Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help me like Vivien Leigh!

pktrekgirl

Hi Rusty, are you saying that the "Hamlet" in which I thought I saw Vivien Leigh playing Ophelia,wasn't Vivien Leigh,it was Jean Simmons? Could it have been a filmed stage version that I saw? I just know that it was Vivien Leigh that I saw playing Ophelia,but I don't remember paying any attention to the credits. I just know that it was Vivien Leigh, I remember paying special attention to her mad scenes, knowing Vivien Leigh's real life history,and that Lawrence Olivier was her real life husband at the time. It was on TCM recently,when they were doing a "Shakespeare" festival or something of the kind. They also showed two different versions of "Othello",one with Orson Welles,and one with Lawrence Olivier.

daddysprimadonna,

I know! I thought (make that think) the same thing.

I know Viven Leigh worked with Olivier in "Hamlet". I am confused. Do you think IMDB cast list for "Hamlet" is wrong?

Okay. I just did a "joint venture" search of Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh:

21 Days (1940)

Darlings of the Gods (1989) (TV)

Fire Over England (1937)

Golden Gong, The (1985) (TV)

Larry and Vivien: The Oliviers in Love (2001) (TV)

Laurence Olivier: A Life (1982) (TV)

Prince, the Showgirl and Me, The (2004) (TV)

Sir John Mills' Moving Memories (2000) (V)

Tales of Helpmann, The (1990)

That Hamilton Woman (1941)

Vivien Leigh: Scarlett & Beyond (1990) (TV)

Wonderful Wizard of Oz: 50 Years of Magic, The (1990) (TV)

I feel like I am in an episode of the Twilight Zone!

Rusty

I feel like I am in an episode of the Twilight Zone!

So do I,LOL! I could be wrong,it wouldn't be the first time in my life;) I would've sworn that it was Vivien Leigh, I would've bet money,but I most certainly could be wrong. If it was a filmed version of a stage production,would it be on IMDB?

vidiot-I read in Janet Leigh's autobiograppy that Van Johnson picked Janet Leigh's lastname-I mean the Leigh name. He took it from Vivian Leigh's name. He was her costar in her first movie The Romance of Rosy Ridge. Anyway Janet tells of meeting Viv and letting her know how she got her last name and Viv wasn't impressed. It kind of hurt Janet's feelings.

pktrekgirl-I think Vivian will grow on you. My fav Leigh role is Waterloo Bridge and her favorite as someone already pointed out. She was a talent and it seems so hard to believe that the powerhouse performances she gave were coming from a place of personal torment. Bless her heart.

• 1 year later...

I read somewhere that the medication Vivien took for her Tuberculoses had something to do with her mental episodes only her doctors didn't connect this with her mental problems.

Drugs can sometimes have terrible side effects.

I wonder if this played a part in Viviens illness? If so what a tragedy.

She suffered so much. She worried constantly about going mad.

What a horrible way to live. Poor thing.

[nobr]Hi there, girl! Sorry it's taken me this long to get to this thread. As you may know, Gary and Miss Vivien Leigh are my two favorite stars of all, so I'm happy to see you want to like Viv (we know you already like Coop!). ;) Here are a couple of movie suggestions that show a very different Viv to Waterloo, GWTW and Streetcar, and which have not been mentioned:[/nobr]

[nobr]A Yank at Oxford[/nobr]

[nobr]Maureen O'Sullivan has the nominal leading lady role but Viv steals the whole show as the flirtatious and naughty bookseller's wife, "Elsa Craddock." The part shows her flair for comedy and lightness of touch. Her role may be small, but it's showy.[/nobr]

[nobr]Storm in a Teacup[/nobr]

[nobr]Co-stars Viv with Rex Harrison for the first time in a romantic comedy which one reviewer has described as Ealing meets Capra. Perhaps a shade less stellar than The Sidewalks of London, it's nevertheless charming and a perfect companion to that film.[/nobr]

[nobr]The problem is Viv's British films are hard to find. They were on dvd here a long time ago but only rarely show up on Ebay, etc., however they are on Region 2 and I believe you've said you have an all-region player. I'm planning on getting the R2 dvds myself eventually because I want all of her movies in my collection. She and Gary are the only two I'm really "completist" about.[/nobr]

[nobr]I do want to mention that the movie in which she costarred with Conrad Veidt is actually titled Dark Journey. You should be able to find a PD copy, but the picture isn't always great. She is still cutting her teeth as far as movie acting goes, and so is noticably stiffer than her later parts.[/nobr]

[nobr]Give That Hamilton Woman a try, too, though you may have the same reaction as to GWTW. The character is slightly similar, but she is beyond bewitching and gets to play young-to-old and does so very effectively. Not to mention it's based on the true story of Emma Hamilton and Lord Nelson's liason, and a romantic one it is.[/nobr]

[nobr]Happy viewing and let us know what your "final" decision is on Viv![/nobr]

[nobr]

Viv, Maureen & Robert Taylor in A Yank at Oxford[/nobr]

[nobr]

AYankatOxford-colorized.jpg

Hi, pktrekgirl

Have you seen "The Roman Spring Of Mrs. Stone?" I don't know if Tennesse Williams is your cup of tea, but I think this is one of the best film adaptations of his work...and one of my favorite Vivien Leigh performances. It is depressing. (Don't expect a happy ending.) Her performance is even more moving considering she was going through the painful divorce from Laurence Olivier.

The movie also features a marvelous performance from Lotte Lenya (as a pimp!) She should have won the supporting actress Oscar.

And Warren Beatty (despite his phoney Italian accent) ain't bad to look at!

Anyway, check out this video...before it gets removed...

As much as I loved the youthful VL in "Gone With The Wind," I can (sadly) relate to this sad portrayal of an abandoned middle-aged woman and find it especially poignant given that the love of her life had dumped her (she's quoted as saying she'd have preferred a short life with Larry to a long one without him and, indeed, she didn't live many years after he left her, at age 48 and him in HIS mid-50s, for the 31-year-old Joan Plowright). Interestingly, she's said to have found her beauty a detriment in her quest to be taken seriously as a great actress. Go figure...

Hi otterhere,

While I do wish Olivier had stayed with Viv, I think his reasons for leaving were more complicated, not really for Joan Plowright. Vivien's emotional and mental state had really deteriorated to an appalling degree and to his credit, he admitted to feeling like an absolute cad for leaving her. Yes, it was selfish, but it may be she needed the kind of help that sadly wasn't available at that time. Not many men are the kind of stuff that can take care of a woman in that condition 24 hours a day. Certainly not major stage and screen stars.

Miss G

Mmmm, well, he took the vows - in sickness, in health, and all that (of course, he took them with his FIRST wife and then promptly began an affair with VL), but we won't go into all that... Suffice it to say: if they do it with ya, they'll do it to ya???

The sad thing is that she really wanted to play Ophelia in Olivier's film of Hamlet. I read that in Anne Edward's biography that he believed that she was too old for that part. Probably right about that, but it must have hurt that he picked her virtual doppelganger for that role.

Thanks, Miss G, for responding.

I was shocked to see this thread given that I started it over a YEAR ago. Someone apparently dug it up from the dusty archives and bumped it.

But in any event, I appreciate your suggestions.

In the thirteen months since I originally posted this thread, I have made an effort to see more of her films, and I'm more warmed up to her than I was. She is still not my favorite...but I have been really trying to separate WATERLOO BRIDGE and A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (both of which I detest) from her other work. Last summer I watched GWTW again, and decided that each time I watch that film, I like her alot more than before. *lol*

I believe I have A YANK AT OXFORD lying around the house somewhere and I'll try to get to it. I don't think I have a copy of STORM IN A TEACUP, unfortunately.

No, I have not yet seen this film, benhowell.

But I will put it on the list with the ones MissG suggested.

I think my biggest problem is that I simply saw the wrong films. I am not a big fan of drama queens, so I tend to not like films like WATERLOO BRIDGE...where she gets the man of her dreams at last, and....walks in front of a TRUCK???

HELLO???? :P

I discovered this universal aversion to this sort of drama queen ending after I originally posted this thread 13 months ago. It finally hit me when about six months ago I was watching HUMORESQUE, which has a similar ending: woman gets the man of her dreams and responds by offing herself.

ACK!

I was REALLY annoyed with that ending as well, and as a result really hate that film, even though I know alot of people like it quite alot.

But anyway - the good news about that discovery is that I was able to determine that it was NOT Vivien Leigh that annoyed me in WATERLOO BRIDGE - it was the script itself.

I agree with you about those kinds of endings. I hate them! I went through all that turmoil with the heroine, only to have her commit hari-kari????? It's a gyp. Lately I try to stop the movie before it ends when I know what's coming. However, Waterloo Bridge is one of the most melancholy movies from start to finish and not a good choice to watch if one is blue and gas ovens and razor blades are nearby!