Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was the last film you saw?

What did you think of it? And what would you give it? (out of 10 stars)

For example - the last film I saw was "Gentleman's Agreement" with Gregory Peck directed by Elia Kazan. It was surprisingly thoughtful and provocative, and probably quite daring for the time.I particularily liked Mr. Peck's performance.

7/10

anonymous124,

The last noteworthy film I saw was yesterday evening--a Netflix DVD of the film-noir "Pickup On South Street".

The movie is a must-see for film-noir fans, Richard Widmark fans, Sam Fuller fans, Thelma Ritter fans and anyone who enjoys 80 minutes of non-stop (crime genre) entertainment.

The director, Sam Fuller, is well known for creating tough, no-nonsense films--war, westerns, crime, oddities ("Shock Corridor"). He's at the 'top of his game' in "Pickup On South Street". Richard Widmark is perfect as the cynical pick-pocket. Thelma Ritter shines as the 'stoolie'.

This is a Criterion disk and has extras that I actually watched. Of particular note is a Sam Fuller biography. Interesting overview of his career (Sam Fuller was quite an individual) and a fair number of graphics interspersed throughout the text. A couple of photos of Sam Fuller's WWII diary are especially interesting.

I wish I could view a Sam Fuller movie discussed in the biography--"The Baron Of Arizona". Alas, not released on DVD.

Rusty

anonymous124,

I taped "Gentleman's Agreement", and also enjoyed Peck's performance. I was really impressed with John Garfield (aka Julius Garfinkel). He felt the film was very important, and so took an important supporting role, just to be in the film. I thought he was excellent.

I am almost certain I taped it off TCM, but just can't quite recall.

yeah, that was a great film.

Cache (2006) Directed by Michael Haneke

Starring the wonderful Juliette Binoche and Daniel Auteil.

10/10

WARNING - the following review contains

---------------SPOILERS--------------------(not really bad ones but still you might want to see the film before you read this)

Has anyone seen this film? It just came out and is INCREDIBLE. Many people didn't get it when they were leaving the theater. They complained the ending didn't explain who the "taper" was. I guess they didn't realize the whole film was a metaphor for the War in Iraq - note how

A) The conflict here is between rich, bourgeoisie Europeans and poor Muslims

B) The extended shot of the news program showing the War in Iraq

C) Auteil uses constantly the phrase "terrorized" to describe how he and his family

are being taped

D) The "taper" almost impossibly is never seen when he strikes, unable to catch (Osama Bin Laden, anybody?)

E) Auteil says - "This is what they want us to do, get mad at each other and split apart." (!!! How more obvious can the references get?)

F) The family accuses the first muslims that come to mind, one they had problems with many years before(problems Auteil (the right) hid from his wife Binoche (the left), then discover they are clearly innocent of the crime - a little too late - they've already "invaded"

G) The ending - the "taper" (Osama Bin Laden) still has not been found, and lives have been destroyed.

I'll think of more reasons later, but seriously, how much more obvious can you get? I mean, did Haneke have to put up a big sign that said, "IRAQ, PUNK???"

Message was edited by:

anonymous124

I just finished watching The Quiet Man with my dad actually. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but it was just as good as I remembered.

I was never quite in love with John Wayne, mostly because I don't like westerns much, but I do like him alot in this film. And Maureen O'Hara, well what is there to say? That fiesty temper and that gorgeous red hair. Whoever said Technicolor was created for that girl was right.

I give the movie 8.5/10. :)

I Sell Anything, which I got around to seeing while my wife was out on Friday night. Thank goodness she did go out because she wanted to watch Mr. Jones with Richard Gere. Ugh.

In I Sell Anything, Pat O'Brien was his usual fast-talking self, sometimes a bit dense, other times amazingly sophisticated. He's always a pleasure to watch. With Russell Hopton, Roscoe Karns, Ann Dvorak, Claire Dodd, Robert Barrat and other familiar Warner faces rounding out the cast, I wasn't let down for once.

The last noteworthy film I saw was yesterday evening--a Netflix DVD of the film-noir "Pickup On South Street".

Did you dig Widmark's crazy refrigerator? I was watching a Martin & Lewis Colgate Hour on DVD the other night and was surprised to see Sam Fuller's name in the credits.

I know all you guys are fascinated with all this talk of Samsung housings. Riveting topic that it is. :P

But I thought I'd bump this thread and update. Cus it's a helluva lot tastier than SPAM! :D

Last night, I watched "I Love You Again".

Can't get enough William Powell/Myrna Loy lately as I've been working my way through my Thin Man boxed set.

So what are you guys watching now?

Updates! I want updates!

pktrekgirl,

Oh, f*** movies. I tell you what I am NOT reading--my (just arrived in the mail) Errol Flynn auto-biography. Why? My wife is reading the thing. I got to page three (Errol Flynn recounts the 'dying words' of his business manager, "...tell Errol I'm sorry") and 'good-bye' book.

Oh well. My wife is a very fast reader. I will get my hands on the book...tomorrow.

Rusty

i've been watching the luxurious new busby berkeley set. so far i've watched "gold diggers of 1933" and "footlight parade." i loved them a lot. WB really did an exceptional job with the restoration and the featurettes along with the vintage cartoons and shorts.

Hi Rusty!

Well, I'm glad you got the book! That's great! I am eager to know what both you and your wife think of it. I know I was pimpin' it pretty heavily there for a while, and so I'm hoping you will find it as entertaining as I did. :)

Hope you get to read your new book soon! *lol*

And btw, I can't even imagine how Errol must have felt when he received those dying words. It's like his business manager said "Screw you, Errol....But I'll be gentle about it". *rolleyes*

He's SORRY???

At that point, it was a bit late for 'sorry'. *sigh*

I'm jealous, too, shearerchic! I was planning on running out first thing on Tuesday and buying the Busby Berkeley set, but then my hubby took me out for a fancy dinner on Friday that he had been planning for 2 weeks, so there went all the spending money! I'm not complaining about that, BUT it is hard waiting until next payday!

Last film I saw was VALLEY GIRL with Nicolas Cage. I own the dvd. Hey, it is actually a decent movie! I'm a sad woman who still will not get rid of her Go-Go's and Duran Duran LPs...lol!

Before that, I watched FROM HERE TO ETERNITY which I had recorded off TCM during the infamous 31 Days of Oscar. I thought it was a wonderful film, great performances. I've never seen Deborah Kerr look so sexy as she does in this movie. I never got her appeal before seeing this one--she always seemed kind of matronly to me. Much has been made of Donna Reed playing a goodtime gal in this film, but Reed has always seemed to me to possess a girl-next-door sex appeal. (As evidenced by the telephone scene with Jimmy Stewart in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.) Sinatra, Burt Lancaster and Monty Clift all gave wonderful, layered performances.

Sandy K