Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MrWriteLA

In Other Words...

This is kind of a cute idea:

Describe the plot of a well-known film, but "code" it using references to its actors' other film roles and private lives. The object, of course, is for the guessers to uncode the references sufficiently to identify the movie.

I'll start it off, and we'll do it relay-style, with the winner doing the next one.

"A bogus bandleader convinces Cinderella to change clothes and get a haircut. causing a P.O.W. to fall in love with him--I mean, her--the P.O.W.'s girl-friend (also Cinderella!) to fly into a jealous rage, and an ex-football player to come out."

What's the movie?

And the explanation is Robert Preston played Harold Hill, a conman selling boys' band instruments in Music Man. Cinderella was a role played a long time ago by Julie Andrews for TV. The P.O.W in question is James gardner from The Great Escape. And the ex-footlball player was Alex Karras.

Okay, here goes...

A death camp survivor is convinced by Diane Chamber?s mother to take the place of a former Okie Preacher in order to infiltrate a castle and get the key that unlocks a secret passage. Along the way, while under a spell from Gwendolyn Snoop, who poisons a crimefighter?s butler, he seduces a teapot and duels with a cocaine-using son of a monster maker.

Not very hard, I know, but it will be fun to see if you come up with people and their other roles.

Drat! That was going to be my next 21 Questions movie! Oh, well...

It's "The Court Jester".

Danny Kaye (death camp survivor in the TV movie "Skokie") is convinced by Glynis Johns (Shelley Long's mom on "Cheers") to take the place of John Carradine (preacher in "Grapes of Wrath"), falls under the spell of Snoop Sister Mildred Natwick, poisons Alan Napier (Batman's Alfred on TV), seduces Angela Lansbury (Mrs. Potts in "Beauty and the Beast"), and duels with Basil Rathbone (Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein's son).

Whew!

Oh, is that what Court Jester is about, too? Just kidding. (Thinking of Cheers made me remember a bit where Sam says he was in that play about an evil woman killing people in order to advance her husband. Diane says he means "Macbeth". No, he replies, it was "How Boots Fooled the King." "Is that what Macbeth is about, too?")

Anyway, great job. So back to you.

Okay, this is real easy as far as the movie goes. It's identifying the references that's the chore...

A circus owner is involved in a fatal car accident witnessed by (among others) the owner of an enormous cemetary, a moon-swinging saloon singer, the owner of the Golden Gate Bridge, and Baby Face Nelson. They race to locate money the circus owner spoke of before dying, and along the way (among many others) they encounter a very bad, very stoned Broadway actor, the manservant of a cartoonist, a raincoat-wearing detective, and Mr. Magoo. They are pursued by Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, who wants the money for himself.

Well, let's see, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. And we have Jimmy Durante from Jumbo, Jonathan Winters from The Loved One, Mickey Rooney ad Baby Face Nelson, Dick Shawn as LSD from The Producers, Terry Thomas from How to Murder Your Wife, Peter Falk as Columbo, and Jim Backus. Spencer Tracy pursues. the Ethel Merman as a moon-singer has got me, but it probably dates back to her early Broadway days. I am guessing Phil Silvers as the guy who owns the bridge and will be happy to sell it you.

Wrong on Silvers and the Merm, right on everyone else.

See if you can get the last two before moving on.

Nope.

Hints: The Golden Gate bridge owner is in a Neil Simon movie, and the moon-swinger sings a song about... well, the advisability of not swinging.

Dorothy Provine, in "The Great Race."

You got all the others, though, so the ball's back in your court.

A little easier this time, but still tricky in two places.

It?s summertime and Billy Flynn and his wife Sheila are with their daughter Jeanie at a resort run by a man on the run from the mob. Jeanie gets caught up in the dreams and drama of some of the staff, including Tony Manero?s girlfriend, and falls in love with Sam Wheat. She even takes part in a pitiful magic act with Officer Don.