Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Single-Event News

.... the media now bears a certain unacknowledged responsibility.  Above all, single-event news throws our American world—and particularly its dangers—out of whack, while playing into irrational fears and prejudices.  It helps create news of its own in an increasingly unbalanced country.  What it doesn’t offer is perspective.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/winners_and_losers_in_our_new_media_moment_20151216

• Like 1

Both world-wide AND locally.

For instance, locally, we constantly get warned:  "Something in your home you use EVERY DAY could be KILLING you!  Tune in at 11 to find out what it is!"

I always worry I might be DEAD by 11....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

.... the media now bears a certain unacknowledged responsibility.  Above all, single-event news throws our American world—and particularly its dangers—out of whack, while playing into irrational fears and prejudices.  It helps create news of its own in an increasingly unbalanced country.  What it doesn’t offer is perspective.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/winners_and_losers_in_our_new_media_moment_20151216

are people excessively fearful or unduly prejudiced if they want to avoid being decapitated by an isis berserker? :huh:

the thinking infidel wants to know. :D

are people excessively fearful or unduly prejudiced if they want to avoid being decapitated by an isis berserker? :huh:

the thinking infidel wants to know. :D

How many people have been decapitated by ISIS berserkers on US soil? None. You are worried about something that has never happened. It's happened in the Middle East; that's why I stay out of the Middle East. Two whackjobs shot some people in the name of ISIS, but some whackjobs are shooting people for all sorts of reasons every week.

• Like 1

I think the single-event news began -- or became formalized -- on 9/11.  That was certainly a story that warranted continuous coverage (particularly where I live). Other stories became the crawl on the bottom of the screen, for quite some time after that. And it stuck.