Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greatest Movie Endings

filmlover,

I agree. I have watched "Field Of Dreams" many, many times. I am amazed every time I watch the thing at Kevin Costner's ability to convincingly deliver the line, "You wanna have a catch?".

That moment just "get's to me"...sniff.

Rusty

Without question for me it's 2001 A Space Odyssey. For the first time viewer, the final 20 minutes are a transcendent experience. Even with repeated viewing's (I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many times I've seen it) it still excites and startles the senses. A film I will never, ever grow tired of watching.

CineSage jr Good to have someone else out there that knows a little history. I always had the same problem with this film. It's a good film with lots of good actors but the dramatic license goes a little to far. The Luftwaffe was being replaced by the SS and or Gestapo at some POW camps but certainly not all, so Von Luger might have been relieved of that command but most certainly was given new orders directing him to a different camp or, more likely, to a unit on the Eastern Front. Being sent to the Russian Front was considered much worse than being shot. Experienced officer's were in short supply and if you noticed Von Luger's decorations, he is wearing the Pour le Merite which would make him a veteran of WWI and holder of Germany's most honored metal, as was the Luftwaffe Commander Reichsmarschall Goering. Very possible they knew each other personally. Right again about being saluted. I think "salute first and ask questions later" is the correct phrase.

So many great endings mentioned . . .

Great Expectations (Dir. David Lean). The ending is just the cherry on top of this great film. It still tops my list of all-time favorites after decades of classic film viewing! Highly recommend.

maperette

My only recollection of 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) was the moment my father announced we were leaving the theater after about 20 minutes into the movie. I was 11 years old then.

Evidently he didn't enjoy it or just didn't get it. So far I have not seen the complete movie from start to finish. Maybe one day I'll get around to viewing it.

Bill

for all the complaints, I really didn't reveal THAT much about the ending, only 2 or 3 scenes. In a Malick film, two or three scenes as such last a couple of seconds. The ending takes much longer than that. so filmlover, take my word for it, I did NOT spoil the ending and I definetely did NOT spoil the movie.

back to the original post -

Days of Heaven (1978) had a great ending "I was hopin things would a'work out for her. She was a good friend of mine."

Great last line.

Maybe you should call it: 2001 A Space Oddity instead. I've seen bits and pieces here and there in reviews and recaps of television and it looks and drawn out to me. Perhaps there's a reason I've never really ventured to see it.

Bill

Imagine the 10 minute scene where Kirk and Scott are in the shuttle viewing the redesigned Enterprise from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." Now imagine it as a 3 hour film. I think Kubrick fell in love with his visuals so much that he forgot to make a movie.

I remember seeing Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979). The line at the theater stretched down the block and around the corner.

As the first wave of viewers came out onto the street, the people still in line were asking: "How was the movie?" The first response I heard was: "It's a waste of time."

How is it that some pictures just miss the mark completely? Or a remake that should have never been remade at all? Or a sequel to a great movie that now has nothing to do with the original story line?

Bill

wmruffin,

I had the same experience as your "Star Trek" experience, except the movie was that piece of s***--"Exorcist II: The Heretic". Oh yeah...we (my brother and I) were not the fools waiting in line to get into that piece of s***. We were the fools who had waited in line and paid our money and wasted two hours watching that piece of s***.

"Exorcist II" remains about the worst movie I have ever wasted hours of my life watching. I'll write it one more time--"Exorcist II: The Heretic"...what a piece of s***!

Rusty

Rusty:

One of the worst sequels I've seen recently comes from the Child's Play (1988) series Seed Of Chucky (2004). What were they thinking? And did you have the misfortune of seeing it as well?

Bill

Rusty:

I have two grand daughters ages 5 & 6 so I was forced to buy the entire Child's Play series which means I have to play this movie every other week or so when they spend the weekends with us.

For one reason or another (which a child of their ages could only understand) they love it, and can watch it over and over and over again.

Bill

wmruffin,

"Child's Play"--yes, I have watched.

"Seed Of Chucky"--are you kidding? I will rent "Seed Of Chucky". Maybe, "Seed Of Chucky" will plummet below "Exorcist II: The Heretic" on my "worst piece of s***" list.

Thinking about the topic, to 'hit' bottom of my "worst piece of..." list, the movie has to be bad and disappointing. For instance, "Exorcist II" is a sequel to a great movie--"The Exorcist". Is "Child's Play" a great movie? I (simply) don't remember.

Rusty

Rusty:

I wouldn't say that Child's Play is a great movie but rather an interesting one. Seed of Chucky is the pits. Simply the pits.

The original storyline got lost somewhere along the line. That's what I look for in a sequel. Does it follow the basic story format.

Bill

Rusty:

It's like Beverly Hills Cop (1984) & Beverly Hills Cop 2 (1987) both have good story lines I think. But by the time Beverly Hills Cop 3 (1994) came out, it lost something for me and I just couldn't get into it. Do you know what I mean?

Bill

I am with you Bill and phantomfirefly. The ending of "The Color Purple" was something. When Whoopi Goldberg's children came driving up after all that time and distance. Then when that great big young man held his arms out to Whoopi and with a little hesitation and alot of excitement said, "Momma ??!!" Sure got to me.

I don't like sports, and don't have even the slightest sentimental attachment to them, but I'm not at all averse to good sports movies like "Bull Durham" or "Eight Men Out" or "North Dallas Forty." But I really, really hated "Field of Dreams" mostly on the grounds that it was just a kind of silly fantasy. The definining moment is when Kevin Costner tells Amy Madigan of his dream and she says she'll support him in whatever he does. If you're into this movie, if you think it speaks to you, then Amy Madigan is more or less voicing your own thoughts. Me, I wanted to slap her. I howled at that scene in "Sleepless in Seattle" where they were talking about men boo-hooing over "Field of Dreams," but I also realized again that I just didn't connect with it. I remember playing catch in the backyard with my late Dad, but these are memories to which I am almost wholly, completely indifferent. They weren't formative experiences at all, but that's just me.

'Fraid I don't remember any reference to "Field of Dreams" in "Sleepless in Seattle." I do recall Tom Hanks and his brother-in-law getting maudlin over the end of "The Dirty Dozen" to rib Rita Wilson's crying over the end of "An Affair to Remember."

I really enjoyed FOD because of its connection to early vintage baseball. My only complaint was casting Ray Liotta to play Shoeless Joe Jackson. Liotta played him as a right-handed New Yawker, but Jackson was left-handed and from South Carolina.

Other than that, I choose to "suspend my disbelief." This is advice I always give my daughter whenever she questions motivations of actors or the credibility of some actions or reactions to way the movie is presented. One could tear apart the logic of almost any movie made if one wanted to, but where's the fun in that?

CharlieT

RodneyPWelch,

The "Field Of Dreams" baseball theme is a McGuffin. The "Field Of Dreams" characters really care about baseball. The "Field Of Dreams" audience is not required to care about baseball. I certainly did not care about the baseball theme in "Field Of Dreams". The baseball stuff could easily have been, oh..."I did not model railroad enough with my dad", or "I did not go on enough fishing trips with my dad", or "I turned thirteen years old and f***ed off my dad".

One more comment. Thinking about CharlieT's "suspend my disbelief" comment.

--Kevin Costner's character in "Field Of Dreams" hears a disembodied voice (presumably God).

--Kevin Costner's character in "Field Of Dreams" has ghosts frolicking around his back yard.

--Kevin Costner's character 'gives a ride' to a dead person.

Considering the supernatural elements of "Field Of Dreams", the movie is a "silly fantasy".

Rusty