.

Merle Oberon (by the way, she and Olivier despised each other).