Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Bette Davis Film

Love Bette Davis and many of her movies, though some I struggled through I have to say, like The Letter. Couldn't bare to watch The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex for sheer unbearable costumes, makeup, and set pieces. I find that classic period films were best left to the sword-and-sandal stuff, like Cleopatra, or Ben-Hur. That said, . . . Baby Jane was a bit too creepy, but her best films to me are All About Eve--Addison DeWitt being one of the best onscreen characters ever (George Sanders was truly deserving of his Oscar)--Now Voyager, which details her remarkable transformation from ugly duckling to a lady of pure sophistication, Jezebel and Dark Victory, though she overacted a bit in the latter. Also enjoyed The Star, but I have many more of her films to absorb before I am anywhere near through with a proper list of her vast accomplishments.

All About Eve is way up there for me though. I view it as her best I think, plus the script is sheer brilliance.

Bogie

Most of her early Warners' pictures. They're vastly underrated. Her performances in them are more engaging these days than some of her 'big' pictures of her later years. Though it's trite, The Golden Arrow has one of her most natural performances, so does Parachute Jumper. She's unbelievably sexy in Cabin in the Cotton and Ex-Lady. I'm very interested in seeing The Dark Horse, The Working Man and a few other early pictures during next month's SOTM tribute to complete my Davis viewing experience.

I'm hopping on the bandwagon with you johnnyweekes70. I'm getting my DVD-recorder ready so I can get those airings on disc in May. I'm sure there'll be some electrifying performances from her. Incidentally, I've never seen the pictures you mentioned, but am looking forward to them nonetheless.

Bogie

• 1 month later...

The Little Foxes, is there anything more chilling than Bette's words as Regina, "I hope you die, I hope you die soon, I'll be waiting for you to die" to her long suffering Horace (Bart Marshall)?

All About Eve, The Letter and The Virgin Queen. I agree with the person who posted that some of her early work has been pretty much ignored and I, for one, would love to see her early work (30's and 40's) possibly presented in a Bette Davis film festival. There is one in particular I saw on the public television station years ago, The Bride Came C.O.D., with Jimmy Cagney. It was a screwball romantic comedy - I got a kick out of watching 2 of the best dramatic actors going at it in a farce. It seemed to me that they were having great fun in the picture, there was good chemistry and perfect comic timing by both actors. But I too have trouble choosing just one Bette Davis film as a favorite.

I have to agree with the majority and pick All About Eve, though It's Love I'm After, Jezebel and The Little Foxes are big favorites too. I don't think I like her "nice girl" roles as much--she seemed to have so much fun being bad.

I have too many favorite Bette Davis films, I fear. Here's my list:

Now, Voyager

The Man Who Came to Dinner

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

-- I'll let you in on a little secret, though - the top two are my very favorites! ^_~

If I were stranded on a desert island . . . .

Well, if I had to choose only one film, it would be Dark Victory. She was so pretty in that fim. She gave such a performance. It always makes anyone who sees it cry. But, she was awfully funny in it as well. Her clothes were great, and she had a great suppporting cast including Bogart! She went from being sooo "Bette Davis" with her, "I'm 23 years old, an only child. I weigh 110 pounds striped. I've had measles, mumps and whooping cough all at the poper ages. I believe I have no congenital weaknesses. . . ! My father drank himself to death; my mother lives in Paris. I take a great deal of exersice. I'm accustomed to a reasonable quantity of tobacco and alchohol. I'm said to have a sense of humor. Is that enough? (lights a cigarette!), to being maudlin and self-pitying in the bar when singing, "Oh, give me TIME for TEN-DER-NESS," to being brave and self-sacrificing with her sight failing her at the end while sending her husband off to receive his medal!

I know there are also The Little Foxes, The Letter, Jezebel, Now, Voyager, and All About Eve. But, there is just something about her range in this movie that gets me, and SHE DIES! I love movies where they die. Bette hardly ever died. She was great!

Yup! I pick DARK VICTORY!

The very best film Bette Davis was in to me, was The Little Foxes. It's a marvelous film, and my favorette seen is when she lets her husband die by not giving him his pills, her performance in that movie was marvelous. She was so cold in that film, and had absolutly no sensitivity at all. I adore this movie.

The word is frumpy, she looked like a low-class or maybe middle class, haus frau.She played the sacrifing mother to a tee, I really feel sorry for her being married to that frog-faced tightwad, reminds of of someone close to home.Now that is a lonesome life!

I loved the scene with the inlaws coming to their apartment for the first time. And, yes, he was a tightwad. But, he wanted that cab so much. As a guy in my later years, I relate to how much that meant to him as far as accomplishment and having something concrete after all those years of sacrifice.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! *The Corn is Green* is totally my favorite too!!! Needs a good DVD release. Of course, there is some political incorrectitude in it, i.e., the film's sub-theme that the Welsh language is somehow corrupt and inferior. Whatever. If it were politic it wouldn't be classic.

Second favorite: *The Letter*. The Bette-esque scene-chewing fit the character.

Least favorite: *Pocketful of Miracles*. Family-oriented snoozefest.

So bad it's good: *Whatever Happened to Baby Jane*. Too bad Bette only kicked Joan's ribs instead of her face.

Quintessential Bette: *Of Human Bondage*. Is there any doubt Bette was as cold and narcissitic as Mildred Rogers? Okay, well maybe there is. Still, even Joan Crawford managed to make and keep a woman friend or two.

Bette rules.