Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who was the King/Queen of Sarcastic one-liners?

filmlover,

"Ned Sparks". That was the guy in the first "Imitation of Life" and, uhm...42nd Street.

Another big cigar guy.

After watching the 1934 version of "Imitation of Life", I wondered for a long time, "who was that guy?". "Ned Sparks", that's who. He was a unique screen personality.

You might be asking, "I wondered for a long time"? Before I knew there was such a thing as IMDB.

Rusty

There is also one of those Warner Bros cartoons, might be Hollywood Steps Out, where they have a cartoon version of him in the middle of this glamorous night club, looking glumly saying, "I never go anywhere, I never do anything." Very funny. He was in a lot of movies.

• 1 month later...

I agree, Oscar Levant in just about all his films.

I'm throwing in Eve Arden in Mildred Pierce. Her Ida had some of the best lines in the film. Whether it was putting Jack Carson's Wally in his place, lamenting about the lack of men in her life, or expressing her opinions about child rearing, Ida told you what she thought in no uncertain terms!

The best seem to have been named already, but George Sanders in Rebecca and James Mason in NxNW are so suave and polished, I like them in spite of the fact they both need a good butt-kickin'.

Eve Arden was the saucy saint of sarcasm in many, many roles. Ranging from 1937's Stage Door ("Say are you going to catch the opening tonight?" Eve: "No, I'm going tomorrow to catch the closing."), to Cover Girl ("What would you do if your youth should walk through this door?" Eve: "I'd put braces on its teeth.") all the way up to 1978's Grease ("I just got my hands on the schedules." Eve: "Oh goody, they'll be nice and smudged.") Wry.

Great quotes Jack! What about this quote of hers from "Mildred Pierce": "Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young." I have always loved it!