Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Star of the Month would you like to see?

• 2 weeks later...

Ros was a brilliant actress. I love her in PICNIC. And HIS GIRL Friday, of course. THE WOMEN. SISTER KENNY? I can tell you exactly when I saw it. June 6, 1968. Robert Kennedy had been shot. My family stayed up late waiting for news. We watched the movie, but it was interrupted with the news that Kennedy had died. It was years before I saw the end of the movie.

Red River

BOB HOPE

His passing was barely recognized by TCM, which shocked me. Is it because TCM does not have rights to the studio that filmed many of his pictures?

I would like to see all of his Road Pictures and maybe some of his rare movies like "Nothing But The Truth".

I'd love to see Eleanor Parker as Star of the Month. I think this three time Best Actress nominee deserves to be remembered for something other than " The Sound of Music." Of course, many reading this website know exactly who she is and appreciate her.But I think it's a shame that Miss Parker has been sadly forgotten by many people. Any thoughts?

I think at the time of Bob Hope's passing, TCM was not able to lease films from Paramount or Universal as easily as they can now. Most of Hope's films were made for Paramount. However, TCM has been running a number of the Road movies lately. Last winter Bing Crosby was a SOTM and I remember a couple of Road pictures being shown then.

TCM Programmr has posted that they are working out a long term lease for a number of Paramount titles that were unavailable before.

universal bought out the earlier road pictures, but those (i.e. road to rio, road to bali, road to hong kong) were not attained, for something to do with copyrights. i have only seen road to utopia on tcm but i have not been watching for that long. i imagine if they play this road picture, they have probably got the other three earlier films in the cooker.

you can watch my favorite spy or the facts of life, which will be playing in the next month or so. don't expect to be awed with laughter... these two (esp. the second) lacks much of the charm of many other hope movies i could mention here.

oh and please, PLEASE give me peter lorre a sotm! *would shriek and give programmer big sloppy kiss*

bhf1940

• 2 weeks later...

Shirley Temple is a special actress, when she was a little girl. There's nothing about her that I don't like. A whole month of her films would be great!

Warren William would be my second star . His romance scenes with Claudette Colbert in Imitation of Life and with Joan Blondell in Gold Diggers of 1933; his voice and the music in the background , (they don't make movies like these anymore).

I feel tears coming to my eyes, so I better stop. To me, these are heartwarming scenes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see vivien leigh be star of the month. I don't think she's ever been, not in all the time i've had TCM. She never has a day in Summer Under the Stars, she never has a birthday tribute like Bette Davis and other people. I mean her birthday is Sunday and they're doing a Merle Oberon tribute? Dear TCM, what's up? I mean sure, she didn't have that many movies compared to a lot of other people but GWTW takes up 4 whole hours, surely with a few other movies they could make a whole day about it, and she's got enough to fill a whole month. OY.

I agree with Louise Brooks as well, I'd also like to see Laurence Olivier, he's definatley got enought films, and Lillian Gish as well, maybe Carole Lombard too. OH! and David niven

Message was edited by:

medelia

The "bias" against Vivien Leigh is very unusual.

I've been begging for a long, long, long overdue Lady Olivier tribute for years but

for some reason, TCM apparently sees her only as Scarlett...nothing more.

When you consider that "Waterloo Bridge," "A Streetcar Named Desire," "Ship of Fools," "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone," "Fire Over England" and the rarely (if ever) screened "The Deep Blue Sea" are also on Vivien's resume, the indifference becomes even curiouser.

I'd be interested to have the TCM Programmer weigh in on this one because I agree with everyone else here that snubbing Vivien -- a two-time Academy Award winner and an acclaimed performer -- is just plan weird.

PS - Also, how about a Lee Tracy day?

Oh yes agreed 100%, The Deep Blue Sea is so elusive, even on ebay, and I've yet to get my hands on it. They show Waterloo Bridge and even Ship of Fools on TCM on occasion (usually at like 5 am), but what about films like That hamilton Woman and, even if it isn't that good, Ceasar and Cleopatra or Anna karenina. They've shown worse films on TCM. In my opinion she made a better Cleopatra than Liz Taylor did. I mean if they did do even a day devoted to her, they could throw in a biography or something. The one made by TCM back in 1989 is a piece of crap but the A&E biography on her is very good.

Vivien delivered in just about every performance after GWTW and was quite good in lighter comedy roles before she made her big break. I just don't get it, i adore her and can't stand to see her called overrated in anything.

That would be outstanding. I think TCM should put together some sort of biography on Laurence Olivier. I don't think he even has an A&E one. I mean what the heck, that guy was nominated for 10 Oscars in his career.

Message was edited by:

medelia

I hope TCM Nation doesn't think I have lost my mind with this nomination for "Star of the Month": Marjorie Main. She had a glorious career. It almost seems she can be found in at least one movie on TCM's schedule per day. This would also give TCM Programming a chance to broadcast the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies I read about on the TCM Message Board but I have never seen.

I would also nominate Allan Jenkins. He is the male "Marjorie Main" on TCM. A great actor who never got his due and he, like Marjorie Main, is fun to watch.

Perhaps for next October, TCM could have Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee as star of the month. That way they could schedule horror films but also some non-horror films as well. Cushing was in "Vigil in the Night" with Carole Lombard, Olivier's "Hamlet" and Huston's "Moulin Rouge." Lee was in "The Crimson Pirate," Powell's "Pursuit of the Graf Spee," Lester's "Three Musketeers," Wilder's "Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" and Spielberg's "1941" Okay, that one was pretty dreadful but the rest are films that TCM would show at any time.

Or perhaps for October, have Lionel Atwill as star of the month. He had plenty of horror films but also "Captain Blood" and "To Be Or Not to Be" and "The Devil is a Woman."