Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has very American President been in a Hollywood film?

Some presidents have appeared in movies:  Sunrise at Campobello, Wilson, Lincoln, Thirteen Days, Nixon are the ones that immediately come to mind.  I know there's been a movie where Andrew Johnson is the hero.  And John Quincey Adams appears in Amistad after his presidency had ended.  But what about the less obvious examples.  What about Madison, Monroe, both Harrisons, Tyler, Polk, the four pre-Civil war presidents, as well as Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, McKinley, Taft, Harding and Coolidge?

President Polk was portrayed by Edward Earle in "Can't Help Singing", which was Deanna Durbin's only movie in color.  By the way, in case any message board posters are wondering, she was lovely in the film and not chubby. 

William Henry Harrison was portrayed by Douglas Dumbrille in "Ten Gentlemen From West Point".

Zachary Taylor was played by Robert Barrat in "Distant Drums", which starred Gary Cooper.

Franklin Pierce was played by Porter Hall in "The Great Moment", a Preston Surges film that starred Joel McCrae.  We had that question in "Games And Trivia" some time ago.

James Madison was portrayed by Burgess Meredith in "Magnificent Doll".  Ginger Rogers played his wife, Dolly.

Go to IMDB and check out the cast list for a 1939 movie called "The Monroe Doctrine".  Several presidents were portrayed in that film.  

Maybe someone else can finish your list for you.

John Alexander who portrayed the mentally ill cousin of Cary Grant (or maybe he was Cary Grant's brother??) in Arsenic and Old Lace who thought he was Theodore Roosevelt and also portrayed Roosevelt in Fancy Pants with Lucille Ball and Bob Hope.

I saw this thread and immediately thought:

"There's William Henry Harrison... I died in thirty days!"

I hope that's just a typo and you didn't really die in 30 days, speedracer. There are times, though, when I do find your writing quite spiritual.

I hope that's just a typo and you didn't really die in 30 days, speedracer. There are times, though, when I do find your writing quite spiritual.

Lol no. That's a quote from The Simpsons when the kids are doing a pageant about the lesser known presidents.

John Alexander who portrayed the mentally ill cousin of Cary Grant (or maybe he was Cary Grant's brother??) in Arsenic and Old Lace who thought he was Theodore Roosevelt and also portrayed Roosevelt in Fancy Pants with Lucille Ball and Bob Hope.

The other Roosevelt was kind of in the Olivia DeHavilland movie Princess O'Rourke;   he is heard but never seen. 

Canadians as U.S. Presidents ...

Walter Huston in Abraham Lincoln (1930)

Raymond Massey in Abe Lincoln In Illinois (1940)

Alexander Knox in Wilson (1944)

Bruce Greenwood in Thirteen Days (2000)

Gordon Pinsent in Colossus, The Forbin Project (1970)

William Shatner in The Kidnapping of the President (1980)

Ted Cruz in 2016 ... er, let's hope not.

• Like 1

How about the Presidents from Ford through Obama?

Well, "Primary Colors" (1998) is about Bill and Hillary Clinton's first time on the presidential campaign trail, although it doesn't use their real names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIHasecz5d0

And Oliver Stone did "W," a 2008 biopic about Bush 43 that includes scenes with Bush 41. 

How about the Presidents from Ford through Obama?

James Brolin played Reagan in a mini-series. Michael Douglas is supposed to be playing him in an upcoming movie.

Josh Brolin played W. in W. James Cromwell played Bush Sr in the same movie.

James Brolin played Reagan in a mini-series. Michael Douglas is supposed to be playing him in an upcoming movie.

Josh Brolin played W. in W. James Cromwell played Bush Sr in the same movie.

Chevy Chase could have played Ford in a film in which the Prez did 90 minutes of pratfalls.

• Like 2

Richard Crenna portrayed the 40th president in the 2001 made-for-TV movie "The Day Reagan Was Shot."

And in "Black Sunday" (1977), there's a Jimmy Carter lookalike at the Super Bowl in Miami as terrorists approach the stadium in a hijacked blimp.

Robert Duvall and Tom Selleck have both played Eisenhower in tv films.

Randy Quaid played LBJ in a tv movie. Donald Moffat was LBJ in THE RIGHT STUFF.

There's an upcoming LBJ biopic with Woody Harrelson in the role. Tom Wilkinson played him in SELMA, and LEE DANIEL'S THE BUTLER has a bunch of presidents depicted, but I don't recall who played whom. I think Bryan Cranston is also playing LBJ in an HBO film. Michael Gambon was LBJ in an earlier HBO movie, PATH TO WAR.

So much LBJ.

There's an upcoming LBJ biopic with Woody Harrelson in the role. Tom Wilkinson played him in SELMA, and LEE DANIEL'S THE BUTLER has a bunch of presidents depicted, but I don't recall who played whom. I think Bryan Cranston is also playing LBJ in an HBO film. Michael Gambon was LBJ in an earlier HBO movie, PATH TO WAR.

So much LBJ.

Woody Harrelson as LBJ? This I've got to see.

So much LBJ.

You hit the mother lode with "Lee Daniels' The Butler": Robin Williams as Eisenhower, James Marsden as JFK, Liev Schreiber as LBJ, John Cusack as Nixon and Alan Rickman as Reagan.

I remembered another miniseries, BACKSTAIRS AT THE WHITE HOUSE. Had to look up who was who...

Victor Buono as William Howard Taft

Robert Vaughn as Woodrow Wilson

George Kennedy as Warren Harding

Ed Flanders as Calvin Coolidge

Larry Gates as Herbert Hoover

John Anderson as FDR

Harry Morgan as Harry Truman

Andrew Duggan as Dwight Eisenhower

Here's ya a little known fact, folks!

The 1970's one-man play that starred James Whitmore was originally titled, "Give 'Em Hell, Millard Fillmore".

BUT in a wise move, the subject of the play was soon changed and revised to showcase Harry S. Truman instead, and thus the rest is history.

(...poor ol' Millard...or as he's otherwise known, "Unlucky Number 13")

;)

Teddy Roosevelt made a brief appearance in TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME last night, played by an actor I'd never heard of named Ed Cassidy. Oh, the things you learn on imdb. Looks like he mostly did B-Westerns and television, but he did play Pa Kent in Chapter One of a 1948 Superman movie serial.

Of course, the late, great Robin Williams also played TR (or more accurately a wax figure who looked and acted like TR) in three NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM movies.