Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Making DVD copies

I am new to this board and this is my first post. I am wondering if there is someone else out there who is having this problem with recording movies to DVD.

On some, but not all, of my DVD recordings from TCM I get skipping and just plain stopping of the DVD on playback. This is happening after I have played back these movies before with perfect results. It is the same regardless of which of five DVD players I use. Skipping and/or stopping. I will try to get an answer from the manufacturer if you all are unable to answer my question.

Right now I have three in a pile to "Do Over" The Bishops Wife, Citizen Kane and Random Harvest. Does TCM put out some kind of destroy mechanism that kicks in after you play it a few times? I have only had this DVD recorder a few months so I am new to this recording as well. I do buy many movies for my collection but taping allows me to put some off for a while to shop for a good price. I can only purchase so many a month.

I have been reading the messages and answers here and have found some interesting ideas and comments.

I am a classic movie fan and watch TCM a lot.

I have recorded alot of films from TCM (first to TiVo, and then to DVD from there) and have not had this particular problem.

My only issue with recording films off of TCM lately is their propensity to cut the endings off of films for TiVo users. When a film is supposed to air from 8 pm to 10 pm....PLEASE don't have it end at 10:02 pm. Because TiVo subscribers then miss the last two minutes.

This happened AGAIN last night on "From Here to Eternity".

Very annoying.

You might want to change media and see what happens.

Thank you for your reply. I am using Memorex brand DVD's. Most are good, it is only those three so far. I would not be surprised if it was all of them or if they were bad the first time I viewed them after recording but they seemed fine the first time I viewed them just after recording. I must have done something wrong.

mpom,

I haven?t had that kind of problem, but I?ve had other kinds of DVD problems. When I use Sonly disks on my Panasonic recorder, about 1 out of every 10 disks stops in the middle of a TCM recording. I think this is a problem with the type of disks.

I?ve also used a lot of Verbatim disks and I?ve had only one of them (out of about 300) stop in the middle of a recording.

I think the problem is with the individual disks. I think the home DVD recording technology has some flaws in it.

My Panasonic will not record commercial movie tapes. It stops after a few seconds and says on the TV screen that the tape has some kind of electronic protection on it and it can?t be recorded. This is a system established by the film industry with a detector built into my recorder to turn it off whenever it detects a certain non-copy signal. But I can record other tapes, such as tapes I made off TCM, that don?t have the electronic protection.

You might try different brands of disks and see how they work out with your machines.

Yes, I found that the end to Goodbye Mr Chips that I recorded in Timer mode last Tuesday 1:00PM had the ending cut off. I thought I had timed it wrong. I use the international clock on the internet to set the timer on my DVD Recorder. I will keep it accurate by checking it more often.

I have switched to Verbatim DVD'S. Maybe this will help. I have a Magnavox Recorder. Most of the DVD'S I have recorded are Great. I have even recorded some of my VCR movies that I bought with success. Only one out of 12 would not go onto DVD because of copywrite issues. I was very happy with this result.

Hello, first I would look at the dvd. Does it have scratches or finger prints on the playing side of the disc. They scratch a lot easier than people think. If dirty take a damp lint free cloth and wipe. Be careful in using paper towels, many will leave little scratches. There are products you can buy to clean them with as well. Also products to help with scratches.

If the disc looks clean and scratch free, I would try a different brand of blank dvd's.

You should store them in the plastic disc cases. The ones for cd's work great. You can get a box of 100 for around $10.00 at Staples. If you prefer you can get one of the cases that are like photo albums and store them in there. Any cd storage cases will work and most are inexpensive. It really depends on your preference. I use the cd storage cases, they stack nicely in my media closet that I built shelves in just for dvd's and cd's. Good luck!

Thank you for your response. I can see a few very light scratches on these DVD's. This may be the cause. I treat them so well, keeping them in individual Jewel Cases, I am surprised to see these scratches. I will re-record them at a later time. I am sorry to lose these as they are some of my favorites. I will have to move them to the top of my Next to Buy wish list.

FredCDobbs,

Quote:

"My Panasonic will not record commercial movie tapes. It stops after a few seconds and says on the TV screen that the tape has some kind of electronic protection on it and it can’t be recorded. This is a system established by the film industry with a detector built into my recorder to turn it off whenever it detects a certain non-copy signal. But I can record other tapes, such as tapes I made off TCM, that don’t have the electronic protection."

I received a Toshiba combo hard disk/dvd recorder this morning. Reading the first few pages of the 160 page manual, I notice this thing will not record copy protected material including, 'copy once' to dvd-r disks. It will record 'copy once' source material to dvd-ram disks. I think source may have to be recorded to hard disk then to dvd-ram...I don't know at present.

Fred...does your recorder have dvd-ram capabilities? I think dvd-ram disks cost about two times dvd-r disks. That may be a solution to recording of 'copy once' source material.

Rusty

Stay away from the Sony GX315 and the New Toshiba model DVD recorders that are out there. They will not record programs that have flags which your provider may or may not transmit. You may run into a problem with Copy Once if you try to record on a DVR and then to a DVD recorder (you have already used up your copy once). If your DVD Recorder is at least 8 months old you should be a okay with recording all channels.

allieharding,

I did not see your message before I posted--my writing was in process. I hope the dvd-ram option works for 'copy once' source material. I have not hooked the thing up yet so, I will see.

BTW: The Toshiba is highly rated except for that crappy TV Guide thing.

Rusty

I recently got an LG recorder with 160 gb hard disk, high definition and can record/play most DVD disk formats. The only problem is that when recording from MGM's channel most films appear a bit faded. I am a subscriber to MGM through a satellite company in Greecere. Does anyone know whether it's the old movies, my recorder or the blank DVD disks which as I'm informed come in the video format?