Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Santa vs. Satan

CaveGirl

Who do you enjoy more as the lead character in a film and be specific with a film reference to back up your point.

I'm gonna go with Satan [even though I don't believe he/she/it exists] since he has a lot better music where he lives due to the clientele who end up there, and he often looks like Walter Huston, which is a lot better than looking like Tim Allen [even sans dentures].

I forgot to mention that Satan's Helpers in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" are much more fun to watch than the toymaker elves with Santa at the North Pole.

Your turn.

• Like 2

Who do you enjoy more as the lead character in a film and be specific with a film reference to back up your point.

I'm gonna go with Satan [even though I don't believe he/she/it exists] since he has a lot better music where he lives due to the clientele who end up there, and he often looks like Walter Huston, which is a lot better than looking like Tim Allen [even sans dentures].

I forgot to mention that Satan's Helpers in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" are much more fun to watch than the toymaker elves with Santa at the North Pole.

Your turn.

a female satan? gals, stop tryin' to cut in on our action. we guys are the big baddies...and proud of it! :lol:

a female satan? gals, stop tryin' to cut in on our action. we guys are the big baddies...and proud of it! :lol:

Move over, darling there is enough room for one more in that hexagram of yours in the TCM Lounge.

Don't hog it, Nip or I will make a Christmas voodoo doll of you, wherein you look like Bob Cratchett and you will not be getting any plum pudding this year in your stocking!

Satan all the way for me. You've already mentioned my fave screen Satan, Walter Huston. But I also loved Vincent Price in the camp classic THE STORY OF MANKIND, or more recently Al Pacino in the camp classic THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. Billy Crystal was an unexpected Satan in Woody Allen's DECONSTRUCTING HARRY. Emil Jannings was a flamboyant Satan in the great, silent FAUST. And Jack Nicholson was born to play Satan, ala WITCHES OF EASTWICK. Robert DeNiro played Satan as Scorsese in ANGEL HEART. And Donald Pleasance was fun skulking around as Satan in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.

• Like 1

Move over, darling there is enough room for one more in that hexagram of yours in the TCM Lounge.

Don't hog it, Nip or I will make a Christmas voodoo doll of you, wherein you look like Bob Cratchett and you will not be getting any plum pudding this year in your stocking!

(gulp) yes, ma'am. :o

Well since Evil is usually more fascinating on screen that Good, your question really puts poor Santa at a bit of a disadvantage in this poll, I suspect, CaveGirl.

On the other hand, if you had asked us with whom we would rather spend Christmas Eve sharing milk and cookies, I rather suspect the jolly old elf might have had a better chance of getting a few more votes.

57915188-730f-4cd0-b3cf-50a5628351b7_zps

Looks like a milk and cookies guy to me.

• Like 1

Sort of a GOD-DOG sorta thing, isn't it?

Anyway, I also liked REX INGRAM as Lucifer in CABIN IN THE SKY.

And I also long thought Donald Pleasance showing up as Satan every so often in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD was quite cleverly done.

I don't know about hanging out with such a personage though.  But also...

Outside of THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, I'm not all that aware of Walter Huston ever playing Satan(Scratch) in any other movie.  At least enough to give me, or anyone else the impression that Satan "often" looks like Walter Huston.

Also, a specific movie genre might generate likes/dislikes of a particular personage over another.  For example:

Western lovers might choose DOC HOLIDAY, JESSE JAMES or WYATT EARP, as Satan, personified by an actor, rarely(if ever) shows up in a western movie.

Noir lovers might pick SAM SPADE or PHILLIP MARLOWE or go back a bit and choose NICK CHARLES.

And, I'm assuming you mean "lead character" as one particular character who made an appearance in more than one movie.  LIKE Satan.  And the others mentioned in the other genres. 

Sepiatone

But I also loved Vincent Price in the camp classic THE STORY OF MANKIND, or more recently Al Pacino in the camp classic THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. Billy Crystal was an unexpected Satan in Woody Allen's DECONSTRUCTING HARRY. Emil Jannings was a flamboyant Satan in the great, silent FAUST. And Jack Nicholson was born to play Satan, ala WITCHES OF EASTWICK. Robert DeNiro played Satan as Scorsese in ANGEL HEART.

You have mentioned many of my favorites! They are all quite wonderful.

I can add only: Claude Rains in: Angel on My Shoulder (1946) and: Ray Milland in: Alias Nick Beal (1949).

• Like 2

a female satan? gals, stop tryin' to cut in on our action. we guys are the big baddies...and proud of it! 

I am very sorry to have to say that I agree with you on this one point this one time. The Bible is very clear on this matter as it represents: Satan as: one-eyed snake. 

This is a really hard choice, deciding who's more interesting - the guy who supplies the world with sex, temptation, perversion, violence, and all manner of deviousness and intrigue  - or a guy who lives far away making toys for children.

Which one draws more attention.......hmmm, which one.......which one.......this is hard........

• Like 2

She has the hips of a 12 year old boy. That is one skinny *****.

U-u-u-h-h-h-h------------

I'd have just said she was skinny.  Making a comparison to "the hips of a 12 year old boy"  sounds kinda creepy.  In an SVU sorta way, that is...

Sepiatone

Truth be told, that Mexican Santa Claus movie is the first of any movie at all that I have a memory of watching in a theater.  My mother took my friends and me to see it when I was about 4 or 5 years old -- 1961 or '62 I guess. 

And for about 50 years after that I always had a memory of seeing a movie with Santa in a tree and the Devil next to a fireplace, but never knowing that it really happened.  Then I saw the movie on TCM a few years ago, and I realized that this was the one I went to so very long ago.  And I'm relieved to say that this realization finally put to an end all those sleepless nights trying to recall that suppressed cinema memory.  

Brian 

• Like 1