Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There'd have to be three different box sets, one each for Kaye's Goldwyn, Paramount, and MGM films. Then there're ME AND THE COLONEL (Columbia), and THE INSPECTOR GENERAL (Warner's, but in the Public Domain).

• 10 months later...

I, also, would like them to come out boxed sets for Danny Kaye. I love all his movies, and he is one of my very favorites... If anybody has any knowledge on this issue, or if someone will have any knowledge, please let us know. I would buy them.

I've always loved Kaye (he sent me an autographed 8" x 10" still photo of himself when I was 13), but the fact is that his movie career can be boiled down to this simple equation: there's THE COURT JESTER, and then there's everything else he ever did. THE COURT JESTER is exquisite and timeless, whereas the others are just competent, and often glossy, vehicles that never quite exploited his talents properly.

If he'd only made that one, splendid film, he'd be remembered.

You are right, THE COURT JESTER was definitely one of his very best, but I thought that THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY was his best. You're right in that that is the one that everyone knows and loves of him, but Danny Kaye was too great of an actor to be simplified by one great movie, and therefore I believe they all were good (in spite of the fact that they all make me laugh and have a lot of fun....). He was genius!

I wouldn't argue with the quality of The Court Jester. It is great fun. But I would have to say the best film Danny Kaye appears in is White Christmas and his best performance is a Hans Christian Anderson.

I have Merry Andrew available "On Demand" right now and turned it off after about 15 minutes. I may go back and give it another try soon but it certainly wasn't too interesting in the early going.

Kyle In Hollywood

Was it that bad?

Merry Andrew was one of the earliest movies - maybe the first with Danny Kaye - I ever remember seeing. The "Tickety-Boo" and "Hypotenuse" numbers have been rolling around in my head for the 40+ years since. Also, the chance to see Salvatore Baccaloni (the great operatic bass) in one of his few movie roles. I try never to miss it when it's on, even though I've recorded it several times in the past.

Bill

It's remarkable that Danny doesn't have a boxed set, and I quite agree with the three volume idea for the three main studios he worked with.

My personal favourite of Danny's films are the Goldwyn films. Yes, the Court Jester is timeless, and White Christmas and The Five Pennies are excellent films, but my heart belongs to the Goldwyn years. Having titles like Wonder Man, The Kid From Brooklyn, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and Hans Christian Andersen in a boxed set they deserve would be such a treat as they are certainly some of the most delightful, charming films I've ever seen.

And I agree with you. The Goldwyn years were the best, even though all of his are good. Have you seen Up In Arms (his very first movie)? I think that was Goldwyn, also, right? Anyway, a boxed set (or hopefully two or three) is definitely something they need to come up with.

Danny Kaye is the best! I don''t, as a rule, like comedians. Very, very few exceptions. I love comedy but I like it when someone like Cary Grant, who is not known especially for comedy, plays the lead, not a comedian. Danny Kaye is my biggest exception to that rule, along with Red Skelton. My favorite movie is Hans Christian Anderson and my least favorite role is that of "Walter Mitty". A boxed set would be really good, but personally, I would much prefer they release his TV show. That would be wonderful! He was great on TV - anyone see his role on The Cosby Show? It was too funny!! :)

Yes of course, I adore Up in Arms! Especially Dinah Shore's version of Tess' Torch Song-- great stuff, that.

I think it's funny that Virginia Mayo was set to star in the film but (for reasons I can't remember) was replaced at the last minute. She instead starred (of course) in Kaye's next film, Wonder Man. But she's still in Up in Arms-- in the chorus, singing with the other WACS just before Danny ships off. Remember that bit?

Yeah, I actually do remember that bit. I was intrigued when I found out that she was one of the Goldwyn Girls before she became his co-star. It was really cool to see her and be able to say, "Hey! That's Virginia Mayo!". That's a good movie.

I'll take Mitty. It's got Danny and Virginia and loads of 40s cheescake. But who doesn't recall the first time they heard this exchange from The Court Jester?

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!

Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?

Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.

Hawkins: A flagon...?

Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.

Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.

Griselda: Right.

Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Griselda: Just remember that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know how who to contact @TCM to find out if a movie is scheduled with going through day-by-day. Trying to find if they are planning on running Merry Andrew in the future. I understand that it aired in January around the 24th, but my mother is on a mission to find this movie. Thanks!