Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Essentials 2006 Schedule released

While waiting for the May Schedule to be posted, you might want to check out the new Essentials website.

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/2006/essentials/home.jsp

Click on the "upcoming titles" link (in the box on the right where the details of the film are displayed) and you'll get the full list of films for the year.

(I am happy to see "Stalag 17" on the list. Too bad it isn't showing 'til November)

Film critic Molly Haskell co-hosts with Robert Osborne this year. That is kind of disappointing but at least the powers that be didn't hand over the job to Ben Mankeiwicz.

Kyle in Hollywood

Great find, Kyle! I was excited to see some newer (infrequently shown) titles like "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Foreign Correspondent, Written on the Wind, and The Manchurian Candidate" (in addition to Stalag 17)!.

Having Molly Haskell doesn't make it very promising. I'm expecting a definite attitude in her comments (and if that sounds unfair, just look at the titles of her books).

And Robert Osborne is great, but it's always been nice to have someone else's style, just to add some variety.

I think you right about Ms Haskell bringing a woman's perspective ("attitiude", as you call it) to the films on the schedule. In fact, looking at the schedule again, it is rather apparent that a woman chose many of these titles - or at least would want to speak about them. (Written On The Wind / Imitation Of Life / Jezebel / Gone With The Wind / My Fair Lady) It is much more coherent list knowing that.

But I am also intrigued to hear what she may want to say about From Here To Eternity. I always think of the film as a military film but I hope she brings something inspired out about the female characters - especially the Donna Reed character who gets the last line in the film. (I think).

I hope it is an interesting season. When I saw Imitation Of Life ('59) on the April schedule as an Essential and before I knew Molly Haskell was going to host, I was wondering who would choose that particular film (which I appreciate only as high camp.) The only person I could come up with was John Waters. Now THAT would be an interesting Essentails evening. (And Lord only knows what John Waters could say about Written On The Wind - another camp classic.)

Kyle in Hollywood

path40a -

Along with Stalag 17 - which I have desperately wanted a copy of - I am also excited to see Written On The Wind. I hear it is the quintessential Douglas Sirk film. And Foreign Correspondent is, I think, a very neglected Hitchcock film. I was so surprised when I first saw it. It is every bit as much fun as North By Northwest (even with the war polemic at the end). And the post-assasination getaway through the umbrellas in truly inspired. Who today would even think of such a shot? No one I can name.

kjk