Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Other Words...

Since it's been two weeks with nary a nibble on this one, I'll rephrase it:

Alcoholic beachcomber, engaged to a burlesque queen, dumps her for une folle, with the enthusiastic approval of the sister of an escaped con's wife, the director of a sanitorium, and a scientist whose brain has been taken over.

> Since it's been two weeks with nary a nibble on this

> one, I'll rephrase it:

>

> Alcoholic beachcomber, engaged to a burlesque

> queen, dumps her for une folle, with the

> enthusiastic approval of the sister of an escaped

> con's wife, the director of a sanitorium, and a

> scientist who's brain has been taken over.

I had an inkling with the last round of clues, but this version makes it clearer. However, I don't think I've got it all yet:

HOLIDAY

Cary Grant - "Father Goose" ("Male War Bride" in your first version)

Doris Nolan - "Follies Girl" [?] (or the cynical maid in many films?)

Katharine Hepburn - "Madwoman of Chaillot" ("Long Day's Journey" in first)

Binnie Barnes - ??? {'escaped con's wife/cynical maid') ??

Edw. Everett Horton - "Arsenic and Old Lace" [sanitorium director] ?

Lew Ayres - "Donovan's Brain"

If this jogs someone else's memory, maybe they can fill in the ????

So far, so spot-on... except for Binnie Barnes, which is incorrect.

The cynical maid (1st clue) had a secret crush on the title character of that movie, and the second clue stipulates she's the sister of the con's wife. You could also describe her in that movie as "sister of a woman on the lam."

Oh, and FYI...

Edward Everett Horton was the tobacco company president in "Cold Turkey," Doris Nolan was a woman with a meal-ticket in "The Romantic Englishwoman," and Lew Ayres was the veep in "Advise & Consent."

I wonder if anyone's around, in light of the fact that the last hurrah of the summer is coming up. NYC is getting emptier by the minute, as always happens at this time of year.

I whipped this one up during lunch, and it's probably much too easy.

An escaped convict gives money to a mountain climber to take a very long walk on the wild side. He's given a farewell dinner by a librarian, and is accompanied on his walk by a one-man fan club. After many ups and downs they make presumptions about a man up a tree, once lost, now found.

Well, this is such a nice puzzle, it is a shame for it to sit here and gather dust, so I?ll offer the weak guess I?ve been nursing.

I think this is I?m No Angel (1936), with Mae West and Cary Grant, but I can?t match up the werewolf reference. Here?s my best guess so far:

?A fatherly werewolf is all at sea? Edward Arnold was in Marooned (1916), but I don't think he fits the werewolf.

?When Counsel for the Pros.? Is this Gregory Ratoff? He was Max Fabian in All About Eve. Was that ?counsel for the pros?? I don?t guess so. He was also Mae West?s lawyer in I?m No Angel. Is it Edward Arnold? He was a lawyer in Ziegfeld Follies (1946).

?belittles Bridey-to-Be (and she from a circus family!).? Gertrude Michael, the fianc?e in I?m No Angel, was later to appear in Star of the Circus (1938)

?The kid who helps him turns out to be Seen through all too easily.? Cary Grant was a ghost in Topper (1937).

Somebody help me with the fatherly werewolf at sea and I'll split the prize money with you!

I'm not a Poet like you MrWriteLA, but here goes.

An elevated US General uses and abuses an aloof Jewish princess to further his selfish ambitions. An unusual prison escapee and an army surgeon, in turn, use him. A creative doctor finally brings him down to earth. A Roman orator tells it like it is.

Regards

Incredibly wrong gwtwbooklover.

You are looking for Six Actors/Movies.

One movie featuring all the actors.

One movie from the 1950's

Two movies from the 1960's

Four movies from the 1970's

Clue #1 - 82nd Airborne.

Now shape-up, all of you.

Regards