Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NO DVD ING OF OLD FILMS!!!

aholden965

IT LOOKS AS IF TCM IS DVDING MANY OLD FILMS, EVEN CLASSICS LIKE "CASABLANCA" AND MANY OTHERS. I THINK THIS IS A HORRIBLE VIOLATION OF WHAT TCM SHOULD BE ABOUT. TCM SHOULD BE ABOUT FILM, AND NOT ABOUT AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MEDIUM THAT RUINS OLD FILMS VISUALLY. WE STOPPED COLORIZATION OF FILMS, AND I DO NOT THINK THIS IS ANY DIFFERENT! THE FILMS SEEM CLINICAL PARODIES OF THEMSELVES. THE ANTIQUARIAN FEELING IS LOST. AS A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER, I CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE AND I HOPE OTHERS FEEL LIKE I DO!! FILMS SHOULD BE SHOWN EXACTLY LIKE THEY WERE SHOWN ON TCM JUST A FEW YEARS AGO!! STOP THE DESTRUCTION OF OUR HERITAGE!!

I respectfully disagree. Digitizing is only improving on the quality of movie and sound. Unlike Technicolor, it is not altering the movie. If the movie is being played on TCM, that means it's not on Film, so either way, we do not get to view the movie as it would look on film anyway.

I do understand what you mean, but I don't think it applies to a Television station such as TCM. If a Theater showing classics would have done that, it's understandable. I perfer Film for Classics at the Theaters.

Alot of the stuff that TCM and other television stations air is either on videotape, or sent via satellite to the stations and they tape it. Alot of stations these days are going towards having servers running their shows. TCM is probably no exception. What the operator does is that he/she will "load" the show or movie from the videotape to the computer hard drive then another computer will put this on air.

As for DVDing of old films, I hate to say this, but DVDs has replaced the VHS as the preferred mode of viewing films. Besides, within a few years, when all of TV land will be in HDTV, the VHS player will be obsolete.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know, the TV station that I work at last used a telecine in 1993.

Get use to the technology since it isn't going back to the old days. Also, with technology, it will allow future generations to see these old films. I do get to see them on television more often than in a theatre.

I agree that we should respect the traditions of movie making,but I disagree with the viewpoint that digitizing and/or dvding movies is wrong. Let us remember that there are many movies from the golden age of Hollywood that have been lost forever due to the fragile nature of the film that was used. If a dvd or other digital medium of storage can be utilized,I say better that than losing it. True,a film to film transfer could be done,but why not use the more durable format? Colorizing movies was and is wrong,but this is another matter entirely,in my view. Colorizing tampered with the vision and "purity" of the original film and filmmaker. Digitizing is simply the best available method of ensuring the films we know and enjoy can not only be SAVED but SHOWN and shown often.

• 1 year later...

The other thing to keep in mind is that many films are restored to their former glory as part of the transfer to DVD.

In some cases, this means that people have taken the time to scour the vaults for lost or mislabeled footage, the soundtracks are cleaned up, the color restored. All this helps prolong the life of the film.

WB is often able to offset the very costly restoration with money generated by the dvd sales.

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

Okay, here it is again. Is this a rumor, is this hysteria, or is this the truth? I would really like to know, once and for all.

jazzcatster, you say: Besides, within a few years, when all of TV land will be in HDTV, the VHS player will be obsolete.

How so? I thought the crooks in charge of conspicuous consumption were going to force me to either buy a 'box' that will transmit the new HDTV signal, or force me to buy another television equipped with HDTV, whichever makes more sense at the time.

HOW exactly are my VCRs and VHS tapes going to be obsolete?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

stoney,

Dont toss the vcr,tapes or dvd's just yet!The info I have is that within the next 4 years or so the FCC will require stations to be in HD .However analog tvs can still be used. With an addition of a converter,you will be able to get HD. Without it, the picture will be the same as it is now. DVD'S and DVD players improve quickly so we will have to be ready for change.