Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Bette Davis Film

There aren't many Davis films I don't like. She's so fascinating and fun to watch - especially when she's playing a bad girl. "No one's as good as Bette when she's bad". LOL

But I really like "Deception" which isn't as well known as some of her other Warner films. She always seemed to be at her best when co-starring opposite Claude Rains (an actor whom she liked and admired tremendously). This movie, along with "Elizabeth and Essex" and "Juarez" have brilliant scores by the incomporable Erich Wolfgang Korngold.

I also like "Beyond The Forest" because of it's blatant campiness. No one shoots a porcupine and says "What a dump" like Bette.

it is hard to pick an overall favorite accordingly and i sort of categorize my faves for each decade of her amazing career. off the top of my head i'll pick "the old maid", "now, voyager", "all about eve" and later in her career "strangers, the story of a mother and daughter"

Now Voyager, The Little Foxes, All About Eve & The Letter.

I've always been a passionate fan of Bette Davis, especially the many fine films she made in the 1930s & 1940's. While some of Miss Davis' early Warners films were made available on VHS, she is sadly neglected on DVD. Only a handful of her top films have made it to DVD and these are also frequently aired on TV and in revivals.

I'd like to see at least one expansive early Davis collection from Warners Home Video which includes her wonderful "little films" from the early 1930s -- titles like The Cabin in the Cotton, Three on a Match, Bureau of Missing Persons, Jimmy the Gent (with Cagney), Fashions, Fog Over Frisco (rarely seen and likely the fastest paced movie of the 30s!), Bordertown, Dangerous and It's Love I'm After (a delight! with Leslie Howard). Am I the only fan interested in these early gems? How do we lobby Warners?

Yes, I have some of these titles on VHS but would prefer DVD format. I hear that Dangerous will be part of an upcoming release and that Satan Met a Lady will be included in a forthcoming DVD packaging all 3 versions of The Maltese Falcon. But I want as much Bette as possible on DVD and I hope others do too?

I'd like to see those early Davis Warner Brothers films, too. It looks like TCM will be showing a lot of them in May when she is Star of the Month. I am going to try to record as many as I can! I always find her interesting to watch, even if the film isn't that great. I think that my favorites are MR. SKEFFINGTON, ALL ABOUT EVE, and MARKED WOMAN.

SAndy K

DECEPTION is my favorite; it seems to dissect the private lives of classical

musicians as eagerly as ALL ABOUT EVE does theatre people. And then

there's THE VIRGIN QUEEN; nobody seems to remember that delight, and

how Bette seemed to enjoy outdoing herself as Elizabeth. THE STAR had

it' s moments too, as did PAYMENT ON DEMAND which I hope will resurface

someday.

Favorite: "The Little Foxes"

Least Favorite: "Watch on the Rhine" (She's almost unwatchable in this, playing her role with the subtlety of a civil defense siren. "Now I'm scared...now I'm being brave...now I'm being protective of my husband....now I'm putting on a brave facade to hide how scared I am...").

Now Voyager is my absolute favorite. It is such a heart wrenching story! I love when Bette is comforting Tina in the bed and Tina cries " I'm ugly! " I hate to say it, but that line has sort of become a joke in our family- whe one of us is having a bad hair day or feeling blah- we'll reinact the scene and shout " I'm UGLY!!" It is much fun- haha .

I discovered my favorite Bette Davis film right here on TCM: "It's Love I'm After".

This 1937 Warner Bros. film has a wickedly clever script with extremely funny performances. Stars include Leslie Howard and Olivia deHavilland. (Recently it was redone as "Being Julia".) I've been looking for "It's Love I'm After" in any format but without luck. I just hope TCM shows it again. If they do, then by all means try to catch it. It really does live up to the term, "classic movie". I'm surprised (and disappointed) that it's so obscure.