Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Negativity for the Day

This is hilarious. Donald Trump picked four movies and AFTERWARDS it was obvious to everyone that he had no idea what he was talking about in reference to those films? I hope the same doesn't happen if he becomes president!

They were the most expertly produced, best acted, most luxurious movies America had to offer.

• Like 1

This is hilarious. Donald Trump picked four movies and AFTERWARDS it was obvious to everyone that he had no idea what he was talking about in reference to those films? I hope the same doesn't happen if he becomes president!

LOL. Anyone know what movies he picked?  Luckily, I must have missed that......

• Like 1

Trump selected THE AFRICAN QUEEN, GONE WITH THE WIND and CITIZEN KANE.

I once saw a recording of his introduction, with Robert Osborne, to THE AFRICAN QUEEN. It was laughable. He simply invoked the names of Bogart and Hepburn and said how much he loved their work. When Osborne asked Trump if he had a favorite scene in the film, his response was to the effect that he didn't recall anything specific but he just loved the movie.

Speaking in broad generalities is, evidently, nothing new for Mr. Trump.

• Like 3

I once saw a recording of his introduction, with Robert Osborne, to THE AFRICAN QUEEN. It was laughable. He simply invoked the names of Bogart and Hepburn and said how much he loved their work. When Osborne asked Trump if he had a favorite scene in the film, his response was to the effect that he didn't recall anything specific but he just loved the movie.

LMREO! Too funny. What a joke (or should I say, joker).....

Maybe clips of his on-air comments will resurface. At least he had the decency to pick films that most people enjoy watching. 

I hear they're going to build a wall around them.

Brilliant choice, Miss Wonderly!

Maybe Trump could come back and only chose movies with the word "wall" as his favorites?

I would suggest Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and maybe the noir classic "The High Wall" as starters?

Brilliant choice, Miss Wonderly!

Maybe Trump could come back and only chose movies with the word "wall" as his favorites?

I would suggest Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and maybe the noir classic "The High Wall" as starters?

The High Wall is a good choice but my guess is that Trump wouldn't think it was high enough.    :blink:

You convinced me. Molly Haskell for President!

• Like 1

Having the guest Programmer provide a list of films is a very sound approach.   The TCM programmers can pick from this list and this reduces the odds of TCM showing a film they have just shown recently or one of the standard repeats like NBNW or The Women etc...

Here's a WB list of movie-length features not scheduled on TCM anytime I could tell.  If I were the guest programmer, I'd go in and say "here, see if you can find any four movies from this list, from the early 1930s through 60s.  They can't all be unavailable."

http://www.moviecollector.us/reports/unscheduled_Warner_Bros_or_Vitaphone.htm

• Like 5

Here's a WB list of movie-length features not scheduled on TCM anytime I could tell.  If I were the guest programmer, I'd go in and say "here, see if you can find any four movies from this list, from the early 1930s through 60s.  They can't all be unavailable."

http://moviecollector.us/reports/temp_WB_unscheduled.htm

Wow! I love posts like this! Going through your list, just about everything silent WB ever did is gone. Also most of the Vitaphone early talkies are gone. Golddiggers of Broadway, On Trial,  Open Your Eyes...all gone. Lighthouse by the Sea, Night Cry, and Where the North Begins exist and were/are on Grapevine Video. That's because the original Rin Tin Tin silents still have a market.  So This is Paris was on Grapevine VHS.  Actually, Grapevine Video is a great place to look for these, but they are unrestored and then there is the main issue of any copyrights on music that was written to accompany the silents when it comes to broadcast. Grapevine also sells on Amazon. The annual " TCM Young Film Composers Competition" in which musicians scored silent films once took care of this, but then TCM's interest turned from music and film preservation to wine and ka-ching, thus so much for that.

Now we get to the early talkies. General Crack exists in silent form. l have a copy but it is unrestored. "Mammy" is a Jolson film sold by the Warner Archive that is about a minstrel show with plenty of black-face. So political correctness probably means that will never see the light of day. Hold Everything is lost. Recaptured Love has been on TCM many years ago. "The Singing Kid" has been on TCM before, but again, Jolson in blackface is the reason this is not being shown. TCM would probably not even show The Jazz Singer if it were not for its importance in film history.

Now you get to the middle thirties, and just about everything exists but is tied up in legal problems. This includes Ceiling Zero, The Perfect Specimen, The Desert Song (1943), Beyond the Forest, and Come Fill the Cup.

You get past 1960 and I get much less knowledgeable about film rights. I will say that "Billy Jack" has probably never been shown on TCM because there is an explicit rape scene in the film. Some of the 70s-90s stuff you mention might be future TCM Underground material. As for some of the more recent films, do you really want to inflict Batman & Robin (1997) , "The Postman", "Cats and Dogs" (2001), or even "Twister" (1997) on your fellow man?

Sorry for the long post, but I can get really long winded and passionate about rare and lost films.

P.S. I notice you didn't have any MGM films on your list, and "The Wonder of Women" is the only MGM film I can think of off hand that is lost. There must be others. That is because L.B. Mayer, for all of his faults, was very careful to preserve MGM's film history. The only MGM films I would list as unseen for years but in existence are both the 1929 and 1941 versions of "The Trial of Mary Dugan", both of which are tied up in rights problems.

• Like 2

Now you get to the middle thirties, and just about everything exists but is tied up in legal problems. This includes Ceiling Zero, The Perfect Specimen, The Desert Song (1943), Beyond the Forest, and Come Fill the Cup.

Do you know specifically what the hold up is with COME FILL THE CUP? It's the only Oscar nominated film of the 1950's that I haven't seen. I'd love to see it before I kick.

• Like 1

Wow! I love posts like this! Going through your list, just about everything silent WB ever did is gone. Also most of the Vitaphone early talkies are gone. Golddiggers of Broadway, On Trial,  Open Your Eyes...all gone. Lighthouse by the Sea, Night Cry, and Where the North Begins exist and were/are on Grapevine Video. That's because the original Rin Tin Tin silents still have a market.  So This is Paris was on Grapevine VHS.  Actually, Grapevine Video is a great place to look for these, but they are unrestored and then there is the main issue of any copyrights on music that was written to accompany the silents when it comes to broadcast. Grapevine also sells on Amazon. The annual " TCM Young Film Composers Competition" in which musicians scored silent films once took care of this, but then TCM's interest turned from music and film preservation to wine and ka-ching, thus so much for that.

Now we get to the early talkies. General Crack exists in silent form. l have a copy but it is unrestored. "Mammy" is a Jolson film sold by the Warner Archive that is about a minstrel show with plenty of black-face. So political correctness probably means that will never see the light of day. Hold Everything is lost. Recaptured Love has been on TCM many years ago. "The Singing Kid" has been on TCM before, but again, Jolson in blackface is the reason this is not being shown. TCM would probably not even show The Jazz Singer if it were not for its importance in film history.

You get past 1960 and I get much less knowledgeable about film rights. I will say that "Billy Jack" has probably never been shown on TCM because there is an explicit rape scene in the film. Some of the 70s-90s stuff you mention might be future TCM Underground material. As for some of the more recent films, do you really want to inflict Batman & Robin (1997) , "The Postman", "Cats and Dogs" (2001), or even "Twister" (1997) on your fellow man?

Sorry for the long post, but I can get really long winded and passionate about rare and lost films.

P.S. I notice you didn't have any MGM films on your list, and "The Wonder of Women" is the only MGM film I can think of off hand that is lost. There must be others. That is because L.B. Mayer, for all of his faults, was very careful to preserve MGM's film history. The only MGM films I would list as unseen for years but in existence are both the 1929 and 1941 versions of "The Trial of Mary Dugan", both of which are tied up in rights problems.

That was just filtered on "Warner Bros." or "Vitaphone".  That, and I removed anything marked as a "Short" in the Genre field, and also anything less than 29 minutes long.  In my statistics done in my signature, I used anything less than 19 minutes to define a short, but I am thinking about changing that to 29 minutes.

I have to get going right now, but since you liked that, here is a list filtered on "MGM".

http://www.moviecollector.us/reports/unscheduled_MGM.htm

These will be able to be found on the page linked to my signature too.

• Like 3

My favorite guest programmer since I've been watching was Patton Oswalt, because he actually got to premiere two very good films: The Wind Journeys (2009) and Aaltra (2004). It was obvious he was a big fan of all the films he had picked, and these were both from some film-of-the-month thing that I forget the name of. I thought it was courteous for them to let him pick the movies he wanted, even though they are on the newer side.

While Osborne has said they supply guest programmers with a list (and we can all guess what titles that includes) he has also said that programmers are encouraged to request other films, as well- but it seems most of them don't want to put that much effort into it. (Oswalt's first two choices were Kind Hearts and Coronets and 3:10 to Yuma. I wonder if those were on the list?)

• Like 1

If Trump turned out to be a disappointment, TCM can only blame itself, since being famous is no guarantee of being knowledgeable about movies. My mother would also disappoint, since she lost interest in movies after the 1970s, and she has no independent opinions of her own; she just likes what everybody else likes. Her likely choices would be BEN-HUR of 1959, OLIVER!, and particularly TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, which she likes so much that she would gladly watch it every day.

• Like 1

If Trump turned out to be a disappointment, TCM can only blame itself, since being famous is no guarantee of being knowledgeable about movies. My mother would also disappoint, since she lost interest in movies after the 1970s, and she has no independent opinions of her own; she just likes what everybody else likes. Her likely choices would be BEN-HUR of 1959, OLIVER!, and particularly TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, which she likes so much that she would gladly watch it every day.

If TCM showed it every day, I would be happy in someone killed the mockingbird.

Probably what happened is that Trump had some flunky intern watch the movie for him. But that person, not wanting to give up four hours of his life looking at an old flick, sent his girlfriend to the nearest bookstore where she promptly bought a copy of the Cliff's Notes version of Margaret Mitchell's bestseller. She only read every third page while she was doing her nails, but she did manage to plagiarize a few phrases, which she placed on an index card in perfectly neat handwriting, which her boyfriend then memorized and told Trump. Which Trump then repeated partially correct on air. TCM went along with it, and Trump thought he fooled everyone into thinking he had seen DONE WITH THE WINDY.

The former intern is now one of Trump's senior campaign managers and the girlfriend-turned-wife is Trump's top speech writer.

Hey TopBilled, I think you are giving Trump's intern too much credit as that person [possibly one of his Miss Universe unwinning contenders] probably found an old Classics Illustrated comic book, and used that.

Uh, not that there's anything wrong with doing such since Bogie had that hatcheck girl read a book for him in "In a Lonely Place" remember?

• Like 2