Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JanePowellFan

Orchestra Wives

Orchestra wives is really dated movie and has a great atmosphere, Glenn Millers band appear but curiously call themselves 'The Gene Morrison band', some of the womens fashions in this movie are great as are the songs like 'At Last', I liked Carol Landis who was at her sarcastic cutting best, just like she was in 'Hotspot', aside from having one of the most voluptuous figures ever in movies carol always looked great on screen and photographs really well, if you havn't seen this movie and like to watch period-pieces from the 1940s then check it out.

Today,I was just describing this movie to one of the women I work with. I couldn't for the life of me remember George Montgomery's name. The music is great, even if you can't get into the storyline. This is available on DVD, but I'm still looking for "Sun Valley Serenade" to be released.

As a side note, it's interesting that Harry Morgan played the soda jerk in this movie with the real Glenn Miller and also played in "The Glenn Miller Story" with Jimmy Stewart as Glenn's friend Chummy (although it might have been a fictitious character created for effect and story telling.)

I did manage to tape both of these on VHS last year after putting them on my Christmas list for the last several years.

Another side note. Scenes from "Sun Valley Serenade" are featured in "Myra Breckenridge." Prior to seeing it, I didn't even know that there were any movies that Glenn Miller was in. Having been a fan of GM since I was a boy, I tried forever to find out what the name of the movie was and finally lucked out in discovering it. Then learned that there was a movie named "Orchestra Wives" and the hunt began all over again.

I recommend both of these movies to all fans of big band music.

CharlieT

Charlie T, nice to meet another GM fan, I've been collecting as much GM as possible for years, whats your favourite GM number, I love STARDUST and PERFIDIA but of course I love them all. Seeing as you're such a big GM fan you probably might have some these live recordings that are available free on-line but I've added a link in case you havn't, by the way do you like Jimmy and Tommy? I especially like Jimmys rendition of SO RARE that was released around 1957, to my mind one of the best songs ever recorded.

http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/bigbands.htm

Hi, JPF.

I learned to love GM when I was little, but I think that I found most of the other big band stars in my teens. One year for Christmas, my parents bought the entire family a record player and included the album "This is Glenn Miller." I was about 7 or 8 at the time. My favorite from that album - and still my fav - is "Chattanooga Choo Choo." Later I found "I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo." Really, just about anything he did makes me smile.

As far as the other big band greats, I guess I'm like a top 40's fan. The popular, often-played tunes are the ones I like. I probably couldn't identify some of the "flip side" tunes that real fans know by heart. Goodman, Ellington, Shaw, Basie and the Dorseys all make some wonderful sounds, but beyond their hits, I plead ignorance. Still enjoy them - just can't rattle of name and date like the experts of the genre.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and let you know what I think. Can't imagine it would be anything but wonderful.

CharlieT

Hello again, JanePowellFan.

I checked out the link you provided yesterday, but it had an error loading and wouldn't work. So I went back today and I must say I'll spend a lot of time there in the future. I have a GM CD that is all live broadcasts that even includes some of the Chesterfield commercials. These broadcasts are along the same line and give a chance to expand my big band experiences.

Coincidentally, I fell asleep watching FMC last night and woke up just in time to see "Myra Breckenridge" again. It's an odd movie, but interspersed throughout were film clips from lots of classic movies. If they could get past the ridiculous plot, many of the buffs at this site would love trying to identify the movies and actors shown in those clips.

Thanks, again.

CharlieT

CharlieT, Glad you found the link useful, there is some great stuff on that website for anyone who loves classic movies and stars, my favourite show there is the SEALTEST VARIETY THEATRE which is compared by Dorothy Lamour who has different guests each show, stars like Tony Martin, Donald O'Conner, David Niven, etc, top acts for a top 1940s show.

Orchestra Wives on at 12 noon today on FMC. Hope you get to see it.

CharlieT

I love this movie and own it on DVD. Some snappy dialogue and lots of really great music. What a beautiful arrangement of "At Last"! Lynn Bari sounds suspiciously like Pat Friday. ;)

I'm always shocked that the father figure was so supportive of her running away with this trumpet player. And it's great to see Ann Rutherford doing something besides picking cotton or chasing after Andy Hardy.

I agree with you, Jack, about Ann Rutherford. I think that she is really charming in ORCHESTRA WIVES.

Sandy K

CharleyT,

I too am a GM fan but I've had a question that no one could answer. Maybe you can. I've seen the Glenn Miller Story many times and I've often wondered where Tex Beneke is. Chummy seems to be the charachter that is Tex. . Even Chatanooga Choo-Choo is sung by Frances Langford in the movie and not Tex who made the recording famous. Do you know the answer?

Thanks.

EJ

I taped this the day they had the special series on the Fox Channel, I've been waiting to see it but I heard some of the music while it was taping and it was really nice. :)

What a shame. Thank you, Ms. Ayres, for that update (via Wikipedia). I had no idea about that backstory. It's a delight to see all these talents performing in Orchestra Wives; it's disheartening to see that it unraveled just a few years later.

Thank you Ms Ayers. I thought something like that happened but, I was not able to find anything that verified it. I still enjoy listening and watching to the GREAT sounds of that era.

Ernie Jackson

"Anyone know if the DVD has any good extras?"

There's only one added feature, but it's a doozy: Fayard Nicholas and Ann Rutherford give the audio commentary.

I would say so. There's a really magic moment in this film for me. It's near the beginning, when the band is playing in an outdoor pavilion and kids are dancing all around it. The band launches into "At Last," and there's a breeze gently blowing as the young people crowd around the stand to listen to the music and watch the trumpeter and singer. Although I love rock music, too, I cried the first time I saw this, because it's a youth culture that is completely gone--and it was so romantic and grown-up.