Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cannot record movies

BruceHH

I wish the people at TCM would allow recording of the broadcast movies. I want to watch many of the films that are shown late at night or when I am at work, and in the past I recorded them for later viewing. That is no longer allowed. I wish the people in charge would change that to allow recording for later viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the boards, Bruce.

If you get TCM on Sling, many of the day's titles go immediately on-demand...and usually you have a week to watch them. 

Or if you still have cable, you can always invest in a DVR.

I think taking away our ability to copy films on our DVRs so that we can watch them after work or on the weekend is just a part of how the very apparent "corporatization" of TCM is ruining the channel. We went through this same thing with Bob and Nick on American Movie Classics some 20 years ago, when the very things that got people to watch the channel in its infancy were taken away once the company guys took over. From the wine club to the very expensive options for the cruise, festival and film tours that price those of us who just enjoy old films out of the market as TCM is defining it, to the move away from many older films and towards "classic films from the 1980s and 1990s".....? Much of the history of old films, including things that reflect the culture of the early times, are no longer shown in favor of "a version" or "the version" that became most popular. As but one example, we get to see Bachelor Mother (1939) several times a year, but Bachelor Mother (1933) never makes it out of the vault anymore. Similar examples abound.

I see much the same thing in the inattention" given to the database. For anyone with a hobby in old films, a few minutes going though the database reveals dozens of errors - from spelling to inaccurate content. To a film buff, the database is an important part of the TCM experience. If this is now all about expensive wine, cruises and Blue Ray DVDs, then like the earth, I guess the rich will inherit my viewership.

There are many ways to access old films these days, and it appears TCM is going to drive us away from its broadcasts in search of new ways to see old films - those we know and love and those we've never seen.

I think taking away our ability to copy films on our DVRs so that we can watch them after work or on the weekend is just a part of how the very apparent "corporatization" of TCM is ruining the channel. We went through this same thing with Bob and Nick on American Movie Classics some 20 years ago, when the very things that got people to watch the channel in its infancy were taken away once the company guys took over. From the wine club to the very expensive options for the cruise, festival and film tours that price those of us who just enjoy old films out of the market as TCM is defining it, to the move away from many older films and towards "classic films from the 1980s and 1990s".....? Much of the history of old films, including things that reflect the culture of the early times, are no longer shown in favor of "a version" or "the version" that became most popular. As but one example, we get to see Bachelor Mother (1939) several times a year, but Bachelor Mother (1933) never makes it out of the vault anymore. Similar examples abound.

I see much the same thing in the inattention" given to the database. For anyone with a hobby in old films, a few minutes going though the database reveals dozens of errors - from spelling to inaccurate content. To a film buff, the database is an important part of the TCM experience. If this is now all about expensive wine, cruises and Blue Ray DVDs, then like the earth, I guess the rich will inherit my viewership.

There are many ways to access old films these days, and it appears TCM is going to drive us away from its broadcasts in search of new ways to see old films - those we know and love and those we've never seen.

Is it really as terrible as all that? I agree that they are shooting for a more upscale market but that doesn't have to prevent someone with less money from still enjoying classic film.

Folks can keep providing constructive feedback and hope TCM will do the right thing and listen.

• 1 month later...

TCM,

Instead of not allowing us to record movies for free any longer, can you come up with a system where we can record movies for a small fee of $1.99 or $2.99, similar to purchasing music from the Apple Store?  I am sure this would be satisfactory to many TCM viewers who have been recording films from TCM in the past, as well as creating a new revenue stream for TCM.

Please consider this.

Thank you.

TCM,

Instead of not allowing us to record movies for free any longer, can you come up with a system where we can record movies for a small fee of $1.99 or $2.99, similar to purchasing music from the Apple Store?  I am sure this would be satisfactory to many TCM viewers who have been recording films from TCM in the past, as well as creating a new revenue stream for TCM.

Please consider this.

Thank you.

Oh I hope not.  That ruins the purpose of a PVR completely for me.  Unless you are at home and not asleep ever.  All you have to do  instead is get access to DVDs and play them on your DVD player, or Blue Ray etc.  I already pay Optic TV for the right to see TCM, Silver Screen Classics channel), etc.

• 2 months later...

I agree that it appears TCM is going the way of merchandising the channel and its library.  Since we can no longer dvd record films on TCM, I have left the channel many times to check out what is playing on MOVIES channel, which airs a lot of old movies as well, or Retro TV.  The loyal viewers who have been the bread and butter that helped build TCM the last 22 years are not that important anymore I guess.  I am sort of shocked at what has happened to this channel in the last 6-8 months!  And where the heck has Robert Osborne been in the last month - it's all Ben Mankiewicz and guest programmers, etc.  Thank goodness I was dvd recording lots of movies the last 20 yrs, so I can watch a lot of my favorites whenever I want.  If TCM ever gets most of the Paramount library in their hands then I'll have to figure out some other way...but the bottom line of all this is that TCM will start losing people if it stops doing what it did best, airing the obscure movies that are not available anywhere!  The only thing you can do is DVR it, and then erase it, cuz there's only so much space on the hard drive of a DVR - and mine is close to its limit, again!

Please Please Please TCM - let us record movies again!

Thanks for reading and hopefully hearing the message here.

Archived