Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

christmas TV fun

NipkowDisc

well, here we are less than a week to christmas and as usual there be nothin' good on TV, just the usual cr ap.
I grabbed eighteen classic side-splitting episodes of the beverly hillbillies offa youtube and burned two DVDs so there's some self-provided fare for me to laugh at and in a couple of weeks (a fortnight if you're british) I'll start lookin' for the force awakens to grab. I hope alotta millennials are good at sneakin' their cams in and I hope somebody can get a good recording. :D

:o

"X" mas?

Looks like you surrendered AND upturned your haunches in the "war on Christmas", don't it?   B)

Sepiatone

"X" represents the Greek letter "CHI" which is short for the Greek word meaning Christ, so is not used offensively when written and has been used by religious scholars for over a thousand years. The nuns taught us this in second grade to show that using it was not a pejorative issue.

"X" represents the Greek letter "CHI" which is short for the Greek word meaning Christ, so is not used offensively when written and has been used by religious scholars for over a thousand years. The nuns taught us this in second grade to show that using it was not a pejorative issue.

That's interesting to know.  I'll look into it further before I fire it off at some other s c h m u c k who rails against the ill percieved "war" on Christmas( as if the corporate goading of people into the desire and pursuit of unbridled avarice wasn't "war" enough on Christmas!) 

So, how does that affect the remembered image of the vocal group THE CHI-LITES?  or, are you inferring the BETHLEHEM is the ONLY true CHI-TOWN?  :D

Sepiatone

That's interesting to know.  I'll look into it further before I fire it off at some other s c h m u c k who rails against the ill percieved "war" on Christmas( as if the corporate goading of people into the desire and pursuit of unbridled avarice wasn't "war" enough on Christmas!) 

So, how does that affect the remembered image of the vocal group THE CHI-LITES?  or, are you inferring the BETHLEHEM is the ONLY true CHI-TOWN?  :D

Sepiatone

my sister had a 45 rpm disc of the chi-lites 40 years ago and I found their sound quite astounding.

A television movie  "Yes Virginia" (2009) I recorded a few years ago and watched it again.  It's based on an editorial in The Sun printed  September 21, 1897.

Book_amazon.jpg

Here is the article by Francis Church.

YesVirginia2.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun, it's so." Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O'Hanlon

115 West Ninety Fifth Street

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence.

We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! He lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

• Like 1

Where have you been?  I've seen the Xmas abbreviation far back as i can remember.

Yeah, me too.

But recall(since your memory is so good)  that it was the "Xmas" abbreviation that was the first to be attacked by religious zealots who felt it was disrespectful to the true meaning of the day.  "Calling it Xmas takes the Christ out of it.  And people will further lose why the day is so important!"  was one argument I recall hearing.  But, NObody brought up the "X"-"Chi" information  mentioned.  Some argued callig it "Xmas" was the same as saying, for instance, "X amount of dollars." which doesn't refer to any specific amount, and that "Xmas" also makes no specific referrence to anything or anybody.

I also remember my best friend when my age was still in single digits, got a royal "whippin' "  from his heavily devoted Catholic parents for making a Christmas card for a school project that had "Xmas" on it.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yeah, me too.

But recall(since your memory is so good)  that it was the "Xmas" abbreviation that was the first to be attacked by religious zealots who felt it was disrespectful to the true meaning of the day.  "Calling it Xmas takes the Christ out of it.  And people will further lose why the day is so important!"  was one argument I recall hearing.  But, NObody brought up the "X"-"Chi" information  mentioned.  Some argued callig it "Xmas" was the same as saying, for instance, "X amount of dollars." which doesn't refer to any specific amount, and that "Xmas" also makes no specific referrence to anything or anybody.

I also remember my best friend when my age was still in single digits, got a royal "whippin' "  from his heavily devoted Catholic parents for making a Christmas card for a school project that had "Xmas" on it.

Sepiatone

Those zealots needs to get a life (or maybe a job), talk about a trivial argument (from them).  I have never thought it as disrespectful but that's a moot point since Christmas is more secular than religious.  By the way, no one knows the exact day or MONTH of his birth which make their arguments pointless.  Chalk up another myth about Christ being born on December 25, 33BC (or however they do that  1BC to 1AD thing) :unsure:

I'm not trying to start some kind of theological debate.  Most "devout" Christians realize that the choice of December 25th being the day chosen to celebrate the birth of their saviour is largely arbitrary, and the reason for it  long blown away in the dust.

But, as that date IS chosen for the recognition, I'd be loath to  say Christmas is a totally secular observance, as the many Christian denominations also give special significance to Dec. 25th and importance, as their faith implies. 

Being more agnostic than not, and never having been a regular "church goer", I recognize the day more out of "tradition" than spiritual observance, since as Americans, like it or not, we're ALL "Christians by association".  Unless of course, you happen to be Jewish, but all I mean is that the largest percentage of Americans seemed to have long considered this country to be a "Christian" country(especially THESE days), whether or not church attendance is is a perpetual practice, or regardless if there's any association with any denomination.  So it stands to reason that Christmas in this country has long been recognized as the day Americans, collectively, celebrate as the birth of Jesus Christ.   And I have NO problem with that. You know....being AMERICAN and all and respecting their right to do so and such....

Sepiatone

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun, it's so." Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O'Hanlon

115 West Ninety Fifth Street

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence.

We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! He lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

My local newspaper runs this column every year.

Saw something on TV the other day about the Chi and X thing, so it is true.  I think Xmas became popular in the 50's when businesses started using it in signs because it took less space than Christmas.  But nobody knew the historical connection to Chi and X being appropriate for Christ.

NBC ran "It's A Wonderful Life" last night.  About a week ago, so did USA channel.  I thought NBC only had the broadcast rights? (the reason I've read here why TCM don't show it)

Because the USA Channel is owned by the Comcast Corporation, and which has also owned the NBC Network since 2011, ham. And thus with the parent company's current ownership of the rights to this film, there would be no legal conflict in both of these channels presenting it.

• Like 1

Because the USA Channel is owned by the Comcast Corporation, and which has also owned the NBC Network since 2011, ham. And thus with the parent company's current ownership of the rights to this film, there would be no legal conflict in both of these channels presenting it.

Thanks, I didn't know that.  :)

Saw something on TV the other day about the Chi and X thing, so it is true.  I think Xmas became popular in the 50's when businesses started using it in signs because it took less space than Christmas.  But nobody knew the historical connection to Chi and X being appropriate for Christ.

Yeah......saw it on TV, so it must be true, eh?  I'll remember that next time I watch BEWITCHED!  :D

But somehow, I DON'T think IT has much, if anything,  to do with WHY "Xmas"  was started being used in this country.  I think the "X-Christ" thing is purely coincidental. 

I give more credence to the notion of the "saving space" factor, and possibly replacing "Christ" with  "X" in order to assuage any guilt in turning what's supposed  to be one of the holiest of Christian observances into a retail free-for-all.

Sepiatone