Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MrWriteLA

In Other Words...

Dirty Dancing.

Jerry Orbach (Billy in "Chicago" on B'way), Kelly Bishop (Sheila in "A Chorus Line" on B'way), and Jennifer Grey (Jeanie in "Ferris Bueller") vacation at the resort of Jack Weston (on the lam in the wonderful "The Ritz.") where Grey falls in love with Patrick Swayze (Sam Wheat in "Ghost"). The staff includes Cynthia Rhodes (John Travolta's main squeeze in "Staying Alive") and the magic act is with Wayne Knight (Officer Don on "3rd Rock from the Sun").

I'm assuming I was right on that last one (kinda hard to be wrong), so without waiting for filmlover's acknowledgement, I'm going to go ahead and post my next:

Prof. Moriarty invites Sherlock Holmes to his country manor to enlist his aid in a clever criminal scheme. Holmes is distrustful but ultimately accepts, only to find it's a trap: Moriarty shoots him! Holmes escapes death, and--returning in disguise as a rural police inspector--bests Moriarty at his own game. Moriarty shoots him again--successfully this time--but Holmes dies laughing, hearing the sirens of the police as they arrive to arrest Moriarty for murder.

Yes, you were correct.

And the new one is "Sleuth". Michael Caine was Holmes in Without A Clue and Laurence Olivier was Moriarty in "The Seven Per Cent Solution".

Correct!

(I became enamored of the fact that you could re-tell "Sleuth" as a Sherlock Holmes story and have it make sense as such.)

This is cool but I couldn't guess correctly I never could do word games or puzzles. I read your posts and it reminds me of the word play ?s on Jeopardy and I never get those. It use to make me sick when Ken Jennings just zipped through those ?s during his run on Jeopardy.

Hi, sorry, been trying to post since last night but I think AOL has some block that carries me right back to the main Forum board whenever I hit "Post Message". I had to wait until I came in here to my work place.

Anyway, your synopsis really did read as a Holmes story, lol.

New one:

Moss leaves his home in Brooklyn and get his own apartment in Manhattan in the 1950s. Along with his girlfriend, Audrey, he shares the ambitions of other artistic types in the neighborhood, including a POW, a pimp, a would-be golf champion, an angry ghost, and a disco owner. Before landing an acting gig, he works for a crossdresser and has to put up with his slutty waitress mother. However, patrolman Willi Cicci is unimpressed by his Brando imitation.

This film was a starting point for many popular actors.

This one I got right away, despite its present undeserved relative obsurity:

"Next Stop Greenwich Village"

but the only characters I could identify are:

Lenny Baker (Moss in "Paper Chase")

Ellen Greene (Audrey in "Little Shop...")

Christopher Walken (POW in "The Deer Hunter")

Antonio Fargas (pimp in "I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka")

Lou Jacobi (crossdresser in "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex...")

Shelley Winters (slutty waitress in "A Double Life")

Joe Spinell (Willie Cicci in "The Godfather")

So who were the angry ghost, golfer, and disco owner?

The would-be golf champion had a fixation on a certain groundhog.

The angry ghost taught Sam Wheat.

The disco owner hosted the Commodores that night.

And you got the right actor but wrong credit for the pimp (at least, the credit I was thinking of).

Gotcha. The golfer's Bill Murray ("Caddyshack"), the ghost is the late, weird Vincent Schiavelli ("Ghost"), and the disco owner is Jeff Goldblum ("Thank God It's Friday"). And the Fargas pimp is the one in "Cleopatra Jones."

The problem is that he played a whole buncha pimps. :-)

I guess the one you're thinking of, then, is Huggy Bear on the Starsky and Hutch TV show.

Okay.

A "special ed" teacher flies to an inhospitable foreign land, where she's joined by a college student in drag, her future daughter's father-in-law, and a compulsive potato chip eater. She visits Louis XIII and runs afoul of Hester Frump, after which Myrna Loy tells her where she can go.

(By the way, you might want to take a look at the one I posted on my "My Favorite Trivia" thread as well.)

I am going to have to throw this open to everyone because I have to go off the boards for a few hours. Kinda figure that maybe I should give my employers some work while I am here. I'll be back later.

I know what you mean. (I'm feeling a little guilty myself. ;-) )

I'll repeat it for the benefit of anyone else who'd like to try:

A "special ed" teacher flies to an inhospitable foreign land, where she's joined by a student in drag, her future daughter's father-in-law, and a compulsive potato chip eater. She visits Louis XIII and runs afoul of Hester Frump, after which Myrna Loy tells her where she can go.

What's the movie?

HINT: It's a musical.

If you think you know, post the title first and explain your deductions in a subsequent post. That way it'll be easier to establish the winner. (The explanations can take a while to type.)

Judy Garland is the special ed teacher (A Child is Waiting)

Ray Bolger is the College Student in Drag (Where's Charley)

Jack Haley is her future daughter's (Liza Minelli's) father-in-law

Bert Lahr is the compulsive potato chip eater

Myrna Loy is a reference to the actresses' portrayal of Billie Burke in The Great Ziegfeld

> Louis XIII must be Frank Morgan

> Hester Frump must be Margaret Hamilton

Yes, in "The 3 Musketeers" and TV's Addams Family, respectively.

Bravo, Duffylab!

Care to try to try your hand at one?

OK, Here goes:

Ben Stone, who is married to the sister of one of Steve Douglas's daughters-in-law, befriends the ailing Leonard Lowe, whose main squeeze is Merleen Eldridge. Ben and Leonard work under the supervision of Cosmo Castorini.

Have fun!