Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flint, MI & poisoned water?

mr6666

• 2 weeks later...

how could it happen with obama and his epa on the job? :huh:

"how could you let it happen?!!!" -johnny cobb (james stewart), firecreek

:)

Because the right has been selling a myth for decades that there are too many regulations or they are being enforced too harshly.

Don't you see that your post implies the Feds should do MORE when it comes to regulations.     Trump isn't happy with you right now.  :P

• Like 1

The city fathers, trying to save a buck.

Sepiatone

Wrong.  The "city fathers" refers to the mayor and city council.  These people were essentially removed from power by Rick Snyder, the Republican governor, and he appointed a "crisis manager."  He also appointed the directors of the health agencies that supervised how the water system operated.

The crisis manager, governor and state agency heads all determined to change the water system to save a couple of hundred dollars per day.  I assume all are Republicans since the governor appointed them.

The mayor and council objected to the plan.

• Like 1

Because the right has been selling a myth for decades that there are too many regulations or they are being enforced too harshly.

Don't you see that your post implies the Feds should do MORE when it comes to regulations.     Trump isn't happy with you right now.  :P

yeah, but the 'more' the feds oughta do is come up with fair intelligently thought out regulations that ARE enforced.

the problem with liberal federacracies is they create too many regulations and fail to enforce the ones that actually would make a difference.

liberals refuse to learn that bureaucracy just for the sake of bureaucracy is stupid. :)

Wrong.  The "city fathers" refers to the mayor and city council.  These people were essentially removed from power by Rick Snyder, the Republican governor, and he appointed a "crisis manager."  He also appointed the directors of the health agencies that supervised how the water system operated.

The crisis manager, governor and state agency heads all determined to change the water system to save a couple of hundred dollars per day.  I assume all are Republicans since the governor appointed them.

Just how many city and town governments in Michigan have been declared  in "crisis"  and essentially been taken over by this current clown Republican governor and his appointed "managers"?  I can't believe that any state has laws that permit such actions to be taken.  In other words the people living in that city/town can't elect their own officials to run their affairs.   The very actions that some people accuse the federal government of doing is apparently a-ok on the state level.  

• Like 1

Just how many city and town governments in Michigan have been declared  in "crisis"  and essentially been taken over by this current clown Republican governor and his appointed "managers"?  I can't believe that any state has laws that permit such actions to be taken.  In other words the people living in that city/town can't elect their own officials to run their affairs.   The very actions that some people accuse the federal government of doing is apparently a-ok on the state level.  

Under US law, all power within a state belongs to the state.  The state legislatures can establish cities, counties, districts, etc.  They can also eliminate them.  State governments can regulate what city, county, school distirct and other governments do or don't do.  

Usually there is going to be a state law passed giving the state power to take over a local government.  In S.C., the state Dept of Education can take over a failing school district under certain conditions and "manage" it.  Has happened once in past 20 years.

Now there's a question as to when Snyder was informed of the problem with the water, and when he got around to trying to respond to the information.  It's currently turning into a "blame game", and Flint residents aren't in the mood now for ANY games.

Switching to Detroit water hasn't had yet any positive results inasmuch as there's now some sort of waiting period for the new water source to flush out all the imprities and debris that was caused from the bad water in the first place to be flushed out. They now have to factor in PIPE CORROSION caused by the bad water.  Meantime, National Guard troops are inadequate, and so is the amount of fresh bottled water being brought slowly into the city.  The water was so terrible that boiling it didn't even help.

Sepiatone

"President Obama has declared a federal state of emergency in Michigan that will allow FEMA and other agencies to provide aid and assistance to the people of Flint who were poisoned by their own Republican governor."

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/01/16/obama-declares-federal-emergency-michigan-due-lead-contaminated-water.html

"Michigan’s Republican Governor, Rick Snyder has perpetrated the biggest mass poisoning in recent history through his willful and knowing negligence. By trying to save a couple dollars and patch the holes in the state budget that he dug when he recklessly gave away billions in tax credits to multinational corporations, his administration purposefully switched the water supply in the city of Flint from the Detroit water system to the heavily polluted Flint River but refused to pay the $100 a day that it would take to purify the water and make it safe to drink.

Instead, he forced the people to pay for water that has resulted in an epidemic of lead poisoning..."

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/bernie-sanders-gov-snyder-must-resign-there-is-no-excuse-for-poisoning-children/

• Like 1

"On Tuesday, a class-action lawsuit was launched against the state of Michigan and Snyder for allegedly ignoring Flint's water crisis since it began in April 2014.

The plaintiffs, including residents who have suffered severe illnesses from consuming the toxic water, are also suing Flint's administration as well as other local officials.

The suit accuses the parties of "breaching the contractual obligation" to supply about 30,000 households with potable water.

It also says that residents are still being billed for receiving the contaminated water."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/michigan-state-sued-flint-toxic-water-disaster-160115131132739.html

There is are water filters that can solve most of the drinking water woes, one is  "Berkey Water Filter".  Can remove heavy metals i.e. lead.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAt_K0BRCzjtv92_HGoR0SJAA9QNn_66CCl-Np6vsgeYRKfMPOreA6fskBHI2sIZXNr0oi3BoCxrrw_wcB

Berkey-water-filter.jpg

Count my blessings in that I live midway upstream next to a river tributary with no industry of any type upstream.  One of the few places in the U.S. that only requires simple water treatment (sediment and organisms).

They were supposed to, along with bottled water, also supply filters to residents.

But supplies of them fell short.  I'm not sure if more became available, but the recent federal emergency assistance might help with that.

Snyder was hoping for Obama to declare Flint a disaster area, which would more or less get him off the hook.  I don't know all the particulars, but it's my understanding that NATURAL acts hve to be an underlying cause of the desperate situation befor it can be classified a "disaster area", like New Orleans after Katrina, or maybe if Flint's water got contaminated due to a tornado destroyed a waste treatment plant or something of tht nature.  And "incompetence of office" isn't really a natural act.  Or ACT OF GOD if you will.

Sepiatone

Snyder was hoping for Obama to declare Flint a disaster area, which would more or less get him off the hook.  I don't know all the particulars, but it's my understanding that NATURAL acts hve to be an underlying cause of the desperate situation befor it can be classified a "disaster area", like New Orleans after Katrina, or maybe if Flint's water got contaminated due to a tornado destroyed a waste treatment plant or something of tht nature.  And "incompetence of office" isn't really a natural act.  Or ACT OF GOD if you will.

-Sepiatone

--------------------------------------------------------

Obama To Gov Snyder: Water Poisoning Is No “Natural Disaster,” You Knew About It A Year Ago

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/obama-to-gov-snyder-water-poisoning-is-no-natural-disaster-you-knew-about-it-a-year-ago/

"...the federal government, which designated the area as a “federal emergency” but refused to designate it a “disaster area,” as it “does not meet the legal definition of a ‘major disaster’” under federal law. “The incident was not the result of a natural catastrophe, nor was it created by a fire, flood or explosion” stated FEMA Administrator W. Craig Fugate. FEMA has thus rejected Snyder’s demand for $96 million in emergency funds, allotting them $5 million in emergency funds and passing the onus for more on to Congress."

"Detroit teachers have been staging sickouts — the organized but unauthorized taking of sick days — to draw attention to the district's financial straits and crumbling buildings and to express their opposition to Gov. Rick Snyder's public education policies."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teacher-sickout-shuts-down-almost-all-detroit-schools-n500316

-Sepiatone

--------------------------------------------------------

Obama To Gov Snyder: Water Poisoning Is No “Natural Disaster,” You Knew About It A Year Ago

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/obama-to-gov-snyder-water-poisoning-is-no-natural-disaster-you-knew-about-it-a-year-ago/

"...the federal government, which designated the area as a “federal emergency” but refused to designate it a “disaster area,” as it “does not meet the legal definition of a ‘major disaster’” under federal law. “The incident was not the result of a natural catastrophe, nor was it created by a fire, flood or explosion” stated FEMA Administrator W. Craig Fugate. FEMA has thus rejected Snyder’s demand for $96 million in emergency funds, allotting them $5 million in emergency funds and passing the onus for more on to Congress."

Wow! Gotta say I'm "shocked...SHOCKED"(as Claude would say) that a REPUBLICAN of all people would think that it would somehow be the government's(and especially the, oh my gosh, FEDERAL government's) responsibility to take such local matters in hand?!!!

(...of course I suppose we'll now hear from some folks around here positing the thought that Snyder is really one of their dreaded little "RINO"s and attempt to excuse this whole thing away by using THAT old excuse...you know, kind'a like that idiot Nevadan cattle man who "hates the Feds" until it helps said idiot out with a freakin' government loan)

Flint, Michigan's water supply was controlled by Democrats, they were the ones who wanted to switch to the polluted river to save money. This is the way these things go, blame it on others instead of those responsible. Meanwhile you don't hear a peep about the gas leak disaster in California because they have only Democrats in charge all the way to the top.

NPR covered this today. Nasty stuff - and the polyticians knew of the lead problem the whole time.

Seems a lone mother took it upon herself to have her water tested and discovered the problem. Once lead has been absorbed into a childs (or anyone's) system, it cannot be removed. What damage is done is irreversible - permanent.. for life. Affected children are stripped of everything they could have been had they not been poisoned. The amount of damage depends on many factors, such as diet and general health at the onset of poisoning.

And.. now that the tainted water has been piped through the previously untainted system, that system is now tainted with lead. Now everybody must disconnect from all water supply systems. The whole freakin' place has to go on bottled water.

A severe betrayal of trust is involved here.

• Like 3