Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your kibitzing and support were welcome, allieharding. I had to go to reference material to make sure that I didn't miss the best ones. Funny how it turned into an interesting game, though. Until you look him up, you tend to forget how many films Robin Williams made.... from farce to fanciful to fantastic.

CharlieT

No doubt that Robin Williams is a funny man. The 4 time Oscar nominee also put in some fine performances including the already mentioned "Good Will Hunting", "Dead Poet's Society" and also in "Awakenings", "The Fisher King", "Patch Adams", "One Hour Photo", etc.

Actually he was perfect as "Popeye" (looked and acted just like 'em) only it's too bad that the script and story sucked.

There is also "Seize the Day" (1986) in which he was outstanding.

Of his 52 films I believe Mr. Williams played a gay individual in only one movie, "The Birdcage", and he was hilarious dressed as a woman, under the circumstances, in "Mrs. Doubtfire". Can't wait for "Mrs. Doubtfire 2" which is in pre-production.

Now, if he would only host the Oscar's. He would most likely blow the roof off the Kodak Theatre, and liven things up.

What a great idea, mongo, having Williams host the Oscars. A little bit more engaging than Billy Crystal or Jon Stewart. Too bad we can't bring Bob Hope in his prime back to life once a year. Do you remember one year awhile back the Academy got a bunch of people, six or seven, to co-host the show? That was so successful I remember who one of them was.

Cold. Blustery. No snow today. Just waiting for the real spring to show up. We're hoping that March came in like a lamb, becomes a lion in the middle, and goes out like a lamb. Monday we supposed to reach the 50's. If you notice, the map shows a strong front stationed over Dolly Parton, with increasing winds coming from the direction of Washington, D.C.

Hope everything's OK up there in the Great White North. Coo-CooCooCoo-CooCooCooCooo

There will be a North Easter that comes in on April 5 - 11 that will knock your socks off - 18 inches of snow from Chicago, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York and ending in Maine.

I'm really ignorant when it comes to the Mann pictures in June, so I will get an education.

Hopefully, we will be all done with "Plaza Suite" after next month. I am sure that it will not be missed. These movies like "Plaza Suite", "Benji", "Karate Kid", "Good Times", "Lovers and Other Strangers", "Airport" etc., are not being aired by request I am sure. So why are they on multiple times???

I can only guess that these are personal favorites of the TCM programmer? The TCM programmer should have a look at the schedules made by the members of this board and maybe learn something. He should note, that none of the aforementioned movies are on anyone's schedule. Also, he should note that nobody has decided to repeat the same movie twice in a week like the TCM Programmer frequently does. The clever "themes" such as "Suspended Animation" should not be a justification to show lousy movies.

The only good thing about Good Times is the presence of George Sanders, and even that's not enough to make me sit through it. The other films are just ridiculous. I think the TCM programmer qualified why Airport was being shown before being struck from the schedule for, hopefully, a long long while. I'm still waiting for Hard to Handle with Cagney and The Little Giant with Edward G. Robinson to turn up again. I just can't figure out why Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Hoosiers (the latter obviously part of a Gene Hackman night) and a few others I think you mentioned are on. Mind-boggling.

Well, actually, I almost put Airport on my list under my Great Film Composers day because Alfred Newman's score for this is excellent. I left it off to concentrate on another of his films where I thought the score was better.

Well, I watched bits and pieces of "Plaza Suite" last night while I was actually doing other stuff. I usually skip the late 60's and forward stuff on TCM, but I was messing 'round on the net and left it on in the background.

My verdict: What an incredibly annoying movie. :(

I do hope they don't play this one often.

Johnny, yeah he did some good post-noir Westerns too. To be honest, I haven't seen all of them...looking forward to it.

Winchester '73

The Naked Spur

El Cid

are all pretty good.

And his noir stuff is very unique.

Desperate

Raw Deal

T-Men

Railroaded

He Walked By Night

Border Incident

Side Street

....all are good ones.

Yeah, there's enough Mann pictures I haven't seen either. That's why I'm looking forward to them. I've never seen El Cid; I've always avoided it for some reason and I've never had the option of checking out Desperate or Side Street or Raw Deal. I love Winchester '73 and saw The Naked Spur a few months back but I don't think it's in the same league. I was impressed with Man of the West and Gary Cooper (though I'm usually impressed by Cooper). Too bad he didn't do more with him. He Walked By Night blew my boots off the first time I saw it, as did Border Incident. I messed up T-Men when it shown during the Oscar tribute so that and the others are definitely eagerly awaited.

It's great that TCM is showing "El Cid". For many years the rights kept it from being shown or availble.

Am looking forward to watching "the Cid". It's been too long.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie . . .

Will you never learn? How many times do I have to tell you, "Don't get into a poker game (or any other kind of game) with Constarkel - she'll bluff you out everytime." But you will enjoy the trip.

For shame. You'll never play cards in this town again!!

Ralph "It's Cold Out Here for a Pimp" Taylor

• 1 month later...

Since I just received my June Now Playing Guide, I can fill in the blanks wrt something I knew nothing about when I first posted about that month's schedule:

Billy Wilder Speaks (2006), followed by 6 of his movies, is a feature length documentary created from a three part German TV interview, done with the director in 1988. It's U.S. television premiere will be June 22nd.

Anthony Quinn is indeed the SOTM, 26 of his films will be shown in addition to the 1999 Private Screenings with Robert Osborne (which will air twice).

Additionally, Mia Farrow will be the guest programmer on June 15th, among her selections is Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon (1950) and the TCM premiere of Fanny and Alexander (1982). Twenty-two of director Anthony Mann's movies will air on Tuesdays and there will be a 50-film tribute celebrating "The 50 Most Unforgettable Actresses of the Studio Era" starting each Monday at 8 PM ET, which dovetails with a Leading Ladies book.