Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WOW! May is an INCREDIBLE month!

I just looked through the listings and there are so many great things in it that it is hard to know where to begin, but I'll try:

1. A lot of old 1930s films I haven't seen, let alone heard of.

2. A comprehensive salute to what must be the Star of the Month, Bette Davis.

3. A history of how African Americans have been portrayed in films. And I want to address two points about this:

a. It takes a lot of courage to schedule "Birth of a Nation." I think it was less than a year ago that The Silent Movie Theater here in Hollywood on Fairfax scheduled it but there were many protestors about racism and I think it got pulled before it opened. Hopefully, any possible protests now will be silenced by the fact that TCM has programmed the month that covers the history through today of black people in movies. And that leads into my second point:

b. The recent films in the series are important for TCM to show in order to give the history its due, SO I don't want to hear any complaints from those who hate any recent movies on TCM. These aren't just some recent films on the schedule; these are important for a balanced view. If you leave off these and just have the early films, then you would get protests of racism.

4. Marilyn Monroe films on TCM is great. I thought they would be locked up on the Fox Movie Channel since they run so much of Twentieth Century-Fox.

5. There are various tributes to make a lot of people happy, including almost a full day devoted to documentaries about the stars.

GREAT, GREAT job, TCM Programmer.

Message was edited by:

filmlover

filmlover,

Quote:

"It takes a lot of courage to schedule "Birth of a Nation." I think it was less than a year ago that The Silent Movie Theater here in Hollywood on Fairfax scheduled it but there were many protestors about racism and I think it got pulled before it opened..."

I saw something about that protest on, I think, yuck...AMC.

Honestly, don't the protestors have better things to do with their time? Charity work?

I apologize for the last couple of sentences--posting something that is soo, "we have not heard that before?". My fingers had a 'mind of their own'.

Rusty

I do have one complaint. A number of movies that are designated as color in the TCM schedule are said to be black & white on imdb.com. I've seen TCM do this occassionally but never so many in one month. This is especially annoying if you think you're going to watch a pre-1939 color film, and it's black and white instead. These films are:

The Sin Ship (1931)

The Wedding Night (1935)

The Dark Angel (1935)

The Real Glory (1939)

Annabel Takes a Tour (1938)

Strike Me Pink (1936)

I appreciate how difficult it is to put together a schedule and get all the information on a film right, not to mention those deadlines. If it is imdb that is in error, and these films _are_ in color, than I apologize.

If people had their way we would lose a lot of important films. I believe the Fox movie channel had to cancel it's Charlie Chan marathon a few years ago because of protesters. I personally what to see Triumph of The Will and Birth of A Nation for various reasons which are more analytical then for enjoyment. I learned a long time ago that if you like classic movies you can't let everything bother you.

Yes, it's a good schedule, filmlover, and you did a great job of summarizing things. It's funny that another thread in the Favorites folder was just started regarding what everyone's favorite Bette Davis role was, and here we'll get a chance to see most of them, in addition to a new documentary I've not seen titled "Stardust: The Bette Davis Story (2005)"!

Also, kudos to TCM for showing Birth of a Nation (1915), which is sure to stir up things on these boards, like the topic did last spring (as I recall), when tcmprogrammer posted that they'd probably be showing it again in the right context. However, given the more recent topics around here, I think May 30th's line-up (films from the 90's, oh no!) and the fact that the anime films are being shown again (even though they'll air during the wee hours) will cause more cries of horror;-)

A couple of specific titles I'm looking forward to seeing (again) are The Joe Louis Story & How to Marry a Millionaire, in addition to the annual Memorial Day weekend programming that I always enjoy.

I have tons of movies to tape in March.

Dessert Nights

Made in Broadway, Age of Consent, Bed of Roses, I like Your Nerve and all the rest the morning of the 16th, Phantom of Paris and Fast Workers, White Shadows in the South Sea, The Pagan, Cuban Love Story, Remember Last Night, Red City, Clairvoyant, Another Face and Right to Romance.

I just had a chance to view the May, 2006 schedule once again and was struck by how many documentary-type programs will be shown. They are scattered throughout the month, but are also concentrated on May 8th.

path40a -

The documentary selections in May have me very excited - especially the Raoul Walsh Men Who Make The Movies that I have never seen.

Sadly, there were two I wish I were going to be on -

"Musicals Great Musicals - The Arthur Freed Unit at MGM" and

"Going Through The Roof - The Artistry of Busby Berkeley".

(I may have to buy the Busby Berkeley box set now just to get my hands on that.)

I remember fondly the month that was devoted to documentary films. I am happy to have The Kennedy Trilogy and Four Days In November in my collection. Anyone remember if they showed "Grey Gardens"? Its just been turned into a musical, of all things, and would love to see it.

Now if we could only get TCM to rerun the Kevin Brownlow "Hollywood" series that was shown during the first year I had TCM. At the time, I was more interested in catching all the great films than in a British documentary. Silly me.

Kyle in Hollywood

I also salute TCM for the decision to show "Birth of a Nation." I own the DVD, but it's an important film that needs to be seen.

However, I'm bothered far more by those who dismiss the concerns of the people who protest it than I am by the protesters themselves. It is an unquestionably racist movie, and not in the offhand way shown in many old films, but in a very deliberate manner. It has lost much of its power as a film, but none of its ability to offend. Dismissing or downplaying that power is as wrong as attempts to censor it.

There is one documentary I want to see so much again, but it hasn't been rebroadcast and isn't available on video. "Life Goes to the Movies". It was a terrific look back at movies spanning several decades, with great clips. Sure, there was a book called that, but that is not the documentary. I wonder if it even exists in the vaults any more.

Filmlover,

The good news is that yes, Life Goes to the Movies is resting quite well in the vaults at UCLA Archives as well as the Academy's Pickford Center here in Hollywood.

Am hoping someday someone realizes that it needs to be rebroadcast and more importantly, put out on DVD.

Was one of Jack Haley, Jr's best docs with yeoman help from Richard Schickel.

I am super excited for Bette Davis as STOM! Looking over the new schedule, it seems as though Miss Davis will be getting 24 hour tributes. But I am sorely disappointed that "Beyond the Forest" is not being shown. While it's not her best work, it did spawn that classic line "What a dump!" I assumed that since it's a WB movie, TCM owns it. Very disappointing.

It's also nice to see a birthday salute to Miss Davis's 'Beyond the Forest' co-star, Joseph Cotten (May 15th). I know last year, I was disappointed that he didn't get one to mark his 100th birthday, but better late than never. If there's one actor who deserves one, it's him. Totally underrated in my book.

BEYOND THE FOREST, released in 1949, is owned by Warner Brothers. TCM controls only the Warner Brothers films released through 1948. So if TCM wanted to show BEYOND THE FOREST, they would have to lease it from Warner Brothers.

lz, thanks for the info. That's good news that it still survives and is the hands of someone good. I had previously called the Museum of TV & Radio here in L.A. and they didn't have a copy at this point for viewing.

I am also quite pleased about the May schedule!

Lots of stuff I've not seen that I've always wanted to. And lots of interesting-looking documentaries!

Plus, all the Bette Davis you can handle!

Very excited about "Conquest", too. Garbo and Boyer - definitely looking forward to that!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Valentino movies that will be shown

in May. On Sunday 5/20 TCM will be showing 7 Valentino movies including

the recently discovered and restored "Beyond The Rocks". This movie was

believed lost for over 80 years. Also being shown that night is "The Young

Rajah" which I also thought was a lost film. I'm wondering if this movie was

pieced together from stills as they did with "London After Midnight", the lost

Lon Chaney silent. In any case I'm very excited to be able to see all these films.

I plan to stay glued to my TV set that day. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to post a thread about the May schedule and am glad I did a search beforehand because I found this one. There really isn't too much left to say - lots of great comments already. All I will add is that I am incredibly impressed. IMO this is the best month in a long, long time. There are a lot of pre-code, lesser known films listed for May that I can't wait to see; the wonderful Bette is SOTM; tons of documentaries, I especially like the whole day of them; and as mentioned, Birth of a Nation. I've wanted to see BOAN for years and am really looking forward to it. I know there were other things that I wanted to comment on that I can't remember so I'll just say that I was blown away while reading May's schedule. April and June are not bad, either - but May's is terrific!

Thanks TCMProgrammer - lots of thought went into May's schedule IMO and I, for one, appreciate it.

For ?Maltese Falcon? fans, the 2nd version of this film, ?Satan Met a Lady?, will be showing on May 11th, at 9:45 AM Eastern time. This one has Warren William playing the detective.

Thanks To TCM Programmer for May schedule. I better start now, stocking up on tape. I have seen bits and pieces of BOAN in film class a LONG time ago, so I am looking forward to seeing it from start to finish. It seems EVERYDAY there is fun stuff to watch. Alot of those early Bette Davis movies, I can't recall ever seeing. It will be interesting to see her in some of her early films in which she is sort of "in development".

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Now Playing Guide for May, today, and it's a good one. Robert Osborne (as usual) wrote a terrific article on SOTM Bette Davis, and it confirms that Stardust: The Bette Davis Story (airing 5/3, 5/18, & 5/25) is an all new TCM original documentary. Additionally, sixty of her films will be shown!

There's also an interesting article and some insight about the "Race and Hollywood: Black Images in Film" Tuesday & Thursday airings, 38 films (many of which are TCM premieres) in all, which will presented by Donald Bogle, an award winning author on the subject.

Of course, there's the annual Memorial Day Marathon (40 movies), something I always look forward to, and there's also "The Lost Films of Rudolph Valentino", 7 movies (5 of which are TCM premieres!) on May 21st.

Lastly, May's Guest Programmers (not readily apparent from reading the schedules on the Internet) are Penn & Teller, 4 films on May 22nd. In total, there are 25 TCM premieres on the schedule.